Author Topic: Could the Mavs be sneaky good this year?  (Read 4487 times)

Could the Mavs be sneaky good this year?
« on: August 23, 2014, 10:17:24 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
They won 49 games last year... they've added Tyson Chandler, Chandler Parsons, Raymond Felton and Jameer Nelson.  Lots of questions marks there, but Dirk is still getting it done, Monta Ellis was pretty solid and it seems like the Mavs could have a dangerous veteran team this year.   

What do you think of the moves they've made this summer?

Re: Could the Mavs be sneaky good this year?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2014, 10:40:10 PM »

Offline Rick Robeys Return

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 35
  • The bringer of DJ
And they lost Jose Calderon, Vince Carter, Shane Larkin, Shawn Marion among others...I love the Chandler Parsons move, and if he proves out they wont miss the vets as much. Having watched Tyson Chandler in NY the last couple years, his health is THE issue...I am not a fan of replacing Calderon and Larkin with Felton and Nelson, so on the whole unless Parsons really steps up and Tyson Chandler returns to form, I dont see these as more than sideways moves...50 wins represents the upside I think...

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2014, 11:23:46 PM »

Offline Vox_Populi

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 346
They've probably broken about even, I think. They upgraded at the 5, downgraded at the 1, and while Parsons can't defend like Marion, he's a better shooter while having similar all round offensive skills. They picked up Aminu, who is a versatile defender and Nelson can give them some of Carter's shooting while also handling the ball.

So yeah, I'd say a similar year. Unless they get a good match up, I don't see them escaping the first round.

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2014, 11:24:48 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2421
A lot depends on how much Tyson Chandler can give them. He wasn't able to move needle much last year for the Knicks so it's unclear how much he can improve the Mavs. Certainly, in the past, Tyson was a major difference maker ... but is he still?

Dallas had the offense of a top level team last year. They just didn't have the defense. If Tyson Chandler can supply that interior defense for Dallas, then they are a genuine title contender. If not, it'll be much of the same.

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2014, 11:45:56 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I think they quietly had a nice off season.  The West is still a beast though.

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2014, 01:05:50 AM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145
It rides on Tyson Chandler. I see Parsons as a clear upgrade over aging Marion, but they did lose Calderon. Read a good article about Chandler's decline last year, it seems he has regressed dramatically due to his health problems. However, there's no reason to rule out that he could come back healthier and return to DPOY form, in which case they could be really good. In that scenario I imagine they would win 55 games and play GSW in the first round with a decent chance of advancing (and getting executed by the Spurs in round 2).

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2014, 01:39:24 AM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1008
I think they'll be a dark horse in the West just like Portland last year.

Dallas and Portland will surprise the likes of OKC, SAS, HOU and LAC...the big 4 teams who fight for the Western Conference.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2014, 07:27:31 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2975

Dallas and Portland will surprise the likes of OKC, SAS, HOU and LAC...the big 4 teams who fight for the Western Conference.

That about sum it up...... One of those teams will have the right to play Queen LeBron and his eastern all star club for a title

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2014, 07:46:21 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.

I think they'll be a much bigger realistic threat than Portland.
I think Portland was an elite pretender. Best a terrible Rockets team and their thin bench and reliance on jump shooting exposed them.

If healthy I think Dallas will be a legitimate threat and contender for the Western conference.
They're running a very complete roster and multiple scoring threats. I mean they've got 3 guys who could arguably  be All Stars who will all require extensive defensive coverage, they can drain the three as well with Nelson, Felton, Parsons, Ellis and Sir Dirk.
Defense will be good enough if Tyson Chandler is healthy. Carlisle is one of the best coaches in the NBA and they'll be exhausting to play over 7 games and be incredible from three point land.

Huge upgrade for me, now up there with the Clippers, OKC and Spurs...ahead of Golden State and Memphis and Portland.

They're going to be awesome if Chandler + Dirk stay 85% healthy.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2014, 08:03:33 AM »

Offline bleedGREENdon

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 29
What a big front line

Tyson 7'1
Dirk 7'
Parsons 6'9
Ellis 6'5

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2014, 08:19:58 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I think it's interesting that so many people have fallen in love with Dallas as 'dark horse' team in the West this year.

Dirk is still Dirk, so as long as he is still doing his thing Dallas is always going to be competitive. Then there's Ellis, who really seemed to finally find a team and offensive system he fits with. Parsons, meh, he's good but has become wildly overrated by far too many people.   I think Houston actually improved by swapping Parsons for Ariza, due to Parsons lack of defense, particularly compared to Ariza who is near-elite on that end. Losing Marion probably hurts Dallas more than most realize.

As for the other additions, I don't see any of them as moving the needle much. Chandler is just about washed up, Felton is a over weight doughboy, who was probably the worst starting PG last year. Nelson was pretty mediocre the last few years too. Devin Harris is probably the best of that bunch of PG's. Losing Calderón is a big blow to Dallas as well.

I guess my outlook for Dallas is just far more bleak than most. I expect about similar results to last year, possibly they do worse.

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2014, 11:15:27 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Carlisle might be the second best coach in the Western Conference. That doesn't get brought up enough.

They'll be fine: ~50 wins and probably a first or second round out, just like they always do.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2014, 11:45:41 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1773
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Carlisle might be the second best coach in the Western Conference. That doesn't get brought up enough.

They'll be fine: ~50 wins and probably a first or second round out, just like they always do.

If it wasn't for that pesky championship, that would be a totally correct assessment  ;)

But, yeah, I do expect similar results.

« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2014, 11:55:08 AM »

Offline makaveli

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 320
  • The Truth
No doubt they've upgraded their roster, as Mark Cuban usually does, but they will miss Marion. Parsons might be a MIP candidate this year, good for him to get away from Howard/Harden trainwreck-waiting-to-happen. Another thing is, that they have one of the best coaches in the league in Rick Carlisle.
what doesn't kill you makes you stronger

« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2014, 12:24:48 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

If it wasn't for that pesky championship, that would be a totally correct assessment  ;)

But, yeah, I do expect similar results.

Good point, although that championship struck me as a 'best of all possible worlds' scenario, since they were able to dodge the Spurs, the Lakers, and the Grizzlies
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.