Author Topic: When the Love deal happens, does that being another domino of moves?  (Read 2395 times)

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
If I am not mistaken, I believe this Saturday is when Wiggins can be dealt.

After Love gets dealt from one arm pit to another, I am wondering if that will cause another series of moves throughout the league, including the Celts.

Re: When the Love deal happens, does that being another domino of moves?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2014, 12:10:11 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I'm sure there will be a small ripple effect once it happens.  I think a lot of the deals that could have happened this year were squashed once the Lebron move and expected Love trade were publicized. 

If Love were going anywhere other than Cleveland, I think there would have been a much more active trade season with even more teams thinking they have a shot at it this year.

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2014, 12:21:36 PM »

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2152
I think Philly will move to acquire expiring contracts to meet salary minimum requirements. They have until the trade deadline to meet the $50+ million needed.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Bass, Anthony, the non-guaranteed and Philly's pick sent there for the cap relief, roster compression and trade exemption that comes from it. A $17 Million dollar trade exemption would be a nice chip for the Celtics.
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2014, 01:38:48 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
I think Philly will move to acquire expiring contracts to meet salary minimum requirements. They have until the trade deadline to meet the $50+ million needed.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Bass, Anthony, the non-guaranteed and Philly's pick sent there for the cap relief, roster compression and trade exemption that comes from it. A $17 Million dollar trade exemption would be a nice chip for the Celtics.

Supposedly, Philly could also be involved in the Love deal as Saunders reportedly has a warm and fuzzy feeling for Thaddeus Young.

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2014, 02:02:19 PM »

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2152
That's why I believe they will wait until after the deal to start absorbing players.
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2014, 02:15:03 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352

It's not a concern for Philly if they are below the minimum salary threshold. Whatever the difference is between the threshold and total player salaries is divided among players on the roster. Basically, every rostered player gets a raise.

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q15

Teams with a team salary below the minimum are surcharged for their shortfall, with the money distributed among the players on that team.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2014, 03:34:10 PM »

Offline Eric M VAN

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 61
  • No no no, not THAT "Eric M Van".

It's not a concern for Philly if they are below the minimum salary threshold. Whatever the difference is between the threshold and total player salaries is divided among players on the roster. Basically, every rostered player gets a raise.

Teams with a team salary below the minimum are surcharged for their shortfall, with the money distributed among the players on that team.

Speaking of Philly,,,,do they HAVE to sign Embiid right now if he's injured and out all season? Is there a benefit or deadline to them waiting? Can they avoid shelling out cash or pro-rate his pay if they just wait?  He just remains their property, right? Like having a guy signing overseas. What did they do about signing Noel last year? (Looked it up, he signed last September but there was a thought he might return during the season....I think)
"Because there are no fours."
-- Antoine Walker when asked why he shoots so many threes

"We're going to turn this team around 360 degrees."
-Jason Kidd

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2014, 03:37:53 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352

Speaking of Philly,,,,do they HAVE to sign Embiid right now if he's injured and out all season? Is there a benefit or deadline to them waiting? Can they avoid shelling out cash or pro-rate his pay if they just wait?  He just remains their property, right? Like having a guy signing overseas. What did they do about signing Noel last year? (Looked it up, he signed last September but there was a thought he might return during the season....I think)

I bet they do if they want to have any say/input/control over his rehab process.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2014, 03:39:06 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
No, I don't think so. Too late in the summer. Most teams have settled squads and are ready to head into the season. I do not expect major moves now. Too late in off-season.

I do think the K-Love acquisition will lead to an arm's race later in the season though. Closer to the trade deadline. After teams have had a chance to evaluate the changes they have already made this summer and what they need to do to keep pace with the top teams in league (like Cleveland). A lot like the KG to Boston trade did in summer 2007 when several teams made big moves mid-season to catch up to a great Celtics team. Shaq to Phoenix. Pau Gasol to LA Lakers. Jason Kidd to Dallas.

This is the sort of timeline and activity I am expecting as a consequence of this Kevin Love trade. Multiple big moves but at midseason rather than now. 

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2014, 03:48:48 PM »

Offline Eric M VAN

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 61
  • No no no, not THAT "Eric M Van".

I bet they do if they want to have any say/input/control over his rehab process.

Yeah, that makes sense but I wonder if anything forces them to sign him. I think it would be stupid not to just from a good will perspective and what you said about controlling (and probably paying for) rehab/using their Drs/facilities.
"Because there are no fours."
-- Antoine Walker when asked why he shoots so many threes

"We're going to turn this team around 360 degrees."
-Jason Kidd

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2014, 04:01:18 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
Yes I think after the Love deal there will be a bunch more moves. They probably won't happen right away but I expect a lot of smaller moves to happen after that.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2014, 02:35:34 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950

You lose a player's draft rights if he goes unsigned for a year and doesn't play pro basketball in another league.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference