Author Topic: Woj reports the 76ers/Minny/Cav trade done, but with a twist.  (Read 19265 times)

Re: Woj dropping late night bombs (76ers/Minny trade done)
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2014, 06:53:01 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
The Sixers are so good at tanking.

...and trading the guys they tanked for before their original contracts expire

It's a perpetual tank thang
Have they really traded anyone that yield them a title though.  The reality is the Sixers went this route when Bynum's knees gave out.  Once Bynum was done they went into full on rebuilding and they have done that pretty well.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Re: Woj reports the 76ers/Minny/Cav trade done, but with a twist.
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2014, 08:14:13 AM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
Quite a haul for Minny. Have to give it to Flip for holding out, still makes me sick though. I think this is why DA help the Lebron, he saw this coming, and had to jump on getting something.

I don't know why people are in aw with how the 76ers are going about the rebuild. They've drafted 2 centers and a PF going into a draft heavy of Centers and PF's. If the plan was to tank this year, they should have gone with Exum. Especially when you already have a young center riddled with injuries, they should have backed away from Ebiid (even though it would have been tough) snagged Exum and then tanked for Okafor or Towns if Noel can't stay healthy.

Re: Woj dropping late night bombs (76ers/Minny/Cav trade done with a twist)
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2014, 08:38:06 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
It's never a bad idea to protect your assets.  Embiid has already said some stupid stuff on twitter.
Embiid has said some hilarious stuff on twitter. Everything stupid he has said is a joke.

Great trade for Minnesota and Cleveland. The Sixers have now dealt every veteran player, which means this should be rock bottom. If they don't start moving in an upward direction next year I think their whole game plan is foolish
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2014, 08:45:07 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
I'm glad Wiggins and Bennett are sticking together.  Those Canadian kids both have bright futures.
They must view Bennett as a second year veteran mentor for Wiggins ;)  If Wiggins does everything exactly like Bennett did last year, it will be awesome for his career ;)

« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2014, 08:56:21 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
It's never a bad idea to protect your assets.  Embiid has already said some stupid stuff on twitter.
Embiid has said some hilarious stuff on twitter. Everything stupid he has said is a joke.

Great trade for Minnesota and Cleveland. The Sixers have now dealt every veteran player, which means this should be rock bottom. If they don't start moving in an upward direction next year I think their whole game plan is foolish

If I were a Sixers fan and I ever met the GM of the team, I'd want to strangle him!

The idea of intentionally making your team bad thinking somehow it will lead to positive results in 5 years is absolutely asinine.

I guess I respect the fact that at least you know where the Sixers stand. But if I were a fan of the team who loves basketball, I would be FURIOUS.

Not to mention it's already backfired on them.

They already tanked last year in hopes they would get Wiggins, but once the league single handedly delivered the Cavs the no 1 pick on a lunch tray, the Sixers ended up drafting Joel "second coming of Greg Oden" Embiid.

« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2014, 08:58:56 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441

...and trading the guys they tanked for before their original contracts expire

It's a perpetual tank thang
Have they really traded anyone that yield them a title though.  The reality is the Sixers went this route when Bynum's knees gave out.  Once Bynum was done they went into full on rebuilding and they have done that pretty well.
Whether they have done that well or not is to be determined.  They have lots of potentially good players but no sure things.  And unless Noel looks like a star this year, we still won't be able to accurately judge the Sixers rebuild until the following year.

« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2014, 09:45:09 AM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
I don't know why people are in aw with how the 76ers are going about the rebuild.

Agreed. Posters love to say they're "so far" ahead of us in rebuilding, but their win total over the last 10 years:

They've cracked .500 once. Maybe they're young talent pans out, maybe. But a lot is riding on Embiid's health.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2014, 09:52:45 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
One would assume that judging their rebuild wouldn't factor in the last ten years of the franchise's history, since, you know, they're rebuilding.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2014, 10:04:46 AM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
One would assume that judging their rebuild wouldn't factor in the last ten years of the franchise's history, since, you know, they're rebuilding.

My point is that they've been consistently mediocre for a very long time. It's easy for fans to say they're so far ahead in the rebuild when they're last winning season was in 2004.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 11:04:16 AM by RJ87 »
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2014, 10:06:39 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

They're good at the first part of rebuilding, at least.  At the second, much more important part?  Remains to be seen.

« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2014, 10:09:08 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Pek/dieng
Young
Bennett
Wiggins
Rubio/Lavine

Good looking young team. I would prob get rid of rubio tho. One of the most inefficient anf overrated players in the league

« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2014, 10:32:54 AM »

Offline celticpride1

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 40
So now that the trade will happen Saturday with no Celtics involved everybody can stop talking about us giving Philly our trash or anything. We aren't getting into this trade. We already help Cleveland get Lebron and Love.

« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2014, 10:58:41 AM »

Offline get_banners

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 100
The Sixers are single-handedly going to get the draft lottery altered (to something even worse for bad teams). Way to go, Philly. Plenty of teams tank, but I'm not sure I've seen it done so shamelessly. I hope they pay their young guys money and that none of them develop into anything.

« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2014, 11:22:14 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Happy Minnesota got Thad Young. That will make them much more watchable next season. A couple of good players there with Rubio, Kev Martin, Wiggins, Thad Young and Pekovic. Should be a decent team.

« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2014, 12:07:09 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Love this for Minny.  I was afraid they were going to give away Bennett in this deal, but this makes much more sense.  I think Bennett still has a ton of potential, and now that he is healthy and the pressure is off him (does anyone even remember he was the #1 pick?), he can be the really good (but not great) player he was supposed to be.  And this haul is a lot more reasonable for Young, who just is not that great a player.  The Heat pick will be a mid first rounder, and the other guys are just kind of blah.

I just love the potential for this Minnesota team to be FUN this year.  They may not win a lot of games, but if they can run out a lineup with Rubio, Wiggins, Young, and Pekovic, they could be a ton of fun to watch, with Levine being a wild card. 

At least on paper, this looks to be one of the best hauls ever for a superstar shooting his way out of town.