Author Topic: The Celtics have signed Rodney McGruder and Christian Watford to one-year deals?  (Read 12205 times)

Offline vinnie

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 429
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbWSeRbK-cI

I was thinking another Steve Novak but looks to have some extra tricks. Kind of athletic, looks like has strength.  Maybe like a Robert Horry later in his career?  looks like a deadly shooter

Robert Horry.   :o ??? ::)

Offline lon3lytoaster

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 157
  • Word aapp!
They are probably non-guaranteed deals that set them up for spots on the D League...
Don't think that can be the case. They would each consume a roster spot and we haven't even gotten to training camp yet.

A sign of a bigger move to come?

No. The last 2 (or 3) players we waive at the end of training camp, those player's D-league rights are given to our affiliated team, should they so choose to sign in the D-League. They aren't obligated to, after bejng waived by the Celtics to play in the D-League, but if they do it'll be for Maine.

So yes, they're being signed solely for training camp and for us to possibly keep a closer eye on them in the D-league with Maine. We've done this multiple times before. No other, bigger deal is likely at all to be on the horizon.

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

Mcgruder is a 6'4 shooting guard playe in hungary and summer league teams, Warford is a 6'9 SF 23 yo who played in israel.

another shooting guard and another wing. Danny is ready for when someone gets traded.

The top one never gets old, but the bottom one is pretty fantastic (and new to me). TP.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
They are probably non-guaranteed deals that set them up for spots on the D League...
Don't think that can be the case. They would each consume a roster spot and we haven't even gotten to training camp yet.

No. The last 2 (or 3) players we waive at the end of training camp, those player's D-league rights are given to our affiliated team, should they so choose to sign in the D-League. They aren't obligated to, after bejng waived by the Celtics to play in the D-League, but if they do it'll be for Maine.

So yes, they're being signed solely for training camp and for us to possibly keep a closer eye on them in the D-league with Maine. We've done this multiple times before. No other, bigger deal is likely at all to be on the horizon.

Can you clearify further. Right now we have 17 players under contract (2 non guaranteed).  It could be 18 with Turner.  We just signed Frazier and now these two guys (per this thread).

So that brings us up to 21. How many can we keep on the Celtics roster and how many can be waived and sent to Maine before the regular season starts?

Offline celticpride1

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 40
In other news Danny Ainge had nothing else better to do with his day so he signed two guys that wont make us any better unless he plans on trading away Rondo for nothing and starting Phil Presley to make sure we tank this year.

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
McGruber!

I was just about to say, is anyone else thinking of this right about now? ;D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-nTHdlB28M

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbWSeRbK-cI

I was thinking another Steve Novak but looks to have some extra tricks. Kind of athletic, looks like has strength.  Maybe like a Robert Horry later in his career?  looks like a deadly shooter

Robert Horry.   :o ??? ::)

Dickie V!  Baby! ::)  Ugh.  I remember seeing that shot.  What a spin move on James Young, btw.  He doesn't look like he can dribble, though, but I like his post game :)  I'm kind of wondering why we signed him and not Laquinton Ross, though, who's now in Italy.  Why wasn't Ross drafted, anyway?  Weight issues or something?

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
another under-sized shooting guard...

signing them is one thing. but the fact that we keep insisting on looking at under-sized shooting guards is more of a problem. 

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
In other news Danny Ainge had nothing else better to do with his day so he signed two guys that wont make us any better unless he plans on trading away Rondo for nothing and starting Phil Presley to make sure we tank this year.

Next target is the guy who makes the burritos at the Qdoba across the street from the Garden.

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315

Mcgruder is a 6'4 shooting guard playe in hungary and summer league teams, Warford is a 6'9 SF 23 yo who played in israel.

another shooting guard and another wing. Danny is ready for when someone gets traded.

The top one never gets old, but the bottom one is pretty fantastic (and new to me). TP.

It's worse--Warford is really another PF.

Offline bostonsportsforlife

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 23
There's some sort of move coming in the near future - Turner can't be signed at all right now due to a full 20 man roster. Whether it's one of the non guaranteed scrubs getting waived or Bogans being traded for a minor asset, there's something coming soon. Could be as simple as one of McGruder, Watford or Frazier getting waived if needed.

Offline lon3lytoaster

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 157
  • Word aapp!

Can you clearify further. Right now we have 17 players under contract (2 non guaranteed).  It could be 18 with Turner.  We just signed Frazier and now these two guys (per this thread).

So that brings us up to 21. How many can we keep on the Celtics roster and how many can be waived and sent to Maine before the regular season starts?

I think the camp roster limit is 20. I don't believe Turner has been officially added yet, so I would expect someone to be traded or waived (Bogans) prior to that. If there is a trade it would likely be us trading Bogans for a Top-55 protected second rounder. Unfortunately this LeBron James, Kevin Love thing kinda has Everyone waiting on that.

The last two or three players we cut in training camp have their D-League rights transferred to ME, or they at least have first dibs on those players IF they choose to play in the D-League over Europe or somewhere like that.

So for right now, 20 players is fine. We will need to cut that to 15 by the end of October and then the last 2 or 3 (can't remember) to be cut can sign on with Maine. Once they're cut they obviously don't count against the Celtics regular season roster.  I think you may have been getting a bit hung up on their rights being transferred to maine part but they would officially be free agents and we'd have no actual rights to them. This really just benefits us by being able to keep a close eye on their development playing in a Celtics styled system in Maine.

Offline European NBA fan

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 141
lon3lytoaster is right. I would guess that DA still hopes to get something out of Bogans' non-guaranteed contract, it could be quite useful in trades, and might bring us an unprotected second round pick at best.

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Someone has to want to want bogans, babb, johnson non guaranteed contracts . we should get one or two 2nd picks hopefully

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
I believe that the league is moving to keep teams from doing top 55 protected trades.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.