Author Topic: Idea: Trade with Knicks  (Read 5331 times)

Idea: Trade with Knicks
« on: August 23, 2014, 03:40:04 PM »

Offline Celts Fan 508

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54
So I am content with playing it out this year and going after some superstars next offseason while seeing who takes that next step on the Celtics.  The Celtics will have some cap space next offseason so I was looking to add to that so they could resign Rondo and sign a max player such as Gasol, Aldridge etc. so that in 2016 they would have the pieces to be able to entice Durant with a max.

So my trade idea is this:

Boston trades Green, Wallace, and the Philly pick (2 seconds really) for Amare Stoudemire

For Boston you get rid of Green which is a negative to me, but you do get rid of Wallace's awful contract.  Boston does receive a bad contract in return but it is off the books in 2015 (a year earlier then Wallace's) and if Amare can contribute anything then even better. 

Anyone have any thoughts on this? 

2019 historical draft.  Pick 12

Tim Duncan, Oscar Robertson, Elgin Baylor, Scottie Pippen, Willis Reed, Mitch Richmond, Sam Jones, Dan Majerle, Bob Cousy, Rasheed Wallace, Shawn Kemp, Marcus Camby

Re: Idea: Trade with Knicks
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2014, 04:41:05 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I think that Carmelo re-signed with NYK with the knowledge that this year would probably suck, but they would have a ton of money to spend next year. I don't see any way that the Knicks take on any dead salary just to clear out a huge expiring contract.

Also, there is no real reason to bring on two more small forwards when their superstar plays the same position.

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2014, 04:52:30 PM »

Offline the_gunner

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 3
I mentioned the deal long time ago, but sadly I have to say, that it's not going to happen, not even if we threw in Bass. What if we give them another pick, then it might but I'm not even sure that The Knicks would be willing to do the trade(Bass, Wallace and Green+Philly pick+ another pick=Amare) because the Amare contract will be a huge asset at the end of the season, even though they hate it the rest of the season.

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2014, 07:03:07 PM »

Offline Celts Fan 508

• Bill Walton
I think that Carmelo re-signed with NYK with the knowledge that this year would probably suck, but they would have a ton of money to spend next year. I don't see any way that the Knicks take on any dead salary just to clear out a huge expiring contract.

Also, there is no real reason to bring on two more small forwards when their superstar plays the same position.

You might be right (Calderon could be there to entice Gasol next season), but what if we included the Clippers pick as well, maybe that could sweeten the pot a little.  Green, Melo, and Wallace can play multiple positions, I see no problem with Melo at the 4 and Green at the 3 to start the games off.  This would give the Knicks a shooter for their triangle offense.

Edited to say:  @ the_Gunner great minds must think alike.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2014, 07:13:06 PM by Celts Fan 508 »

Tim Duncan, Oscar Robertson, Elgin Baylor, Scottie Pippen, Willis Reed, Mitch Richmond, Sam Jones, Dan Majerle, Bob Cousy, Rasheed Wallace, Shawn Kemp, Marcus Camby

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2014, 07:39:17 PM »

Offline Gahdening

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 0
I've been toying with trades that involve PHI in the deals.

PHI:Wallace, Prigioni, Shumpert, NYK 1st in '19, rights back to PHI for '15 pick we hold

NYK: Bass, Anthony, Bogans, 5 nonguarranteed deals from PHI

BOS: Stoudemire

BOS dumps Wallace, drops below tax line, waives Babb and Johnson to sign Turner (13 man roster).
NYK gets useful player in Bass, drops 6 nonguaranteed deals to get close to tax line, maintains same cap flexibility for '15.
PHI gets chips for cap space, really one future first and two seconds. Or we send 15 LAC pick or 16 CLE pick.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2014, 07:46:37 PM by Gahdening »

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2014, 08:39:29 PM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145
this only makes sense if we have our eye on a big FA next year and need to clear Wallace to make it happen. But I imagine the Knicks are more likely to be players in FA than we are, and we can always stretch Wallace.

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2014, 08:46:09 PM »

Offline freshinthehouse

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
I love the idea of packaging some of our roster flotsam with Wallace and a pick for Amare.  They key would be to find a combo that Phil Jackson would find appealing.

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2014, 10:05:15 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Green should have more trade value then just a Wallace dump.

More to the point, who is the target?  There is no need to dump Wallace until there is a legitimate target. 

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2014, 12:56:58 PM »

Offline Celts Fan 508

• Bill Walton

More to the point, who is the target?  There is no need to dump Wallace until there is a legitimate target.

The target would be Gasol or Aldridge, which then paired with Rondo (and hopefully some of the younger players develop) could entice KD the following summer with another max contract.

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2014, 01:33:11 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

The target would be Gasol or Aldridge, which then paired with Rondo (and hopefully some of the younger players develop) could entice KD the following summer with another max contract.

I can definitely get on board with Gasol and Aldridge, but if we acquired either of those two, I would want to keep Green around.

Besides, if we wait until next summer, we can just use one of our late firsts to offload Wallace's expiring contract to a team with cap space or a TPE.

It will certainly be interesting to see how Danny handles our future - he can go in a myriad of directions. There were no fireworks this year which only lead me to believe that the 'cannon' will be more than ready to burst next year.

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2014, 02:08:08 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
I mentioned this in another thread, but I could see the Knicks making a HUGE play for Rondo at the trade deadline.

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2014, 02:13:56 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

They want to come to Boston?  Or do we want the Celtics to go the path NY, Dallas took with just the hope a free agent will come here? 

There is no point in giving up a resource right to just dump Wallace.

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2014, 02:24:31 PM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176
Besides, if we wait until next summer, we can just use one of our late firsts to offload Wallace's expiring contract to a team with cap space or a TPE.

Not going to happen.  Wallace is barely a rotation player on one of the worst teams in the league, and in twelve months' time he ain't going to be any better.  If he were a free agent today, he'd be scrambling for a fraction of the MLE.  Put another 82 games on those knees, and he's a vet-min guy at best. 

Who's going to trade for that guy, pay him $10M, just to receive a late 1st rounder?  That's functionally the same as paying 3x what the C's paid for Rondo's draft pick.

« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2014, 02:29:06 PM »

Offline Celts Fan 508

• Bill Walton

They want to come to Boston?  Or do we want the Celtics to go the path NY, Dallas took with just the hope a free agent will come here? 

There is no point in giving up a resource right to just dump Wallace.

So you are saying that Wallace might have value in one year as an expiring deal as teams chase Durant?  I could accept that and free agency is a gamble, but I would like to think that Gasol or Aldridge would like to escape the West and come to Boston to play for Stevens and alongside Rondo and some up and coming players with a smart GM.  Obviously I am biased though, but I think Boston has a lot to offer players.

« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2014, 02:40:33 PM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176
All-Star players looking to sign in Boston because of Brad Stevens, the completely unproven college coach who p---ed off half the veterans on the team last year?  Really?