Author Topic: Do the Celtics have a bright future?  (Read 9541 times)

Do the Celtics have a bright future?
« on: August 23, 2014, 02:43:14 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
With the Sixers having a nucleus of young promising talent and Wolves having the same thing. There are a couple of people who felt that Danny should've tanked harder for the top pick last season and he may do so this year. I'm wondering as of right now do you think the Celtics future is bright?

Re: Do the Celtics have a bright future?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2014, 02:55:19 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I will take Ainge over the TWolves any day. And probably the Sixers too although they are off to an interesting start

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2014, 03:01:42 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
It is good for Danny's own case that he sees the job as a t(h)ankless job, all pun intended.

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2014, 03:33:53 PM »

Offline cb8883

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 52
With the Sixers having a nucleus of young promising talent and Wolves having the same thing. There are a couple of people who felt that Danny should've tanked harder for the top pick last season and he may do so this year. I'm wondering as of right now do you think the Celtics future is bright?

Absolutely not. Ainge screwed up the pick with Marcus Banks 2.0 and will pay Role Player Rondo the Max. Ainge did well to get a ton of picks but he did nothing with that the past few years Sullinger and KO could become rotation guys. But hopefully he does the right thing and tanks hard. Need to follow the Sixers/OKC model.

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2014, 03:44:20 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

The Celts future is pretty murky right now, just like the sixers and the wolves.

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2014, 04:16:52 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

Absolutely not. Ainge screwed up the pick with Marcus Banks 2.0 and will pay Role Player Rondo the Max. Ainge did well to get a ton of picks but he did nothing with that the past few years Sullinger and KO could become rotation guys. But hopefully he does the right thing and tanks hard. Need to follow the Sixers/OKC model.

Excuse me while I jump off a cliff  :'(

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2014, 04:31:39 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
And btw, as of right now, I love our future. We have young players to develop and an all-star pg who we should absolutely give the max contract to. If we aren't going anywhere in a couple of years, we can still trade him. He is our biggest asset and I would hate to let him go for nothing.

If, after this year, Sully and KO are at a standstill, Smart can't get out of his own way, AB and Green are utterly inefficient, and our other young guys loo like [at best] 12th men, then of course I will be disappointed. But there is a lot of promise with our team and I truly believe we will play better than most people believe - even if that angers many who want us to tank again. I also think there are a number of different directions we can go, which is something Philly and Minny can't say.

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2014, 04:45:41 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
No one thought Cavs had a bright future till their 3rd number one overall in four years. It takes a lot of luck to succeed in the NBA. And despite the C's not having any lottery luck the club still feels positive.  Lots of fans are a anxious to know the teams direction. They want full youth or playoffs. This team depending on what is available can at least move in either direction.  That in itself is plus for a good future.

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2014, 04:50:17 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
i dont think its bright, nor grim.  the good thing is we have picks and potential assets....whether they materialize and provide us with a glimmer of hope remains to be seen.

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2014, 04:56:42 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I do not think this year will be bright as it is a developing year.   I would still like to see Bass moved as he takes minutes from the young guys and his ability to improve and help us in the future is finite.

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2014, 05:05:21 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
As long as we trade Rondo before the trade deadline, we should be fine.

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2014, 05:07:26 PM »

Offline Nerf DPOY

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377

The Celts future is pretty murky right now, just like the sixers and the wolves.

As you, C'sFan1984, and Dark Lord have all pointed out, no one has any clue what is going to happen over the next several years. Anyone who is certain about how anything will play out is either really naive or arrogant, or a radio talking head, or all three. This doesn't make a great case for the value of message board discussion, but I think we all realize this is just a fun hobby.

And now I'm going to go back to reading a 45 page argument on the merits of Pavel Podkolzin from 2003.

Edit: And the uncertainty of it all is what actually what makes it fascinating to me and worth talking about. Without the uncertainty, it would just be like math.

« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2014, 05:11:24 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Currently the prospects on our team are not significant.  THere's probably a dozen teams with comparable prospects. 

But what makes us intriguing is our huge stock of draft picks... until you realize that most of them will probably end up late 1sts.  But presumably we're going to stink... so our own picks will probably end up in the lotto for the foreseeable future.

Right now Boston's is all about quantity of assets... not quality.  We got a lot of middling prospects and potentially middling picks.  Something cray-cray could happen in Brooklyn which could end up putting us in a really nice position, but we gotta we a few years for that and it's just as likely that Brooklyn continues to be a playoff team.

Compare our hypothetical future to the hypothetical future of a team like Philly or Wolves and it's a no contest.  Philly already has a couple players on their team that could be franchise cornerstones.  The Wolves have a guy who you can potentially build a team around.  Boston is still reaching for a star prospect.  Smart could end up being a starter eventually, though.

« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2014, 05:21:39 PM »

Offline freshinthehouse

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
As long as DA is in charge and Wyc and Co. own the team I have no worries about this team's future.

« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2014, 05:21:59 PM »

Offline Nerf DPOY

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377

Compare our hypothetical future to the hypothetical future of a team like Philly or Wolves and it's a no contest.  Philly already has a couple players on their team that could be franchise cornerstones.  The Wolves have a guy who you can potentially build a team around.  Boston is still reaching for a star prospect.  Smart could end up being a starter eventually, though.

But what is Philly's hypothetical future really worth? I'd concede the Cav's hypothetical future is pretty solid. They have 2, maybe 3 top 10 NBA players on the roster. Philly? I think it's underestimated the possibility that even if Embiid's legs hold up that he'll never develop the offensive game to really be a game changer. I get that he could, I'm just not saying he will, and that's with throwing the health concerns out. Same goes for Noel.

Embiid is a game changer on twitter though. If he retired today he'd still be HOF twitterer.