Author Topic: Tiago Splitter vs. Tyler Zeller  (Read 6094 times)

Tiago Splitter vs. Tyler Zeller
« on: August 20, 2014, 10:18:55 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Zeller
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmczJJ_HJCY

Splitter
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rryLxYYaBpE

Is Zeller's + 20 pounds of weight = Splitter??  (both know where to be on the court, fundamental,  high motor, mobile, 7 footers)

IF we had Splitter on our team to play at the center position, how much would that help our lineup?

Re: Tiago Splitter vs. Tyler Zeller
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2014, 10:26:07 PM »

Offline kg is king

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 37
  • KG IS THE KING
For one, Splitter is much more polished and physical than Zeller. Give Tyler a couple of more years and he can become a similar type player.
"I'm from the bottom, I understand what it's like to have and to not have. My perception on giving is to put yourself in those people's shoes and go from there. So that's what I did. " - The One and Only KG

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2014, 11:17:19 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
For one, Splitter is much more polished and physical than Zeller. Give Tyler a couple of more years and he can become a similar type player.

With what you said, how much would Tiago Splitter help this lineup out?  Could he battle and hold his own vs say a Drummond

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2014, 11:25:04 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Read the thread title and in my head I heard, 'EPIC RAP BATTLES IN HISTORYYYY'

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2014, 11:51:16 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
world champion vs. promising youngster
Popovich           vs. CBS

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2014, 01:10:50 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
More like the Oxygen Network Vs. CBS.

That said, Splitter's older than Rondo, and isn't likely to get much better. Could Zeller get to Tiago's level in five years? Very Possibly.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2014, 03:16:07 AM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2478
c's need a rim protector, splitter is not that guy... and he's already 29. and will probably be on the decline by the time the c's contend again. i'd rather develop our young players and take shots at guys with higher upside through the draft.

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2014, 11:04:32 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
c's need a rim protector, splitter is not that guy... and he's already 29. and will probably be on the decline by the time the c's contend again. i'd rather develop our young players and take shots at guys with higher upside through the draft.

The question relates to what if zeller puts on 15-20 pounds , can he start at center and be productive like splitter has been

Splitter right now would help us out no doubt. He is not very athletic or fast but has enough weight/strength not to get pushed around and his positional defense and feel of game is great

If zeller exits the celts org in a few seasons i acn see a team like the spurs picking him right up and turning him into another splitter. Hopefully we can do that 1st
« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 11:19:45 AM by triboy16f »

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2014, 11:22:07 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
More like the Oxygen Network Vs. CBS.

That said, Splitter's older than Rondo, and isn't likely to get much better. Could Zeller get to Tiago's level in five years? Very Possibly.
Tiago has always been regarded as a higher level talent though.

I don't think he has the same physical tools, if Zeller ever moves beyond a bad starter/good backup I'll be happy.

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2014, 12:00:39 PM »

Offline bostonsportsforlife

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 23
I don't know much about Zeller. Is he a solid defender, or yet another Celtics big man that is offense only?

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2014, 12:51:37 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja
I don't know much about Zeller. Is he a solid defender, or yet another Celtics big man that is offense only?

a very good question. below is at least one answer. i got it from this online article ...

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1953338-breaking-down-tyler-zellers-improvement-for-cleveland-cavaliers

Defensive Activity

No one would go as far to call Zeller a great defender, but he's improving.

The weight gain was a big help, especially with guys like Hibbert, Tyson Chandler, Andre Drummond and Al Jefferson in the East to compete against.

Strength was an issue for Zeller last season, as was quickness. The Cavs run a lot of defensive sets requiring the center to slide out and cut off the opposing point guard on pick-and-roll sideline plays. It's then the center's responsibility to get back to his original man, or open post player, as quickly as possible.

Zeller can still be slow on these, and often gets into foul trouble because of it. His blocked shot/shooting foul rating was just .45 last season (via 82games.com). For comparison, Hibbert's is 1.40 this year.

Zeller has been quicker on his recovery this season, and is doing a better job of blocking shots without fouling. His blocked shot/shooting foul rating is up to .84 in 2013-14. Still a long way from a player like Hibbert, but nevertheless a nice improvement from his rookie year.

Here are some other key defensive stats and ratings showing Zeller's improvement from last season. All stats are on a per-36 minute basis.

DRtg   REBS   STLS   BLKS   DRB%
2012-13   110   7.8   0.6   1.2   16.7
2013-14   107   9.7   0.8   1.3   19.5
Zeller's added muscle has made a big difference on the boards.

He's now pulling in nearly 20 percent of all available defensive rebounds, and is up to 9.7 total boards per 36 minutes.

Steals and blocks are slightly improved, and his defensive rating is down three points from a season ago.

I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2014, 01:12:37 PM »

Offline bostonsportsforlife

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 23
Thanks for the info. TP.

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2014, 01:33:16 PM »

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 134
When actually given time on the floor late last year, Zeller was pretty [dang] good.  I want to see more.  I think its a helluva pickup by Danny.

« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2014, 01:39:06 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
Zeller would be an all star on the Spurs and Splitter would wind up a scrub with our luck ;D

« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2014, 01:39:08 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja
When actually given time on the floor late last year, Zeller was pretty [dang] good.  I want to see more.  I think its a helluva pickup by Danny.
i agree that danny did a great job of giving up nothing to get a decent player. i am not sure how he will turn out eventually, but with stevens as coach i think he can become an decent starting center, or, a good backup on a championship level team.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva