Author Topic: Celtics-King Trades Idea No Rondo  (Read 3738 times)

Celtics-King Trades Idea No Rondo
« on: August 20, 2014, 11:53:48 PM »

Offline Marcus_ODFS

• JD Davison
  • Tommy Points: 0
Celtics get Rudy Gay
Kings get Jeff Green & Brandon Bass

Why Celtics: Rudy Gay's contract expires. Rondo friend. Allows more time for Sully/KO/Zeller/Vitor. I don't think this makes the Celtics any better or worse, but it does rid us of Jeff Green Headaches plus ample cap space this upcoming summer.

Why Kings: Jeff Green would be an upgrade shooting wise and could be a better fit in Sacramento then Rudy Gay was/is. But of course his inconsistencies will haunt Jeff Green for eternity. They will also get a quality veteran off the bench. I'm sure the Kings wouldn't mind that especially with Cousins headcase moments. Plus Bass' contract expires as well and Jeff Green could opt if things don't work.

In my opinion, the key part here is nobody is taking on any bad contracts.

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine

Re: Celtics-King Trades Idea No Rondo
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2014, 12:11:56 AM »

Offline celticpride1

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 40
Why they are both the same player? This does nothing to help  us long term.

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2014, 12:15:17 AM »

Offline Marcus_ODFS

• JD Davison
Frees up $19 million for Celtics when Rudy Gay's contract expires.

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2014, 03:52:26 AM »

Offline FreddieJ

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 7
Don't see it for Sacramento. Rudy has been balling there, don't see why they would want to make a Gay/Green swap. They have a lot of PFs as well, so I don't know how much Bass would help them

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2014, 07:00:08 AM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
both Green and Bass are expiring ...all depends on Greens opting out.

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2014, 08:05:14 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
I love it for the Celts as this is the type of move I would prefer to make

Keep Rondo and add start talent around him.

Unfortunately, I don't think Sacramento does this

HOWEVER, I do think Rudy should be a free agent target next summer.

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2014, 08:12:09 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315

Why Kings:...Jeff Green could opt if things don't work.

Actually Green is only likely to opt out if things do work, because only then will he be able to command a better deal.

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2014, 09:31:54 AM »

Offline Marcus_ODFS

• JD Davison

Why Kings:...Jeff Green could opt if things don't work.

Actually Green is only likely to opt out if things do work, because only then will he be able to command a better deal.

This is true. He would probably opt out to get a larger contract, but say things don't go well and he doesn't like Sacramento etc. I can see him opting out there as well. A lot of "what ifs" though.

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2014, 09:33:55 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
we'll already be free of Green and Bass next year since Green is likely to opt out anyway so he can cash in on a much bigger deal.

Gay's deal also applies more $ to this year's cap which is a negative.  His $19 mill coming off the books next year has no impact on the cap figures for next year since the same contracts that would be on the books when his deal expires are the same contracts that will be on the books when Bass expires and Green opts out.  no financial gain at all

Gay is essentially the same player as Green -- a little more offense but less defense.

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2014, 09:36:00 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
I love it for the Celts as this is the type of move I would prefer to make

Keep Rondo and add start talent around him.

Unfortunately, I don't think Sacramento does this

HOWEVER, I do think Rudy should be a free agent target next summer.
Gay is your idea of 'star' talent?  he's Green with a happier name. ;)   he's not a building block but a role player on a top team.  3rd or better yet, 4th banana on a top team

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2014, 02:15:42 PM »

Offline Marcus_ODFS

• JD Davison
we'll already be free of Green and Bass next year since Green is likely to opt out anyway so he can cash in on a much bigger deal.

Gay's deal also applies more $ to this year's cap which is a negative.  His $19 mill coming off the books next year has no impact on the cap figures for next year since the same contracts that would be on the books when his deal expires are the same contracts that will be on the books when Bass expires and Green opts out.  no financial gain at all

Gay is essentially the same player as Green -- a little more offense but less defense.

Jeff Green can still opt into his contract for '15-'16 and I'd rather not risk that.

The way I see it, the Celtics have to get rid of either Wallace or Jeff Green before next season and getting rid of Wallace is a lot tougher than green. If we trade green and maybe use the stretch on Gerald Wallace (I really hope not just playing out a scenario). That could free upwards of $30 million in space.

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2014, 02:43:31 PM »

Offline bostonsportsforlife

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 23

Jeff Green can still opt into his contract for '15-'16 and I'd rather not risk that.

The way I see it, the Celtics have to get rid of either Wallace or Jeff Green before next season and getting rid of Wallace is a lot tougher than green. If we trade green and maybe use the stretch on Gerald Wallace (I really hope not just playing out a scenario). That could free upwards of $30 million in space.

stretching Wallace is not a good idea. Why let him affect the cap when we're supposed to be contending? His contract only has 2 years left. It may hurt flexibility next offseason, but overall, id rather get screwed over next offseason than lose a nice chunk of flexibility for the next few years

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2014, 03:36:12 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

stretching Wallace is not a good idea. Why let him affect the cap when we're supposed to be contending? His contract only has 2 years left. It may hurt flexibility next offseason, but overall, id rather get screwed over next offseason than lose a nice chunk of flexibility for the next few years
Agree on Wallace.  he's not going anywhere this year.  since we're nowhere near contending for a playoff spot, nevermind a title, his salary means little.

Next year he's an expiring deal that can be used as salary filler for a well-paid player if we're shipping out some young players and/or picks.  stretching him nullifies that (limited) value and saddles us with $5mill in salary for 5 years.  foolish to do so.

As for the prior Green comment about him opting in-->sure that could happen but it is extremely unlikely.  Only way it happens is if he injures himself or has a completely god-awful year.  Just have to look as far as the ridiculous deals handed out to Parsons and Hayward who are very similar players to see what Green could reasonably expect to command on next year's open market--->particularly with the cap going even higher.