Author Topic: Somethings gotta be brewin - Love deal soon-C's over 20 players?  (Read 11097 times)

Online heyvik

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 75
I kinda think somethings gonna happen within the next few days Aug 21-25th. I think the whole K Love to Cleveland will happen (its been about a month since CLE officially signed Wiggins).

But I'm also thinking that there's a real possibility that the C's are gonna be a facilitator in some trade. I get the feeling that its gonna revolve around Monroe (DET) and a surprise player. I was reading a Tweet convo and it got me thinking - actually citing the same question that I had.

"Mark Deeks ?@MarkDeeksNBA  To those wondering how Celtics could have signed all these players and not gone over the 20 man roster limit: Evan Turner hasn't signed yet."
I know its not unusual for a team to have 20 players for training camp, but I think that Danny is hording players to use them in a trade to a team in need. Kinda think a 3 way trade is gonna happen where at least Bass and Green get traded - with pics.
Also feeling that this trade will be as precursor to trying to convince Rondo to stay in Boston. I think Danny will make this trade to net a 'cornerstone' player to pair with Rondo. However if Rondo does decide to leave next year the C's will have a quality player to build with.

Thoughts?

Re: Somethings gotta be brewin - Love deal soon-C's over 20 players?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2014, 10:40:57 AM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
They are definitely going to try to make a trade. If it's for a "cornerstone" guy, however, it will definitely be a surprise (though a welcome one).

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2014, 10:41:52 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I do find it curious that they went ahead and signed these camp invites before finalizing Evan Turner's contract.

I do expect moves after the Love deal is done, however, I don't expect them to be very big moves, more back end stuff that improves the last 5 guys on our team.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2014, 10:44:00 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Green i doubt will go anywhere, until the trade deadline. Reason for turner to sign here was to play with green, sully (same agent).

Danny if he could help it wants to badly get rid of wallace, bogans and johnson/babb . picks are good but maybe if there is a team that is willing to give us a player with a big expiring contract danny might even throw in the trade exception or a 2nd round pick of our own.

For example bogans, bass, wallace plus a 2nd for stoudermire could be a good trade. Then turner backsup green, young gets some playing time too and we get some increase flexibility with our roster

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2014, 10:49:21 AM »

Offline DarkAzcura

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 100
They'll try, I'm sure, but at this point the most likely case is Bogans is cut from his non-guaranteed deal, and we sign on Turner.

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2014, 10:54:17 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
I do find it curious that they went ahead and signed these camp invites before finalizing Evan Turner's contract.

I do expect moves after the Love deal is done, however, I don't expect them to be very big moves, more back end stuff that improves the last 5 guys on our team.

Or even just clears some bodies and/or some $ off next year's payroll.

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2014, 10:58:29 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
They'll try, I'm sure, but at this point the most likely case is Bogans is cut from his non-guaranteed deal, and we sign on Turner.
If we are cutting the non guaranteed guys, why bring in more camp bodies? I think a trade in which we deal multiple players for one player or picks is more likely.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2014, 10:59:49 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Hopefully.

Wonder if the Celts end up being either a 3rd or 4th team facilitator in the Love deal.

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2014, 11:14:43 AM »

Offline European NBA fan

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 141
If we are cutting the non guaranteed guys, why bring in more camp bodies? I think a trade in which we deal multiple players for one player or picks is more likely.

The difference is that the other non-guaranteed guys will be fine going to the Celtics training camp, Bogans probably wouldn't show up.

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2014, 11:29:15 AM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
I love how all these guys offer up their completely speculative thoughts. that "everything we're doing makes no sense, so we must be trying to land a cornerstone guy".

yet they don't suggest or even speculate as to who that might be. might just be because Love was the only stud player remotely available for trade and they actually are just spewin nonsense with these speculations.

I have no doubt we might have something brewing. but hoarding a bunch of 0's to trade does not get you a #1. if anything earth-shattering happens it's going to be Rondo being dealt and even that isn't getting a "cornerstone guy".

it's going to be a slow process and we're going to have to endure a lot of bad basketball. we may as well embrace that thought now.

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2014, 11:53:09 AM »

Offline bostonsportsforlife

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 23
I could certainly see Danny sending out a piece or two and getting something minor back to facilitate the Love deal.

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2014, 12:00:27 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
I have a hard time believing this tweet because what "cornerstone" guy to pair with rondo would actually be available?

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2014, 01:13:38 PM »

Offline Hawkeye199

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 131
I have a hard time believing this tweet because what "cornerstone" guy to pair with rondo would actually be available?

some might say josh smith
zach lavine-jeremy lin-tyus jones
jeremy lamb-tyshen prince-Andre miller
will barton- beljina-
Kevin love-kevin garnet-payne
Karl anthoney Towns-JJ hickson

« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2014, 01:14:58 PM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
I think its more likely that Rondo gets traded.We tried with Love and it wasn't meant to be....ok. Now its more likely youth movement imo.

« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2014, 01:24:13 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

some might say josh smith

Cornerstone to a crumbling building, maybe.

I don't think a Smith trade is out of the question, though.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.