Author Topic: How well do the Celtics fare if the players play this well?  (Read 6960 times)

How well do the Celtics fare if the players play this well?
« on: August 23, 2014, 11:50:51 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Here's a hypothetical scenario:

-One of Favarani/Zeller steps up to give Spencer Hawes-level production at center (with better defense but less three-point shooting), while the other is an adequate back-up NBA center
-Either Sullinger or Olynyk clearly proves to be an above-average NBA starting power forward now, not just the potential to be one.
-Avery Bradley continues to improve on offense and threatens to be in the top 10-15 in three-point percentage
-Rondo plays well enough that the consensus among Celtics fans is that he should be re-signed with a raise on his next contract, but not necessarily the max.
-Jeff Green is...Jeff Green.  Despite everyone else upping their game, Green is neither better nor worse but continues to perform at the consistent level he has always performed at, making you believe that his numbers wouldn't change much if you put four Hall of Famers in the starting lineup next to him.
-Marcus Smart plays well for a rookie and looks like he could be a potential Sixth Man of the Year candidate in a few years backing up Bradley and Rondo.
-James Young gives enough to not look like a complete bust.
-Brandon Bass and Gerald Wallace play as well as they did last season.
-Evan Turner doesn't look completely useless and doesn't seem to affect team chemistry negatively.
-Marcus Thornton isn't as worthless as MarShon Brooks
-Brad Stevens shows the ability to coach this team to a top-ten defense

How do the Celtics look if it all comes together like that?
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

Re: How well do the Celtics fare if the players play this well?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2014, 12:12:30 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
if all that happens we barely miss the playoff and we miss out on Towns and Okafor.

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2014, 12:49:02 AM »

Offline Vox_Populi

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 346
if all that happens we barely miss the playoff and we miss out on Towns and Okafor.
Or barely get the 8th-7th seed, get destroyed by Cleveland or Chicago and miss out on Towns or Okafor.

Unless Rondo has a unanimous max contract season that turns the entire team around, something like CP3's first season at the Clips, then I don't see the needle moving much past low seed mediocrity.

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2014, 05:14:20 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
ultimately the problem is our shooting and interior defense. Zeller and Faverani just aren't gonna cut it as a big man tandem. No matter how well everyone else plays, teams will just exploit our weakness inside.
I'd say we'd have a great shot at having one of the best defensive guard rotations in the NBA- there's only so much those guards can do vs the starting big men of the NBA though.

Somehow we need to add an rim protector of at least an Asik caliber. Then we can start talking about playoffs.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2014, 07:01:32 AM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
I think(hope) Marcus Smart plays so well that it forces us to think about trading Rondo and he is in running or wins ROY. I think thats best case scenario for us and Marcus  and I will be rooting for that.

I think this year is more about player development, doing trade or trades for a rim protector(Biz), and going into lottery hoping for a top 4 pick.

I also think James Young will surprise a lot of people. His type of game translates very well in the NBA and he has the length and athleticism to go along with skill.

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2014, 07:43:53 AM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
I think the only way Smart plays is at the 2 backing up bradley. unless rondo gets dealt.

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2014, 09:04:54 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
We could be Sneaky Good..... With Brandon Bass

:P

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2014, 09:33:41 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Somehow we need to add an rim protector of at least an Asik caliber. Then we can start talking about playoffs.

So, Dwight Howard, Joakim Noah, or Marc Gasol?  I don't think there's anyone else on the same tier as Asik defensively.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2014, 10:47:34 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
You forgot Sullinger in your scenario. He proved himself at the NBA level last year with a respectable 13/8 in what was really his first full season. If he can continue to improve, it will make a big difference for the team. If not, then I doubt they make the playoffs.

Other teams have improved as well.

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2014, 11:52:35 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

So, Dwight Howard, Joakim Noah, or Marc Gasol?  I don't think there's anyone else on the same tier as Asik defensively.

I have to assume he also would include athletic rim protectors, like Sanders or Jordan. I am not an enormous Asik fan so I could probably name another dozen or so centers I would prefer, but I understand that what he does he does well.

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2014, 11:55:08 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
You forgot Sullinger in your scenario. He proved himself at the NBA level last year with a respectable 13/8 in what was really his first full season. If he can continue to improve, it will make a big difference for the team. If not, then I doubt they make the playoffs.

Other teams have improved as well.

There are also teams that have regressed. I wouldn't be surprised to see Indiana fail to make the playoffs without George and Lance.  The Nets won't have PP and Livingston, and an aging KG and Johnson.  That could go south in a hurry.  The Heat are a fragile team with Wade's constant injury concerns. The Knicks could be worse without Chandler.  I don't see the Hawks roster really all that much better than ours.  I'm not saying we will leapfrog any of these teams, but it could be much closer than we think.

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2014, 03:22:22 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.

DeAndre Jordan, Larry Sanders, Roy Hibbert come to mind. Asik, Hibbert and Jordan will be free agents soon. Sanders could possibly had for a trade. Other option would be going after someone like Clint Capella or Gorji Dieng via trade or draft the next guy that has the potential we're hoping for.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2014, 10:17:41 PM »

Offline incoherent

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 278
  • 7 + 11 = 18
-One of Favarani/Zeller steps up to give Spencer Hawes-level production at center (with better defense but less three-point shooting), while the other is an adequate back-up NBA center
Unlikely to happen. 13ppg/8rbs from either of these guys is a stretch, combined maybe.

-Either Sullinger or Olynyk clearly proves to be an above-average NBA starting power forward now, not just the potential to be one.
Likely to happen. He's already an above average center offensively, and right in the middle as a power forward with a great chance to get better this year.

-Avery Bradley continues to improve on offense and threatens to be in the top 10-15 in three-point percentage
Likely to happen, on the season he's ranked 29th but his post all star % would put him 2nd.

-Rondo plays well enough that the consensus among Celtics fans is that he should be re-signed with a raise on his next contract, but not necessarily the max.
Likely to happen, contract year and actually healthy.

-Jeff Green is...Jeff Green.  Despite everyone else upping their game, Green is neither better nor worse but continues to perform at the consistent level he has always performed at, making you believe that his numbers wouldn't change much if you put four Hall of Famers in the starting lineup next to him.
Extremely likely to happen.

-Marcus Smart plays well for a rookie and looks like he could be a potential Sixth Man of the Year candidate in a few years backing up Bradley and Rondo.
Possible. He should get plenty of touches and some good passes in the 2nd unit playing the 2 next to Pressy.

-James Young gives enough to not look like a complete bust.
Won't matter.. will probably spend most his time in Maine.

-Brandon Bass and Gerald Wallace play as well as they did last season.
Likely to happen. Bass is ever consistent and Gerald couldn't play much worse.

-Evan Turner doesn't look completely useless and doesn't seem to affect team chemistry negatively.
Likely to happen.

-Marcus Thornton isn't as worthless as MarShon Brooks
Is already much better then Brooks.

-Brad Stevens shows the ability to coach this team to a top-ten defense
Unlikely to happen.  This team will be more focused on offensive production to increase the value of it's players.

How do the Celtics look if it all comes together like that?
I think a lot of this can and will happen.  If everything here did actually happen we could win half our games and if we make the playoffs anything can happen.

« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2014, 10:45:48 PM »

Offline Vox_Populi

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 346

Last I checked, for all his issues, Hibbert is also still elite in almost every defensive category. Post up, pick n' roll, blocks, and rim FG%.

« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2014, 11:54:22 AM »

Offline DesertDweller

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 92
lottery, lottery, lottery!!!  just shut up!!!   >:(