Author Topic: Somethings gotta be brewin - Love deal soon-C's over 20 players?  (Read 11077 times)

Re: Somethings gotta be brewin - Love deal soon-C's over 20 players?
« Reply #30 on: August 22, 2014, 08:49:53 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
There just aren't any 'cornerstone' guys available, and I don't think Ainge has freed up all this cap room to simply blow it on another 3 years of Josh Smith in the hope that Rondo stays.

Only 2 guys that I can see us making a move for are Roy Hibbert and Larry Sanders.
Sanders would make sense because the Bucks may just want to move him on and he's a cheap contract. I still don't know if Ainge would roll the dice on him though- he does like to gamble on these kind of players but I can't remember the last one he signed for more than a season at a time.

Bass+Bogans+ Clippers pick= Larry Sanders $ 11 million.
Defensive center/elite rim protector. 10 points, 10 rebounds in 27 minutes a game in his last healthy season and only $11 million. He's also never played with a pass first point guard so Rondo probably gets him another 6 points a game in 30 mins a night too. If you can get him off the drugs and booze he's a bargain. That's an expensive 'if' though.

For Hibbert it could be a similar deal with Green+Bass+pick= Hibberts $15 million. Depends what Larry Bird wants and I doubt he gives up Roy for that little. You'd probably have to include Olynyk or Sullinger.

And someone said Green won't be traded because Turner came to play with Green and Sully.
That's horsesh$%^ and if you think Ainge is keeping Green's semi-expiring butt around to keep Evan Turner happy then you're slightly high.

Green and Bass are the two most likely traded guys on the roster. (as in to be traded this offseason).

If we could get Hibbert, that would be great.

I just think a change of scenery, new coach and new point guard (not like Indiana even had a point guard) could do Hibbert a world of good.

And if for some reason, he's as bad here as he was in Indiana, he only has 2 years left (unless he opts out of his player option next year) so it's not like we are "stuck" with him.

Plus if Hibbert has his head on straight with Rondo returning to being healthy, I think we are a playoff team.

I am not sure we have what it takes though to land him.

Despite his disastrous performance in the playoffs, the need for young, talented centers in the league is at a premium.

« Reply #31 on: August 22, 2014, 03:49:53 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
They'll try, I'm sure, but at this point the most likely case is Bogans is cut from his non-guaranteed deal, and we sign on Turner.
If we are cutting the non guaranteed guys, why bring in more camp bodies? I think a trade in which we deal multiple players for one player or picks is more likely.

The difference is that the other non-guaranteed guys will be fine going to the Celtics training camp, Bogans probably wouldn't show up.
But Babb and Johnson would.  No, signing these camp bodies makes no sense to me.

It's pretty simple.  Players signed to summer contracts that are non-guaranteed don't count against the cap unless they make the regular season roster.  The team can designate three players cut from their training camp to be on their D-League affiliate.  The Celtics are signing some camp bodies who they would like to have in that role. 

They did the same thing with Chris Babb last season.  The guys they are bringing in are guys who they would consider having in Maine so that if the Celtics make a mid-season trade that opens up a roster spot, they have guys with some familiarity with the system who they can call up for a ten-day contract if they need a warm body due to concerns about depth and possibly sign to a unguaranteed contract that can be used to facilitate a trade, just as DJ White was included in the Nets trade to maximize the size of the trade exception that was received.

These guys might never make Boston's regular season roster, but some options are being created here.
Yeah I now understand the rules and strategy, thanks. I guess the front office think that one or both of these guys are potentially better than Babb or Johnson. If they want to keep an eye on them for a year. I am sure that either might have been happy to hang around on a one year non-guaranteed deal since they are virtually a lock to get cut (assuming Turner is signed) and likely go play in Europe without any strings to the C's.   

« Reply #32 on: August 22, 2014, 05:18:50 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2478
I have a hard time believing this tweet because what "cornerstone" guy to pair with rondo would actually be available?

some might say josh smith

Cornerstone to a crumbling building, maybe.

I don't think a Smith trade is out of the question, though.

Personally, I'd like to see Josh Smith here
i think smith would make sense in charlotte...
- charlotte gets josh smith and jeff green
- detroit gets rondo + wallace
- boston gets vonleh, MKG, other prospects/picks (zeller? caldwell-pope? hairston?)

- charlotte gets an elite defender to pair with jefferson in josh smith, and a very good swingman in green, and now, with kemba and stephenson in the backcourt, they have one of the most athletic teams in the league. they don't have a lot of star power per se, but we saw how well indiana could play with a similar roster.
- detroit effectively swaps smith for rondo and wallace's toxic contract. they now have a ball distributor who can get the ball to their bigs. they get the best player in the trade, though he's a free agent after the season, so they're taking a risk.
- boston gets young talent and dumps wallace. considering the lack of quality of the other potential trade suitors for rondo, charlotte's prospects might be as good as we get.

« Reply #33 on: August 22, 2014, 05:47:03 PM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
I have a hard time believing this tweet because what "cornerstone" guy to pair with rondo would actually be available?

- boston gets vonleh, MKG, other prospects/picks (zeller? caldwell-pope? hairston?)

- charlotte gets an elite defender to pair with jefferson in josh smith, and a very good swingman in green, and now, with kemba and stephenson in the backcourt, they have one of the most athletic teams in the league. they don't have a lot of star power per se, but we saw how well indiana could play with a similar roster.
- detroit effectively swaps smith for rondo and wallace's toxic contract. they now have a ball distributor who can get the ball to their bigs. they get the best player in the trade, though he's a free agent after the season, so they're taking a risk.
- boston gets young talent and dumps wallace. considering the lack of quality of the other potential trade suitors for rondo, charlotte's prospects might be as good as we get.

I think for any smith/rondo trade to work, they wind up on the same team.  green to charlotte i like, but in order for rondo to go to detroit, smith has to be there.
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #34 on: August 22, 2014, 07:08:33 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417

No thanks.

« Reply #35 on: August 23, 2014, 08:45:25 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.

I actually really like this idea, and it's the first time I've seen it.
Only problem is that I can't see Rondo re-signing in Detroit, ever, unless they gave him the max and no one else wanted to.

The counter argument to this would be that Detroit doesn't really care right now if Rondo would re-sign with them or not, they'll just be happy to get out of Smith's contract- which could be enough incentive to do a deal and they'd treat Rondo as a 'fingers crossed' added benefit of doing the deal. Would be sweet to watch Rondo with Monroe and Drummond for a season I guess.
I'm a big fan of Vonleh, not so much MKG but he's a nice piece for our rebuild either way.
What would be funny is if Rondo was traded in a deal like this, and then came back to the Celtics as a free agent. That would be a very Ainge/Rondo kinda move  8)

Nice idea kraidstar.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #36 on: August 23, 2014, 10:02:58 AM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471

Detroit is not making any deal like that without resigning Monroe first.

Mike