Author Topic: Sox to sign Rusney Castillo  (Read 12715 times)

Sox to sign Rusney Castillo
« on: August 22, 2014, 01:37:14 PM »

Offline Nerf DPOY

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377
http://espn.go.com/boston/mlb/story/_/id/11392841/boston-red-sox-add-cuban-rusney-castillo

6 years, 72.5 mil

Spending decent money on a speedy CF with what they already have in house? This is a head scratcher for me, but I guess they must really value this guy. Furthermore, it looks like he's going to start playing like, next week.

The redundancy of OF and back end rotation/back of bullpen depth is staggering. It's inevitable that there is going to be A LOT of players moving from here to March...

Re: Sox to sign Rusney Castillo
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2014, 01:44:27 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
http://espn.go.com/boston/mlb/story/_/id/11392841/boston-red-sox-add-cuban-rusney-castillo

6 years, 72.5 mil

Spending decent money on a speedy CF with what they already have in house? This is a head scratcher for me, but I guess they must really value this guy. Furthermore, it looks like he's going to start playing like, next week.

The redundancy of OF and back end rotation/back of bullpen depth is staggering. It's inevitable that there is going to be A LOT of players moving from here to March...

rusney "little beast" castillo. Nice catch by the sox
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDyUnNg9qdI

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2014, 01:47:29 PM »

Offline Hawkeye199

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 131
zach lavine-jeremy lin-tyus jones
jeremy lamb-tyshen prince-Andre miller
will barton- beljina-
Kevin love-kevin garnet-payne
Karl anthoney Towns-JJ hickson

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2014, 01:53:25 PM »

Offline Nerf DPOY

• Jim Loscutoff
it's seven years not six

That's a little misleading as I understand it. They're including '14 as one of the years. The contract will run through the 2020 season.

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2014, 01:54:53 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
it's seven years not six

I think the confusion is because the first year applies to this season.  While the contract is 7 years, it's really more like 6 since this season is almost over and he might not be ready to play right away.

Considering how well other recent Cuban players have performed, I like the signing.

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2014, 02:07:06 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
it's seven years not six
right, but that includes this year, or what's left of it, on a prorated salary. so functionally it is 6 years. i don't expect castillo to do much this year since he has been out of baseball for a while.

good signing at not an outrageous price. i hope his skill translate well into the game here.but even so, it is the exactly the sort of risk a rich team like the sox can take.

as mentioned above, the sox HAVE to do something since they have for 2015 a boatload of possible outfielders.

castillo
cespedes
JBJ
victorino
betts
nava
craig

craig could play some 1B, he has in the past. but there still are only really 4 spots for outfielders on the roster and they have 7 candidates. something is going to happen, even if craig is DH and 1B AND JBJ goes to AAA things will be tight. oh yeah, and holt is a factor as well.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2014, 02:15:23 PM »

Offline Nerf DPOY

• Jim Loscutoff
it's seven years not six
right, but that includes this year, or what's left of it, on a prorated salary. so functionally it is 6 years. i don't expect castillo to do much this year since he has been out of baseball for a while.

good signing at not an outrageous price. i hope his skill translate well into the game here.but even so, it is the exactly the sort of risk a rich team like the sox can take.

as mentioned above, the sox HAVE to do something since they have for 2015 a boatload of possible outfielders.

castillo
cespedes
JBJ
victorino
betts
nava
craig

craig could play some 1B, he has in the past. but there still are only really 4 spots for outfielders on the roster and they have 7 candidates. something is going to happen, even if craig is DH and 1B AND JBJ goes to AAA things will be tight. oh yeah, and holt is a factor as well.

I'll throw in it stands to reason to me that if Betts is in fact a sure handed 2B who has been trusted to play in RF by the org this year, I'd think he has the prerequisite arm and skills to be quickly converted to 3B.

But yeah, I'm expecting fireworks this winter.

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2014, 02:38:43 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • bammokja
it's seven years not six

castillo
cespedes
JBJ
victorino
betts
nava
craig

I'll throw in it stands to reason to me that if Betts is in fact a sure handed 2B who has been trusted to play in RF by the org this year, I'd think he has the prerequisite arm and skills to be quickly converted to 3B.

good point, especially given WMB's woes. the only question, and it is a question, on betts at 3B is he arm. coming up in the minors reports said he had a strong arm, but not accurate enough to play 3B. but those reports, my memory, or both may be faulty or out of date.

the sox have decisions to make for everyday players. and as for the pitching depth in the minors, geez, talk about an embarrassment of riches. i can't see how a trade doesn't take place sometime.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2014, 02:54:40 PM »

Offline Nerf DPOY

• Jim Loscutoff
it's seven years not six

castillo
cespedes
JBJ
victorino
betts
nava
craig

good point, especially given WMB's woes. the only question, and it is a question, on betts at 3B is he arm. coming up in the minors reports said he had a strong arm, but not accurate enough to play 3B. but those reports, my memory, or both may be faulty or out of date.

the sox have decisions to make for everyday players. and as for the pitching depth in the minors, geez, talk about an embarrassment of riches. i can't see how a trade doesn't take place sometime.

I really can't speak with any knowledge about Betts' capabilities at 3B, it just my guess he goes there or in a trade at some point. On that, though a little OT, I was listening to Felger just now characterize Betts' value in a trade -- to paraphrase, it was something like " Why would Miami want him?? He strikes me as wildly overrated....a throw in in a trade..." <Click>, ; that was the end my listening for the day....
« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 03:18:46 PM by Nerf DPOY »

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2014, 03:36:03 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • bammokja
it's seven years not six

castillo
cespedes
JBJ
victorino
betts
nava
craig

I really can't speak with any knowledge about Betts' capabilities at 3B, it just my guess he goes there or in a trade at some point. On that, though a little OT, I was listening to Felger just now characterize Betts' value in a trade -- to paraphrase, it was something like " Why would Miami want him?? He strikes me as wildly overrated....a throw in in a trade..." <Click>, ; that was the end my listening for the day....

yeah, a wise move to turn off that noise. for what it is worth, a scout from another MLB team who knows the sox system projected betts as being the best player on the red sox team in 2-3 years.

even if betts looks to remotely approach that level in the eyes of the front office, and for next to nothing in salary, he isn't going anywhere unless another young star comes back.

betts is good, very very good. there is a reason sox prospects has him as their #1 prospect and the sox brought him up to the show at age 21.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2014, 04:01:40 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2477
the last big-name international player the sox signed was dice-k. in the meantime we've seen kuroda, uehara, darvish, cespedes, iwakuma, chapman, puig, tanaka, etc come in from japan and cuba, all of them studs, and the sox didn't get any of them.
seems like the sox got cold feet after theo overrated dice-k. a lot of the fans also seemed to be convinced after dice-k that japanese players can't be good here, though a quick google search for scouting videos could show anyone that darvish, tanaka, etc have way better stuff than dice-k ever did. the sox not getting any of those guys really put us at a disadvantage IMO, not only are those guys elite, but every player mentioned above was a bargain at the prices for which they were signed. and after each success, the market gets higher for these guys.
i really, really hope castillo works out, and the sox are not just jumping on the bandwagon at the wrong time because they recognized that they screwed up by not going harder after these other international pros. the guy's height worries me a little bit at 5'9". don't want to see the sox get scared off again if castillo busts, though.

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2014, 04:21:47 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
it's seven years not six

castillo
cespedes
JBJ
victorino
betts
nava
craig

They are going to have to trade some of those guys away, plus they have other minor league talent knocking on the door, and they have a lot of money to spend.  This is going to be a fun offseason.

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2014, 05:43:47 PM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
bardley will be a throw in, in the blockbuster package for stanton. 

outfield next year, stanton in right, castillo in center, cespedes in left.
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2014, 05:48:20 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas

Trade for Stanton and re-sign Lester and I'll be thrilled.

« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2014, 09:56:18 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • bammokja

Trade for Stanton and re-sign Lester and I'll be thrilled.
so would ben in all likelihood.  :)
- Vandana Shiva