Author Topic: We could have had this guy  (Read 4694 times)

Re: We could have had this guy
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2014, 05:01:10 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
Isnt this a routine breakaway dunk in today's NBA?

What is the big deal?

I am more excited about this guy's growth potential than this particular play.

I do not see anything extraordinary about this play. He takes off from  the bottom arc of the free throw line.

Most breakaways take more than 2 dribbles, it takes huge strides and great acceleration to do it like he did.

It's pretty impressive.
Maybe it's impressive to some, but I'd say easily 1/4 of the league has enough speed and ballhandling to do it against no defense.  I remember Marcus Banks doing it in games and he had pretty small strides at 6'2" (though his speed made up for that).  Marcus Banks is basically exactly what Giannis might become, a great basketball body and nothing much more.  Even if his body grows to an Eddy Curry level.

So maybe 100 people out of the 450ish who are talented enough to make it into the NBA?
Yeah, like how Gerald Green probably could have done it when he was 18.  "Impressive" things don't always translate to NBA games.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2014, 05:03:04 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Agreed.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2014, 05:05:13 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
Keep in mind a lot of those 450 barely make it on the court.  Those 100 guys are probably enough to make "routine breakaway dunk" true.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2014, 05:43:10 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
Half the league could've had that guy, and there's still no real evidence that he'll become a rotation-level player on a good team.

That said, I rewatched that youtube clip like a dozen times this morning because I was convinced he had to have traveled.

He didn't.

Looked more like palming to me, but I didn't watch it a dozen times.

« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2014, 05:51:46 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
Half the league could've had that guy, and there's still no real evidence that he'll become a rotation-level player on a good team.

That said, I rewatched that youtube clip like a dozen times this morning because I was convinced he had to have traveled.

He didn't.

Looked more like palming to me, but I didn't watch it a dozen times.

I should clarify -- the youtube clip was pitched to me this morning as 'dude took two dribbles to go from his free throw line to the opposite hoop on a breakaway' before I watched the video.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2014, 05:58:29 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
okay lets get some perspective. He did not dribble the ball. He bounced it twice.

There may have been a double dribble, carrying, and travelling on the play.

It was pretty fast but I counted nine steps from the time he grabbed the ball. Nine steps two bounces before he takes off --- do the math folks.

« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2014, 06:14:30 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
Real math or 'gather step' math?

« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2014, 06:25:04 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
lol real math

« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2014, 06:58:07 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
Lebron covered the same distance with 2 dribbles and 7 steps....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGsl36MnOqY

« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2014, 06:58:09 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
Nope  don't want to trade for him. good bench perhaps.

he plays sg
 6.8ppg 1.9 apg   4.4rpg 10.82 PER

The numbers don't tell the whole story.  Watch this clip of him against Durant, particularly the block at 1:48.  Umm, :o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_BOkyq_H3E

It's not just his physical tools that will likely make him a great player in a year or two, it's also his skill.  He is a great passer and rebounder, and judging from that clip (and I've seen all of them on YouTube lol), I not only wish that we had taken him, but also that we kept Pierce and KG.  Jettison Terry (get it?  Oh the lame wit haha) anywhere lol, resign Barbosa mid season, put Pierce on the 5-5-5 plan just like Garnett, wait for Rondo to come back, and trade Jeff Green for someone useful ;D because having him and the Greak Freak on the same team makes no sense.  Giannis would have given us the athleticism and defense at the 2,3, and 4 spots that we desperately needed, and with a few other moves, I think that we could have beaten Miami.  When he was drafted, I didn't know anything about him except that a few people on here had mentioned him but I didn't look at the clips and scouting reports, so I wanted Tim Hardaway Jr, who has turned out to be much better than I expected, but he's not even close to Giannis.  Bill Simmons said he reminded him of Paul George, and I have to agree, but with one modification - he has Durant's body.  Now, Giannis isn't nearly the shooter that Durant and George are (yet, hopefully), but, that aside, he honestly looks like what would happen if you put Durant and George in a blender (to me, anyway).  Who wouldn't want that on their team - and besides, if we had him, we wouldn't have had to try and get Parker or Wiggins.  Giannis is the classic case of the great player who slips, and those are the only guys we can get because we never do well in the lottery, so when he's there, you have to trade for him.  Period.  Had Ainge drafted Stephenson (another lotto talent who fell because of his off court antics) in 2010 and Giannis last year, that is a tremendous core to have moving forward, with Rondo, Lance, and Giannis, never mind Sullinger.  It's also the most realistic rebuild, quite honestly, and see - it can be done on the fly.  Ugh.

« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2014, 08:03:07 PM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
Nope  don't want to trade for him. good bench perhaps.

he plays sg
 6.8ppg 1.9 apg   4.4rpg 10.82 PER

The numbers don't tell the whole story.  Watch this clip of him against Durant, particularly the block at 1:48.  Umm, :o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_BOkyq_H3E

It's not just his physical tools that will likely make him a great player in a year or two, it's also his skill.  He is a great passer and rebounder, and judging from that clip (and I've seen all of them on YouTube lol), I not only wish that we had taken him, but also that we kept Pierce and KG.  Jettison Terry (get it?  Oh the lame wit haha) anywhere lol, resign Barbosa mid season, put Pierce on the 5-5-5 plan just like Garnett, wait for Rondo to come back, and trade Jeff Green for someone useful ;D because having him and the Greak Freak on the same team makes no sense.  Giannis would have given us the athleticism and defense at the 2,3, and 4 spots that we desperately needed, and with a few other moves, I think that we could have beaten Miami.  When he was drafted, I didn't know anything about him except that a few people on here had mentioned him but I didn't look at the clips and scouting reports, so I wanted Tim Hardaway Jr, who has turned out to be much better than I expected, but he's not even close to Giannis.  Bill Simmons said he reminded him of Paul George, and I have to agree, but with one modification - he has Durant's body.  Now, Giannis isn't nearly the shooter that Durant and George are (yet, hopefully), but, that aside, he honestly looks like what would happen if you put Durant and George in a blender (to me, anyway).  Who wouldn't want that on their team - and besides, if we had him, we wouldn't have had to try and get Parker or Wiggins.  Giannis is the classic case of the great player who slips, and those are the only guys we can get because we never do well in the lottery, so when he's there, you have to trade for him.  Period.  Had Ainge drafted Stephenson (another lotto talent who fell because of his off court antics) in 2010 and Giannis last year, that is a tremendous core to have moving forward, with Rondo, Lance, and Giannis, never mind Sullinger.  It's also the most realistic rebuild, quite honestly, and see - it can be done on the fly.  Ugh.

If you like Giannis take a look at Bruno Caboclo.

« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2014, 08:30:46 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
Greek Freak may have great potential and may turn out to be the "steal" of the draft but that doesn't mean that Olynyk wasn't a good pick too.  Drafting is a crap shoot at best.  The best basketball minds in the world watch, measure, time, analyze, and everything else and still only about 50% of even the top picks end up being "good" picks.

I think DA has done pretty well against the field.  Guys like Mercer (may have been before DA I know), Gerald Green, you can understand how you can miss on them.  They just kind of didn't develop once they got in the NBA.  But how in the world could all of the scouts not see that that Fab Melo was too slow physically and mentally to play in the NBA.

No, you can do the what ifs and second guess all you want but I don't see how you can have a problem with Ainge picking Olynyk just because greek freak grew a few more inches.

« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2014, 08:40:30 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
Greek Freak may have great potential and may turn out to be the "steal" of the draft but that doesn't mean that Olynyk wasn't a good pick too.  Drafting is a crap shoot at best.  The best basketball minds in the world watch, measure, time, analyze, and everything else and still only about 50% of even the top picks end up being "good" picks.

I think DA has done pretty well against the field.  Guys like Mercer (may have been before DA I know), Gerald Green, you can understand how you can miss on them.  They just kind of didn't develop once they got in the NBA.  But how in the world could all of the scouts not see that that Fab Melo was too slow physically and mentally to play in the NBA.

No, you can do the what ifs and second guess all you want but I don't see how you can have a problem with Ainge picking Olynyk just because greek freak grew a few more inches.

This kid was not under the radar at all. Danny scouted him, there were a lot of people that thought we would take him. Can someone remind me of the draft order again?

« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2014, 09:25:42 PM »

Offline ge

• Svi Mykhailiuk
  • Tommy Points: 3
Is there really a need for yet another thread where ignorant people, haters, and apologists fail to understand that we practically messed up by not taking Antetokounmpo on the draft ? Have any of these watched a game, not some highlights or stats sheets, so that they can realise what he brings on the table ? Do any of these followed him growing up before he entered the NBA ? Ainge did and there are people who did before Ainge knew about him. Don't get me started with saying how all NBA GMs and decision makers are gods and the rest of us are just idiots. In a year where we were desperate for talent and length we chose Olynyk over Giannis. I've said right from the start this would turn out to be a historical mistake.