Author Topic: Dick Bavetta Retired  (Read 6484 times)

Re: Dick Bavetta Retired
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2014, 03:31:38 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
Woo hoo

Par tee

« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2014, 04:45:15 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
+1 to whut everybody else said.

I truly do hope this is an actual step towards fixing the disgusting wreck that is NBA officiating, but I'll remain skeptical until the stench is truly gone.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2014, 04:50:29 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871

http://proxy.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/020606

to any who haven't read it, here's a semi-famous 2002 article by bill simmons, scroll down about 2/3 of the way and there's a long section titled "The Most Disturbing Sub-plot in The Playoffs."
really amazing stuff, and it only covers a short span of bavetta's career. there's also a bennett salvatore reference, a man whom i truly hate, and was part of the crew that sunk the celtics with the endless stream of early fouls in game 3 of the 2010 finals.

i wonder if silver had anything to do with bavetta leaving? stern leaves, then we get maybe the best-officiated playoff run since before the bad boy pistons. then dick bavetta, stern's go-to fixer (according to donaghy's book), retires? these are truly happy times for nba fans.

But but but some say the NBA is not fixed.???

« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2014, 04:53:19 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja
lol he old.
a condition you hope you will achieve someday, no?
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2014, 04:55:43 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
lol he old.
Yeah, but I'd also like to achieve retirement, rather than keep fudging up at work on a minutely basis with the entire world watching

« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2014, 04:57:21 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

to any who haven't read it, here's a semi-famous 2002 article by bill simmons, scroll down about 2/3 of the way and there's a long section titled "The Most Disturbing Sub-plot in The Playoffs."
really amazing stuff, and it only covers a short span of bavetta's career. there's also a bennett salvatore reference, a man whom i truly hate, and was part of the crew that sunk the celtics with the endless stream of early fouls in game 3 of the 2010 finals.

i wonder if silver had anything to do with bavetta leaving? stern leaves, then we get maybe the best-officiated playoff run since before the bad boy pistons. then dick bavetta, stern's go-to fixer (according to donaghy's book), retires? these are truly happy times for nba fans.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=What+is+confirmation+bias%3F
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2014, 05:40:22 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
lol he old.

nah.

live pretty fast, die in late middle age, leave an arteriosclerotic corpse.

« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2014, 05:49:42 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2478

i actually have an older friend who knows someone who used to work in the NBA league office, the guy says stern was "crooked as hell." not hard to believe after watching enough games.

« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2014, 05:52:54 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
I've read your post at least 15 times but I still can't figure out whether or not to applaud you for some excellent satire.

At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2014, 07:49:16 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 996
I thought Marc Davis hated the Celtics?

Or was that only towards Rajon Rondo  ;D

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2014, 08:22:04 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
On the other hand, this means we can start hoping for less bias against the Celtics, right?

You're kidding, right?

« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2014, 08:23:34 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji
Does this mean he has to give back the Sorcer's Stone?

Ahahaha, TP ;D

« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2014, 08:31:17 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji
everyone realize that the most tenured nba ref is now…..wait for it……
joey crawford  :-[

Crawford's fine, he's just a hothead, which he seems to have gotten better control of in recent years. 

Bavetta was the guy who seemed like a "company man" when it came to extending series or getting big market teams over.  Simmons made a nice mini-list in 2002 (almost at the bottom).  Glad he's been out of the playoffs for a few years and glad he's gone now.

Both Crawfords are horrible.  They love the Lakers, and I'm not just talking about game 7.  Bill Kennedy aside, the other guys who I want gone (even though I want all of them out of the league) are Bennett Salvatore and Eddie F. Rush.  It was awesome when Pierce accidentally decked Rush in the 2010 finals ;D  The bottom line here is that they're all atrocious. 

Here's a clip of Elmer Fudd's cousin doing possibly the best rendition of Gangnam Style imaginable -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLwMl0dfEXo

« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2014, 11:42:38 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871

i actually have an older friend who knows someone who used to work in the NBA league office, the guy says stern was "crooked as hell." not hard to believe after watching enough games.

who do you want to believe Stern's apologists, or your own lying eyes? lol

« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2014, 11:43:53 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
Did you just call me a Stern apologist?  :'(

I simply remain unconvinced.