Author Topic: Under Rated Aspect of the Minny Trade from Philly's Side  (Read 2142 times)

Under Rated Aspect of the Minny Trade from Philly's Side
« on: August 23, 2014, 04:17:27 PM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
Luc Ricard MBah a Moute is not an overly old or untalented player. He is a legitimate defender and at times has been a serviceable 3 point threat. Where he could far exceed his contract's value is as a mentor for Joel Embiid.

As many are aware Joel Embiid is a late bloomer from Cameroon, what some may not realized is that Luc Ricard Mbah a Moute is from Embiid's same hometown city of Yaoundé,and it was at Moute's camp that Embiid was first discovered. 

The man who is responsible for inspiring and guiding your top 3 pick from Volleyball in high school to the top league in the world, is now a vital part of your rebuilding effort, on a reasonable contract mind you. Pairing the Shved and a pick assets plus Moute's leadership with the fact that he at least doesn't fall off a cliff from in terms of production from what Thaddeus Young gave you, and the more it works out that this is actually is most likely more value for Philly long term than Bennett could have been have been.

It's similar to how KG exceeded his contract value by also functioning as a vital big man coach for the rookies. What are some other situations where players far exceeded their contract's value for reasons other than strait on court production?

Re: Under Rated Aspect of the Minny Trade from Philly's Side
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2014, 04:35:08 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
While I think Bennett certainly provides more basketball value, I agree with your assessment. Young has very similar value to Green. If we had drafted Embiid and made this trade with Green, I would not be terribly disappointed; however, as a fan who wants what is best for the Cs, I would have certainly preferred a Bennett for Green swap.

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2014, 05:07:52 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I would have certainly preferred a Bennett for Green swap

Why Bennetthas been horrible thus far?

There is a guy who says he got better at the end of the year but here are his last few games.

http://espn.go.com/nba/player/gamelog/_/id/2991473/anthony-bennett

He had a few good games at the end but look at those shooting percentages and statistically he is one of the worst ever number one picks in terms of production.

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2014, 05:16:06 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

There is a guy who says he got better at the end of the year but here are his last few games.

He had a few good games at the end but look at those shooting percentages and statistically he is one of the worst ever number one picks in terms of production.
Bennett started showing a lot of improvement as the season progressed.  He looked really good in Summer League.  He was drafted as a raw prospect with potential and he remains a raw prospect with potential.  I wouldn't write him off right now. 

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2014, 05:20:42 PM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
While I think Bennett certainly provides more basketball value, I agree with your assessment. Young has very similar value to Green. If we had drafted Embiid and made this trade with Green, I would not be terribly disappointed; however, as a fan who wants what is best for the Cs, I would have certainly preferred a Bennett for Green swap.

Think I'd do that trade as well if we drafted Embiid. That Green for Bennett swap really does work pretty nicely but that would also be a tough sell to Minny being that he is arguably more valuable to their side due to him being Wiggins countryman.

Minnesota would probably insist on Bennett for the love deal to get done, if certain reports are to be believed The T Wolves never even considered moving Bennett during this month since the trade was first hammered down.

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2014, 06:43:14 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

I am kinda going with the hypothetical here. Assuming we chose the rebuilding road over the re-tooling one and we were trading Green, acquiring a number one pick (even with his lack of production) over a couple of role players and a future first would be my choice. I understand what Philly did by bringing in a guy to help Embiid's transition into the NBA, but Bennett is easily the best asset.

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2014, 07:44:38 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
Luc Ricard MBah a Moute is not an overly old or untalented player. He is a legitimate defender and at times has been a serviceable 3 point threat. Where he could far exceed his contract's value is as a mentor for Joel Embiid.

As many are aware Joel Embiid is a late bloomer from Cameroon, what some may not realized is that Luc Ricard Mbah a Moute is from Embiid's same hometown city of Yaoundé,and it was at Moute's camp that Embiid was first discovered. 

The man who is responsible for inspiring and guiding your top 3 pick from Volleyball in high school to the top league in the world, is now a vital part of your rebuilding effort, on a reasonable contract mind you. Pairing the Shved and a pick assets plus Moute's leadership with the fact that he at least doesn't fall off a cliff from in terms of production from what Thaddeus Young gave you, and the more it works out that this is actually is most likely more value for Philly long term than Bennett could have been have been.

It's similar to how KG exceeded his contract value by also functioning as a vital big man coach for the rookies. What are some other situations where players far exceeded their contract's value for reasons other than strait on court production?
Jack Haley.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2014, 09:15:25 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804

I said he got better but that's my opinion (I'm a woman but guys have said it too lol), I actually watched him and not just the stats. If you feel different, okay. He will be fine in a few years but he was definitely overrated. I don't even like him but to me he looked more comfortable at the end of the season.

It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2014, 10:01:37 PM »

Offline gar

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 247
  • Strength from Within
Assuming he is healthy and his knee troubles are behind him. Both big assumptions. Philly needs to get real and start building some assets you can't do it all from the draft.

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2014, 11:22:38 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Bennett started showing a lot of improvement as the season progressed.  He looked really good in Summer League.  He was drafted as a raw prospect with potential and he remains a raw prospect with potential.  I wouldn't write him off right now.

For all the improvement, he shot poorly at .356% for the year last year.  He shot .426 in summer league which is an improvement but to be honest, he had no where to go but up.

He will be fine in a few years but he was definitely overrated. I don't even like him but to me he looked more comfortable at the end of the season.

Agree.   But does he have number one talent, I think not.   But he may prove me wrong.

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2014, 11:30:35 PM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392

For all the improvement, he shot poorly at .356% for the year last year.  He shot .426 in summer league which is an improvement but to be honest, he had no where to go but up.

He will be fine in a few years but he was definitely overrated. I don't even like him but to me he looked more comfortable at the end of the season.

Agree.   But does he have number one talent, I think not.   But he may prove me wrong.

i think its hasty to write Bennett off so quickly.

And the point being brought up is trading Green for Bennett. Not sure if I'd do it but I think I'd heavily consider that idea.

- LilRip

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2014, 11:33:45 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
plus Moute's leadership with the fact that he at least doesn't fall off a cliff from in terms of production from what Thaddeus Young gave you

A mentor for Embiid is a good idea but Moute isn't half the player Young is.  What influence is Moute going to be when Philly goes through another year of wins in the low 20s at best?

People try and defend Philly by pointing to other tankers.  Those cases, however, were teams that tanked at the end or at some point earlier in the season.  Philly started tanking at the draft, tanked again during the season and have all but admitted they intend to tank next season.  Has any team in any sport ever done that?

Mike