Author Topic: Would you do this OKC trade for Westbrook?  (Read 4120 times)

Would you do this OKC trade for Westbrook?
« on: August 21, 2014, 11:39:29 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Rajon Rondo+ Marcus Smart+ Chris Johnson, '18 Nets pick, and any Celtics pick for Westbrook+fillers, and OKC '16 first round pick, 2nd rounder.

Why OKC does it:

Gives them Rajon Rondo who can still orchestrate a great transition offense. Yes Rajon Rondo pumps the balls a lot, but he was heavily known as the one man fast break during the playoffs. Getting someone with playoff experience, and who specializes in giving teammates the extra boost in points, and touches. I believe Durant would be conserve more energy shooting from easy passes rather than exert too much energy in creating his own. Rondo is also a great team help defender, individually, Rondo isn't one of the best, but he can help pick off steals, and inaccurate passes.

Marcus Smart while unknown provides them with a strong pit bull on defense, and is a great transitional guard too. OKC is known for running on the fast break, focusing on defense, and ball movement spreading for shooters.

A lineup of Rondo, Smart, Durant, Ibaka, Perkins is a pretty tough defensive duo that can drive inside, protect the paint, and Durant and possibly Smart (?) can get to the free throw line at least 5-6 times a game.

I know people say Westbrook helps create double teams, etc. I firmly believe Rondo can still do almost the same things Westbrook can, but his passing is what can get Ibaka, who is great at mid range shots, and only improving, and Durant the necessary passes needed.

Why Celtics does it:

Gives us a young point guard/scoring guard that can be our superstar. Westbrook despite his warts is still a top 5-10 player. Bringing him in could possibly give us a go to guy, and someone who can get to the free throw, create shots for others, and use his own athleticism to get buckets.

Once Westbrook comes here, its his team, and that is undisputed. With Bradley here, it also allows him to defend like Rondo, while using his ability to pick off passes with his speed to create havoc on the fast break.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

Re: Would you do this OKC trade for Westbrook?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2014, 12:00:32 AM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
No thank you.

That sounds just hideous.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2014, 12:12:38 AM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145
Star-for-star swaps don't happen very often because front offices don't like that kind of risk... You trade your superstar PG and it doesn't pan out, time to find a new job.

I'd do it, as long as it's someone else's job on the line.

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2014, 12:21:52 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
No thank you.

Don't know how this sounded hideous... This gives Durant the clear first option role which means he can take as many shots as he wants, and he'll also get a great young shooting guard who main identity is defense. Rondo can help players; even Perkins in scoring easy shots with nice passes, and is a great overall player.

It works out, because we get a young PG who is 26, and still has room to grow.

I personally don't like Westbrook, but CBS has a way with players, so we'll see. Not many of us liked Humphries. I believe if OKC doesn't win this year, one of the players are going to leave unless OKC blows it up and makes a strong trade/moves in off-season. Because their cheap, Rondo is probably not gonna want the full max, but close to it.

Star-for-star swaps don't happen very often because front offices don't like that kind of risk... You trade your superstar PG and it doesn't pan out, time to find a new job.

Eh. I wouldn't mind doing it, and I wouldn't care if it didn't. I think this trade works out for both. I would love someone like Westbrook on this team, because he can be our go to guy, and score the points we need in crunch time minutes with points inside, and easy buckets from FTA.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2014, 01:26:31 AM »

Offline BigDogPitbull

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 29
Its not bad but I wouldn't do it.  I would like to see Danny build the team around Rondo Bradley and Smart.

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2014, 02:18:53 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
why do you guys here insult Rondo all the time? Is Westbrook that much better than Rondo that you have to add Smart to Rondo to get Westbrook?

I don't know why Rondo is so disrespected here.

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2014, 02:50:18 AM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
why do you guys here insult Rondo all the time? Is Westbrook that much better than Rondo that you have to add Smart to Rondo to get Westbrook?

I don't know why Rondo is so disrespected here.

I agree. Not only do you give up on Smart before you give him the chance to be anything close to expectations, you give them a Nets pick in 18??? I think those are the "fillers" AND we give up Rondo?????? I can't!

It's as if we have to PAY people to take RR in some people's mind. I know people think that the people who like Rondo overrate him but we could go on for days, back and forth... I don't think he is untouchable but let's be clear, he isn't chopped liver either. As if RW is so much better than RR. ::)
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2014, 03:43:59 AM »

fitzhickey

Yuck.

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2014, 06:41:29 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
If I'm Rondo ...

After reading this

I pour another bucket of ice water over my head

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2014, 08:00:00 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
I would, but if anyone said no to this, it would be OKC.

I think they value Westbrook as much as they value Durant.

For the Celts, I think it be a great move.

I know many will debate me on this, but I just think Westbrook is a better point guard than Rondo.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see Rondo stay here long-term as he's now the "senior" member of the team and brings some continuity to the team.

I certainly wouldn't trade him for the crap that Sacramento is rumored to be offering.

But for Westbrook, I definitely would.

But again, if anyone says no, it's OKC and not the Celts.

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2014, 08:22:42 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
If you're OKC the only thing stopping you from doing that is if Rondo wants lots of money and you think you can't afford that

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2014, 08:43:38 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
If you're OKC the only thing stopping you from doing that is if Rondo wants lots of money and you think you can't afford that

Hmmm, not sure about that.

I just think Durant, Westbrook and Ibaka are all untouchable.

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2014, 09:16:43 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
No thank you.

Don't know how this sounded hideous... This gives Durant the clear first option role which means he can take as many shots as he wants, and he'll also get a great young shooting guard who main identity is defense. Rondo can help players; even Perkins in scoring easy shots with nice passes, and is a great overall player.

It works out, because we get a young PG who is 26, and still has room to grow.

I personally don't like Westbrook, but CBS has a way with players, so we'll see. Not many of us liked Humphries. I believe if OKC doesn't win this year, one of the players are going to leave unless OKC blows it up and makes a strong trade/moves in off-season. Because their cheap, Rondo is probably not gonna want the full max, but close to it.

Eh. I wouldn't mind doing it, and I wouldn't care if it didn't. I think this trade works out for both. I would love someone like Westbrook on this team, because he can be our go to guy, and score the points we need in crunch time minutes with points inside, and easy buckets from FTA.
of course you wouldn't see how this was hideous, you proposed it.  trust another opinion, this IS hideous.

Rondo and Westbrook could be argued as equal in value.  The Rondo haters will say he's not worth a rack of basketballs and say OKC would want more.  The Rondo lovers will say he's worth more because he does more, except shoot/score.  the ones not on the opposite ends of the spectrum see the differences in their games and could see one or the other being better depending on the team situation.

The proposal to throw in Smart, the 2018 Nets pick (which I anticipate being in the lottery) and more to get a player of equivalent value for Rondo is hideous overpayment.  that's just based on player value.

Personally, I don't want to chance trading a PG that's working well with Stevens to bring in a guy that, in your own words, "CBS has a way with players, so we'll see".  why?  that's a negative right there that you have to risk that this guy, who thinks he's on Durant's level as a scorer since he takes as many shots as Durant, will not get along with the coach.

Furthermore, I don't want Westbrook for the same reason that you do want him --> he's a score-first PG.  he looks for his shot more than he should.  He's on the same team as Durant and yet has a number of games where he takes more shots than Durant.  Does that really make sense to anyone?  Not me--have to question this kids BBIQ to the point where if he's that much of a gunner with Durant on his team, how much more of a gunner will he be on a team that doesn't have that level of player on it?  if he's taking over 20 shots during games now, he'll be a bigger chucker than Allen Iverson in his prime once he came here. 

No thanks to Westbrook.  I'll keep Rondo, even if offered straight up, nevermind the hideous overpayment proposed.

« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2014, 09:44:21 AM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
this is a sideways move for the Celtics. if we're moving Rondo? why do it for another PG? I just wouldn't view this deal as getting better.

plus Westbrook on another team would be even more of a ball hog than he already is. Westbrook isn't going to "grow" anymore either, he is what he is. on the Thunder he does need to score though to take some of the pressure off of Durant as they have no one else that can score.

« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2014, 09:50:17 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

Hmmm, not sure about that.

I just think Durant, Westbrook and Ibaka are all untouchable.

Agreed. As long as Scott Brookes is coach, and they're using his offensive principles, the Thunder wouldn't make the most of a point guard like Rondo (for better or worse).
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.