Author Topic: Woj reports the 76ers/Minny/Cav trade done, but with a twist.  (Read 19256 times)

Re: Woj reports the 76ers/Minny/Cav trade done, but with a twist.
« Reply #30 on: August 22, 2014, 12:09:16 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1604
  • What a Pub Should Be
Love this for Minny.  I was afraid they were going to give away Bennett in this deal, but this makes much more sense.  I think Bennett still has a ton of potential, and now that he is healthy and the pressure is off him (does anyone even remember he was the #1 pick?), he can be the really good (but not great) player he was supposed to be.  And this haul is a lot more reasonable for Young, who just is not that great a player.  The Heat pick will be a mid first rounder, and the other guys are just kind of blah.

I just love the potential for this Minnesota team to be FUN this year.  They may not win a lot of games, but if they can run out a lineup with Rubio, Wiggins, Young, and Pekovic, they could be a ton of fun to watch, with Levine being a wild card. 

At least on paper, this looks to be one of the best hauls ever for a superstar shooting his way out of town.

I'd certainly agree.  If either of this kids live up to their potential, its one helluva haul.  If both do, then wow.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #31 on: August 22, 2014, 12:13:56 PM »

Offline Gainesville Celtic

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1331
  • Ainge *still* has a Posse! Ubuntu Y'all
Happy Minnesota got Thad Young. That will make them much more watchable next season. A couple of good players there with Rubio, Kev Martin, Wiggins, Thad Young and Pekovic. Should be a decent team.

In Wiggins, Bennett and Young, MIN did about as well as you can when you're dealing a star like Love.

3 months ago there were so many folks posting some variation on:

"Flip is a moron. He's never gonna get a better deal for Love than Sullinger + Bogans + 2 #1 picks. If he waits till after the draft he should just fire himself..."

Saunders' all like....

GC's Yahoo! H2h League: Gainesville Celtics: 2014, 2016, 2017 Champs!

GC's Yahoo! H2h League permanent website (offseason roster, constitution, etc.) * Lucky was framed!

« Reply #32 on: August 22, 2014, 12:28:18 PM »

Offline rondoallaturca

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 350
  • DKC Memphis Grizzlies
That was a very timely post above by GC, as I was about to come in and post how foolish it was for me to mock Saunders' ability earlier this offseason. While I still think he was awful at both managing and coaching the past decade, he's started his new tenure off strong. While I'm not as high on Wiggins as most others, getting him, Bennett, and Thad for a disgruntled star that was guaranteed to leave already is an amazing coup. Wiggins and Dieng are two phenomenal defensive talents to jumpstart the future, and there's enough veteran talents in Martin, Young, and Pekovic to keep the team competitive and watchable right now.

Re: Woj dropping late night bombs (76ers/Minny trade done)
« Reply #33 on: August 22, 2014, 12:36:12 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
The Sixers are so good at tanking.

I misread this at first thought it said, The Sixers are gods at tanking. Lol

« Reply #34 on: August 22, 2014, 12:48:26 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 858
So the bottom line for Cle is Wiggins, Bennett and a middling 1st round pick for Love.

Minni gives up Love but also Luc Moute and Shved both of whom have trade value (they are not just throw in like say Bogans would be) and get a haul of Wiggins, Bennett and Young.  Very solid and all tangible assets they can put on the court this season vs. draft picks

I think Phili made out pretty well too.  They get a decent pick and will probably flip Moute (after some mentoring I guess) because he might actually help them win some games and Shved may turn into something of value over the next year.

« Reply #35 on: August 22, 2014, 12:49:03 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
Happy Minnesota got Thad Young. That will make them much more watchable next season. A couple of good players there with Rubio, Kev Martin, Wiggins, Thad Young and Pekovic. Should be a decent team.

In Wiggins, Bennett and Young, MIN did about as well as you can when you're dealing a star like Love.

3 months ago there were so many folks posting some variation on:

"Flip is a moron. He's never gonna get a better deal for Love than Sullinger + Bogans + 2 #1 picks. If he waits till after the draft he should just fire himself..."

Saunders' all like....

1.  The Twolves are going to be bad next season.  Bennett hasn't proven he can even play in the league.  Wiggins is at least 2 to 3 years away from being a star, if he is one.  Young should be better defensively but isn't even close to Love as a scorer or rebounder.

2.  Luck matters.  If both Seattle and Minny weren't looking to deal their best players for potential, who knows if Ainge would still be in Boston.

Mike

« Reply #36 on: August 22, 2014, 12:52:57 PM »

Offline TBreezy

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 23
I don't understand what philly is doing.  Tanking I get it, but at some point eoy 3/4 you are going to need to lock the talent up.  They have too much "high end talent" who will be learning  on the job in Philly, and wanting paydays at the same time.  Maybe you hope  2-3 become superstars and pay them, and fill in the holes around them - but it is likely none of them will have fully arrived at that point.  They are really betting on their ability to judge talent...

« Reply #37 on: August 22, 2014, 12:57:32 PM »

Offline aporel#18

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 170
Great for Minny (could end getting the best player in the trade)

Very good for Cleveland (win now)

Tanktastic for the Sixers... just like Morey outsmarted himself with his backloaded contracts to Lin and Asik, it seems like Hinkie is outtanking himself. Hope the results are alike, although I wish a good career for Embiid and Saric, those guys could be a lot of fun in their primes.

As for the Celtics, they may not be players in this trade, but that doesn't mean there's no chance for one or more deals with Danny Ainge involved in.

Go Celtics!

« Reply #38 on: August 22, 2014, 12:58:53 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • What a Pub Should Be
So could someone break out what Cleveland's frontcourt depth is now?  (According to this report)

« Reply #39 on: August 22, 2014, 01:08:44 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
So could someone break out what Cleveland's frontcourt depth is now?  (According to this report)

I think it's some combination of Love, Tristan Thompson, Varejao, and Brendan Haywood's contract.

EDIT: Apparently, the Cavs also have Alex Kirk, Erik Murphy, and Dwight Powell, whoever they are.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #40 on: August 22, 2014, 01:22:49 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • What a Pub Should Be

I think it's some combination of Love, Tristan Thompson, Varejao, and Brendan Haywood's contract.

EDIT: Apparently, the Cavs also have Alex Kirk, Erik Murphy, and Dwight Powell, whoever they are.

They better pray Sideshow Bob stays healthy. 

Re: Woj dropping late night bombs (76ers/Minny/Cav trade done with a twist)
« Reply #41 on: August 22, 2014, 01:52:40 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
love how you pay these players millions to play a game and you still have to buy them guardians?
lets remember that millions of dollars do not change basic human physiological development.

the frontal lobes in males do not fully develop, and are not fully connected, until around the age of 25. teenagers and males in their early twenties are NOT carrying around brains that simply "an adult brain with fewer miles on it." rather, they are carrying around and operating and making decisions with an as yet incomplete brain.

of particular note is that the frontal lobes are the source of what we commonly call "mature decision making."

get the connection now? until around 25 years of age, most males simply have incompletely developed brains. as i look back to MY behavior during these years, it explains a lot of my truly stupid decisions.

now....back to the nba and back to embiid.

what the 76ers are doing is smart. they are matching an immature player who is in a foreign land with, they hope, a mentor who shares his home culture, language etc. and....the veteran (Luc Richard Mbah A Moute ) will be 28 in september, so his brain should be nice and complete.

what is happening here is that the 76ers are using millions of dollars to buy a surrogate frontal lobe for embiid.  ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #42 on: August 22, 2014, 01:53:52 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Gotta think Pek and K.Martin are on the block. Wonder where they land? Too bad Miami has no assets, they could use K.Mart.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #43 on: August 22, 2014, 02:32:22 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
I thought thats a solid hal for Minny. Two kids with high upside and a starter level player for a Star whose leaving anyway and a couple of reserves.

And Philly, wow. They have the Apocalypse while we only have a Grizzly Tank. (High five to whoever gets the reference).
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #44 on: August 22, 2014, 03:40:12 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2477
i'd much rather have olynyk or sullinger than bennett. they've played much better so far, and their ultimate upside is just as good IMO. i also think there's a very good chance smart becomes a better player than wiggins. smart just seems like much more of a competitor, and while wiggins is an uber-athlete, there's lots of those in this league already.
in a couple years i think people will look back and see that the c's offer of smart/young/oly or sully/+ first rounder was better than originally thought.