Author Topic: Somethings gotta be brewin - Love deal soon-C's over 20 players?  (Read 11078 times)

Re: Somethings gotta be brewin - Love deal soon-C's over 20 players?
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2014, 01:40:45 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
I think somehow some of our trash heads to Philly ...just not sure what we get out of the deal.

« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2014, 01:47:13 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
I have a hard time believing this tweet because what "cornerstone" guy to pair with rondo would actually be available?

some might say josh smith

Cornerstone to a crumbling building, maybe.

I don't think a Smith trade is out of the question, though.

Personally, I'd like to see Josh Smith here

« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2014, 01:49:52 PM »

Offline Humble G

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 983
I think somehow some of our trash heads to Philly ...just not sure what we get out of the deal.

Read somewhere they tried to get bradley......maybe send him and trash for nerlins??? .....doubt it but would love it

« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2014, 01:57:46 PM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
I have a hard time believing this tweet because what "cornerstone" guy to pair with rondo would actually be available?

yeah so he can play SF for us, something he excels at.

« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2014, 02:06:47 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
They are definitely going to try to make a trade. If it's for a "cornerstone" guy, however, it will definitely be a surprise (though a welcome one).

Exactly how I feel.

I think it'll make us worse (most likely), be more of a shuffling of parts (with some younger players added), or very insignificant.

I know probably no one will agree with me but I still think Josh Smith can be saved.  With a better coach, system, PG to hold him accountable and a team that lets him play his position (PF, where SF only encourages his weaknesses in shooting) I think he could still return to form.

We are still talking a guy that was the best player on Atlanta and played really well for them at times.  He really played us well in the Playoffs many times.

If he becomes the defender he used to be and an athlete in transition, how dangerous would a rotation with Rondo, Avery, Smart, Smith be?  Playing defense and getting out on the break?

He isn't my first choice but I still like him.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2014, 02:25:09 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
They are definitely going to try to make a trade. If it's for a "cornerstone" guy, however, it will definitely be a surprise (though a welcome one).

Exactly how I feel.

I think it'll make us worse (most likely), be more of a shuffling of parts (with some younger players added), or very insignificant.

I know probably no one will agree with me but I still think Josh Smith can be saved.  With a better coach, system, PG to hold him accountable and a team that lets him play his position (PF, where SF only encourages his weaknesses in shooting) I think he could still return to form.

We are still talking a guy that was the best player on Atlanta and played really well for them at times.  He really played us well in the Playoffs many times.

If he becomes the defender he used to be and an athlete in transition, how dangerous would a rotation with Rondo, Avery, Smart, Smith be?  Playing defense and getting out on the break?

He isn't my first choice but I still like him.

I'll go ahead and agree with you. I've always been a big Smith fan despite his obviously and oft brought up flaws. He has a huge contract but he is a legit talent. Not a number one guy, not a pure superstar but he can play a role, play that role VERY well and also excell at other parts of the game.

The problem is he takes up a lot of cap space and I wouldn't want to trade much to get him. If we could get Smith for say... Bogans, Bass, one of our plethora of first rounders and whatever unguaranteeds needed to get it done I do it in a heartbeat... However, do the Pistons just want a salary relief package for him? Doubtful. Some other team would have to step up and offer something better.

Rondo/Smart
Bradley/Turner
Green/Wallace
Smith/Sully
KO/Zeller

That's a decent 10 man rotation with plenty of assists left over to make a pitch for the "cornerstone" player when he becomes available. A package of Bradley, Sully, Thortons expiring and a couple firsts at the deadline could add us a nice upgrade at the center (or SG position) depending on who might become available.

« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2014, 02:28:31 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448

The problem is he takes up a lot of cap space and I wouldn't want to trade much to get him. If we could get Smith for say... Bogans, Bass, one of our plethora of first rounders and whatever unguaranteeds needed to get it done I do it in a heartbeat... However, do the Pistons just want a salary relief package for him? Doubtful. Some other team would have to step up and offer something better.

I like him with this kind of deal in mind, to be clear.  On a better contract, I'd have no reservations of signing Smith as a FA.  On his current one, I'd just want it to be us giving up not much for him, stuff that was just taking up room anyways and an asset or two.

I'm not sure what Detroit can get for him or will be offered.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2014, 10:40:52 PM »

Offline Waew

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 50
Danny isnt following Rondo on twitter. lol.

« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2014, 11:12:25 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
They'll try, I'm sure, but at this point the most likely case is Bogans is cut from his non-guaranteed deal, and we sign on Turner.
If we are cutting the non guaranteed guys, why bring in more camp bodies? I think a trade in which we deal multiple players for one player or picks is more likely.

The difference is that the other non-guaranteed guys will be fine going to the Celtics training camp, Bogans probably wouldn't show up.
But Babb and Johnson would.  No, signing these camp bodies makes no sense to me.

« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2014, 12:01:34 AM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
I don't get why the 20 players means anything is imminent, I'm not saying something wont happen soon but we don't have to shed any players for about 2 more months. Maybe the Bogan's contract is coming up, I don't know... I just know 20 players at this point, doesn't matter. I know whatever we do or don't do, DA will exhaust all possibilities and I'll be okay with w/e he does, even if it's giving up players I don't want him to, I trust in his strategy... I will be upset in the beginning LOL but I'll get over it.
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2014, 12:34:23 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
They'll try, I'm sure, but at this point the most likely case is Bogans is cut from his non-guaranteed deal, and we sign on Turner.
If we are cutting the non guaranteed guys, why bring in more camp bodies? I think a trade in which we deal multiple players for one player or picks is more likely.

The difference is that the other non-guaranteed guys will be fine going to the Celtics training camp, Bogans probably wouldn't show up.
But Babb and Johnson would.  No, signing these camp bodies makes no sense to me.

It's pretty simple.  Players signed to summer contracts that are non-guaranteed don't count against the cap unless they make the regular season roster.  The team can designate three players cut from their training camp to be on their D-League affiliate.  The Celtics are signing some camp bodies who they would like to have in that role. 

They did the same thing with Chris Babb last season.  The guys they are bringing in are guys who they would consider having in Maine so that if the Celtics make a mid-season trade that opens up a roster spot, they have guys with some familiarity with the system who they can call up for a ten-day contract if they need a warm body due to concerns about depth and possibly sign to a unguaranteed contract that can be used to facilitate a trade, just as DJ White was included in the Nets trade to maximize the size of the trade exception that was received.

These guys might never make Boston's regular season roster, but some options are being created here.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2014, 12:49:15 AM »

Offline Eric M VAN

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 61
  • No no no, not THAT "Eric M Van".

It's pretty simple.  Players signed to summer contracts that are non-guaranteed don't count against the cap unless they make the regular season roster.  The team can designate three players cut from their training camp to be on their D-League affiliate.  The Celtics are signing some camp bodies who they would like to have in that role. 

They did the same thing with Chris Babb last season.  The guys they are bringing in are guys who they would consider having in Maine so that if the Celtics make a mid-season trade that opens up a roster spot, they have guys with some familiarity with the system who they can call up for a ten-day contract if they need a warm body due to concerns about depth and possibly sign to a unguaranteed contract that can be used to facilitate a trade, just as DJ White was included in the Nets trade to maximize the size of the trade exception that was received.

These guys might never make Boston's regular season roster, but some options are being created here.

And they did the same thing last year with Chris Babb, Damen Bell-Holter, DeShawn Sims and Kammron Taylor.

Jamar Smith the year before

Jamal Sampson, Greg Stiemsma, Michael Sweetney The year before that.

There's no tri-lateral commission conspiracy working here.

TP  to LC for the clarification
"Because there are no fours."
-- Antoine Walker when asked why he shoots so many threes

"We're going to turn this team around 360 degrees."
-Jason Kidd

« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2014, 12:56:01 AM »

Offline GetLucky

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 349
Well since nothing is brewing, as proven by the lovely CBers, and we're talking trade with the Wolves, maybe we could get Corey Brewer to get things rolling. I know you all don't Love the idea compared to all of the conspiracy theories that got that other guy in Minnesota, but oh well.

« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2014, 01:04:56 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Nothin brewin.  We usually sign some scrubs for training camp.  We'll cut them eventually and waive the required players to get down to 15. 

« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2014, 08:40:34 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
There just aren't any 'cornerstone' guys available, and I don't think Ainge has freed up all this cap room to simply blow it on another 3 years of Josh Smith in the hope that Rondo stays.

Only 2 guys that I can see us making a move for are Roy Hibbert and Larry Sanders.
Sanders would make sense because the Bucks may just want to move him on and he's a cheap contract. I still don't know if Ainge would roll the dice on him though- he does like to gamble on these kind of players but I can't remember the last one he signed for more than a season at a time.

Bass+Bogans+ Clippers pick= Larry Sanders $ 11 million.
Defensive center/elite rim protector. 10 points, 10 rebounds in 27 minutes a game in his last healthy season and only $11 million. He's also never played with a pass first point guard so Rondo probably gets him another 6 points a game in 30 mins a night too. If you can get him off the drugs and booze he's a bargain. That's an expensive 'if' though.

For Hibbert it could be a similar deal with Green+Bass+pick= Hibberts $15 million. Depends what Larry Bird wants and I doubt he gives up Roy for that little. You'd probably have to include Olynyk or Sullinger.

And someone said Green won't be traded because Turner came to play with Green and Sully.
That's horsesh$%^ and if you think Ainge is keeping Green's semi-expiring butt around to keep Evan Turner happy then you're slightly high.

Green and Bass are the two most likely traded guys on the roster. (as in to be traded this offseason).
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.