Author Topic: Trade deadline deals  (Read 2194 times)

Trade deadline deals
« on: August 20, 2014, 12:37:58 AM »

Offline celticpride1

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 40
I think that Danny Ainge will be very busy at the deadline this year with alot of expiring contracts. You will see lots of contenders look to get many pieces from the Celtics.Bass,Thorton, Anthony and we all know than Rondo could be dealt as well as Uncle Jeff Green. Unlike this past year when we did nothing that deadline day. I say he makes 3 trades.

Re: Trade deadline deals
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2014, 12:44:38 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
I don't think there will be much action if Ainge sticks to the plan of not trading for players on non-expiring contracts.  I predict there will be no first-round picks sent to the Celtics in a deadline deal.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2014, 07:54:28 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
I think that Danny Ainge will be very busy at the deadline this year with alot of expiring contracts. You will see lots of contenders look to get many pieces from the Celtics.Bass,Thorton, Anthony and we all know than Rondo could be dealt as well as Uncle Jeff Green. Unlike this past year when we did nothing that deadline day. I say he makes 3 trades.

I agree that I think if the Celts are below 500 leading up to the trade deadline, that DA will make some trades.

However, he might not necessarily move Rondo. He could look to deal guys like Green, Bass and possibly even Bradley, keep Rondo and decide to build around him going forward.

That would be good news because that would mean Ainge wants to the team to return to relevance as soon as next summer.

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2014, 09:16:54 AM »

Offline bostonsportsforlife

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 23
i don't think it will be super active but danny may utilize the humphries TPE

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2014, 09:28:17 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I think we will get more value then for Green or Bass should we trade them.  However, the downside of waiting is they play and take minutes away from guys staying and also probably put up a better record than the youth movement would, so it hurts our draft chances.

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2014, 11:18:17 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
If the Celtics are offered anything of value without having to take back any salary for next year I expect them to be moved before the deadline. If no team is offering anything for them, I wouldn't be surprised if they just let their contracts expire after the year.

Between now and the deadline I expect the Celtics to make multiple trades, if Rondo is dealt I expect Green to follow. More likely than not if the C's don't make any more off season deals, no deals will come until the playoff contenders have separated themselves from the lottery teams.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2014, 12:07:35 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I think you're right that Danny will be fielding a bunch of calls this year.  With Bron moving to Cleveland and Miami no longer perceived as an insurmountable team, there'll be more teams that think they have a shot at it this year.  Celtics have several good role players that could be attractive to other teams looking for one last piece to get them over the top.

Green, Bass and Thornton would seem to be the prime targets for a deadline deal with AB and Turner next in line.  Each is a solid role player that could step in as a starter for whomever acquires them. 

The question becomes what would Danny take in exchange since all are on short deals except AB.  I could see Danny taking on a non-performing player on an expiring deal with a pick in exchange for any of those guys except maybe AB who'd have to have a slightly better return.  Can't see Danny taking on a player with another year on their contract unless he sees a chance to use that player as salary balance in a deal in the 2015 offseason (which is Wallace's only value right now).

I'd be surprised if Danny doesn't make at least one deal at the deadline.  3 seems a bit high though