Author Topic: The Celtics have signed Rodney McGruder and Christian Watford to one-year deals?  (Read 12154 times)

Offline lon3lytoaster

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 157
  • Word aapp!
Someone has to want to want bogans, babb, johnson non guaranteed contracts . we should get one or two 2nd picks hopefully

Probably not, unfortunately. Free agency is all but over, except for perhaps Bledsoe and him being a RFA likely puts off any team from clearing cap space to sign him. We'd probably have to take back a worse contract to earn ourselves a pick, as well. That doesn't help our roster situation any.

I'm sure Danny is probably trying to do something like that,  but unless someone owes Danny a favor, Bogans will likely be waived by us shortly.

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I believe that the league is moving to keep teams from doing top 55 protected trades.
What makes you say that? I haven't read anything about that. If you have could you please provide a link because I think that would be a step in the right direction. Never been crazy about the "let's trade players to a team and basically send nothing back in return" type trades?

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
I believe that the league is moving to keep teams from doing top 55 protected trades.
What makes you say that? I haven't read anything about that. If you have could you please provide a link because I think that would be a step in the right direction. Never been crazy about the "let's trade players to a team and basically send nothing back in return" type trades?

I'd have to go back and search for it, since the google terms are basically useless, but I'm pretty sure I saw an article linked on here that said something about the Front office limiting the sort of "so heavily protected you'll never get the pick" type of trades in a memo or somesuch. Perhaps when we made those trades for Philly's mythical first rounder/two seconds, or maybe it was in one of the Asik threads.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

I'd have to go back and search for it, since the google terms are basically useless, but I'm pretty sure I saw an article linked on here that said something about the Front office limiting the sort of "so heavily protected you'll never get the pick" type of trades in a memo or somesuch. Perhaps when we made those trades for Philly's mythical first rounder/two seconds, or maybe it was in one of the Asik threads.

I know they're cracking down on trading draft rights to players that will never come overseas in salary dump type situations, but I haven't heard anything about not allowing heavily protected seconds
I'm bitter.

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25640
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

I know they're cracking down on trading draft rights to players that will never come overseas in salary dump type situations, but I haven't heard anything about not allowing heavily protected seconds

It was in the another memo issued at about the same time.  I believe it allows top-55 protection, but nothing more restrictive than that (i.e., no top-59 protection).

EDIT:  http://www.shamsports.com/2014/07/consideration-in-trades-and-trade.html#more

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

It was in the same memo.  I believe it allows top-55 protection, but nothing more restrictive than that (i.e., no top-59 protection).

Okay, that makes sense.  Top-55 protection must still be allowed, though, because I think our deal with the Cavs included one
I'm bitter.

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
That's the memo I was thinking of -- looks I remembered incorrectly.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Thanks Roy.  TP

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Someone has to want to want bogans, babb, johnson non guaranteed contracts . we should get one or two 2nd picks hopefully

There are plenty of teams who have useless players they would like to trade for those non-guaranteed contracts.  Of course, most of those players are signed beyond next season.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
In other news Danny Ainge had nothing else better to do with his day so he signed two guys that wont make us any better unless he plans on trading away Rondo for nothing and starting Phil Presley to make sure we tank this year.

Next target is the guy who makes the burritos at the Qdoba across the street from the Garden.
philly just signed him to start

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

There are plenty of teams who have useless players they would like to trade for those non-guaranteed contracts.  Of course, most of those players are signed beyond next season.
which is why they would have to send us something of value for providing that team salary relief.  taking all 3 to unload an unproductive player making that much $ should be worth at least a first for the effort. 

I wouldn't take on that player if their contract extended past this year though --> seriously believe next offseason is when Danny makes some moves to improve the team with Bass, Anthony and Fav off the books and Green likely to opt out.  needs the cash to resign Rondo (to a reasonable deal) and use Wallace as the salary-fill in a trade for a big name making big $

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
I only remember Christian Watford for this play.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-_hdfZCQGM

How come I cant embed the videos and only show the link?

2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
In other news Danny Ainge had nothing else better to do with his day so he signed two guys that wont make us any better unless he plans on trading away Rondo for nothing and starting Phil Presley to make sure we tank this year.

Next target is the guy who makes the burritos at the Qdoba across the street from the Garden.

I heard its a nonguaranteed contract, though.

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428

I heard its a nongluaranteed contract, though.
l
Nonguarganteed only if he is not in starting lineup.  Early scouting reports are he is lighting up the scrimmages

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
I only remember Christian Watford for this play.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-_hdfZCQGM

How come I cant embed the videos and only show the link?
actually, that may be the greatest moment in watford's life. if so, not a bad one to have.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva