Author Topic: 2014-15 UEFA Champions League  (Read 54129 times)

Re: 2014-15 UEFA Champions League
« Reply #45 on: August 29, 2014, 04:53:31 PM »

Offline Vox_Populi

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 346
Funny to see people think that BPL has good teams and that Arsenal has a following. You know, there are other teams and leagues out there with better football and better teams. Eventhought I'm not a big BPL, Man city is waaaaaaay better than arsenal and it's all thanks to their coach. Wenger is an old French guy who lucked out to be handed an amazing generation of players 14 years ago and thinks he is SAF. Jose is ten times the coach he his (and I hate JM). AW can't motivate his players (like JM) can't educate his players (jack wilshere cigs and Chicha scandal) and doesn't win... Keep dreaming arsenal fans
Man City's success has more to due with their owner than their manager(s). Pelligrini's a good one, but he wouldn't have even won the title last season were it not for a huge implosion by Liverpool. I have a pessimistic view of Mourinho because barring his stint at Porto and Inter, he typically requires huge funds to do anything.

Also, I'm curious what you mean by Wenger lucked out and got handed an amazing generation. He signed Henry, then a underachieving winger, from Juventus and converted him into a striker. As well as Bergkamp, Viera, Gilberto, Pirés, Lehmann. As a matter of fact, I'm not sure a single starting member of the Invincibles wasn't bought by Wenger. And he did it, while spending less than Chelsea or Man United.  :-\

« Reply #46 on: August 29, 2014, 06:55:36 PM »

Offline Sixth Man

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 82
And your point is....?

Cause the way I understand this man city in the euro top5  in splurging money.

My point?  Just some material facts for folks to chew on.  Sorry if you can't handle that... :'(

I am so bright so could you explain how your material proves that MN city doesn t spend - overpay as much as PSG or real?

My 'material' doesn't prove anything because it wasn't meant to, which was the gist of my previous posting you quoted.  Sometimes, posters post material which is merely a statement of material facts and not meant to bolster someone's position on a particular issue... ::)

« Reply #47 on: August 29, 2014, 07:03:22 PM »

Offline Sixth Man

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
Funny to see people think that BPL has good teams and that Arsenal has a following. You know, there are other teams and leagues out there with better football and better teams. Eventhought I'm not a big BPL, Man city is waaaaaaay better than arsenal and it's all thanks to their coach. Wenger is an old French guy who lucked out to be handed an amazing generation of players 14 years ago and thinks he is SAF. Jose is ten times the coach he his (and I hate JM). AW can't motivate his players (like JM) can't educate his players (jack wilshere cigs and Chicha scandal) and doesn't win... Keep dreaming arsenal fans

I think the root of Arsenal's problems is the composition of the squad.  It's a bit threadbare at key positions, probably because so much dosh was spent to construct the stadium.  Also, Kroenke has a certain way of doing business and Usmanov is sidelined as a large minority shareholder.  AW has also neglected pressing needs in his squad when making purchases.  The lack of a holding type or even a box-to-box mid is an ongoing problem.  There's been little depth on the backline and the striker options are still shockingly limited.

Don't know why AW doesn't make a serious play for Khedira, who would fill a massive hole...

« Reply #48 on: August 29, 2014, 07:33:19 PM »

Offline Yb2

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 4
Bergkamp and all the defence was there before he was appointed. I give you that he smells good bargains like viera Henry .... But players flee him like the plague.  And like Sixth Man said, the team is too unbalanced. Toooooo many CM and AM not enough makeleles khediras (yes I'm a Real Madrid fan). In my opinion the ozil buy was baaaaad. I like Alexis for them, but giroud is not world class and Ochoa isn't all that. Plus, defence is weak. AW got so much used to not spending money that he doesn't know how to use it anymore

« Reply #49 on: August 29, 2014, 09:18:05 PM »

Offline AngryAndIrritable

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 29
Wenger needs to look to George Graham for how to build a defence, and stop trying to go for 'goal of the season' intricate passing every time they have the ball.

Arsenal always play good passing football, but their opponents always know what's coming.

« Reply #50 on: August 29, 2014, 11:30:03 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

I think the root of Arsenal's problems is the composition of the squad.  It's a bit threadbare at key positions, probably because so much dosh was spent to construct the stadium.  Also, Kroenke has a certain way of doing business and Usmanov is sidelined as a large minority shareholder.  AW has also neglected pressing needs in his squad when making purchases.  The lack of a holding type or even a box-to-box mid is an ongoing problem.  There's been little depth on the backline and the striker options are still shockingly limited.

Don't know why AW doesn't make a serious play for Khedira, who would fill a massive hole...

Because he's asking for £200,000 per week wage, £70,000 more than Mesut Ozil and Alexis Sanchez are making.

They probably didnt want to pay that much or he should be wearing an Arsenal kit already. Honestly, no one should.

Agree with the rest though. Still no top class DM in the lineup. Maybe he can put Chambers in there and see what happens.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #51 on: August 29, 2014, 11:46:04 PM »

• Jrue Holiday

Because he's asking for £200,000 per week wage, £70,000 more than Mesut Ozil and Alexis Sanchez are making.

They probably didnt want to pay that much or he should be wearing an Arsenal kit already. Honestly, no one should.

Agree with the rest though. Still no top class DM in the lineup. Maybe he can put Chambers in there and see what happens.

The idea of putting in a green youngster from Southampton who normally plays right or centre back at defensive midfield (and couldn't even get in their first team) is frankly awful. It's not a position for a youngster.

Wenger's defence simply isn't good enough to play without a decent holding midfielder. He needs to address one of these deficiencies at the least.

« Reply #52 on: August 30, 2014, 12:21:03 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
I don't think Khedira is a top class defensive midfielder anyway. More of a box-to-box player than a true holding midfielder or destroyer type. A nice upgrade on Flamini but not enough to drastically change Arsenal's hopes of winning more silverware. Given the high transfer fee (?20mil reportedly) Real Madrid are demanding and the high wages ($200k! I didn't know that), I wouldn't pursue Khedira either.

« Reply #53 on: August 30, 2014, 12:26:23 AM »

• Jrue Holiday
Xabi Alonso > Khedira.

Think Khedira's value might have inflated thanks to a successful World Cup and the bizarre opinion that a ton of extra height makes you a better defensive midfielder

« Reply #54 on: August 30, 2014, 12:30:16 AM »

Offline Vox_Populi

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 346
Bergkamp and all the defence was there before he was appointed. I give you that he smells good bargains like viera Henry .... But players flee him like the plague.  And like Sixth Man said, the team is too unbalanced. Toooooo many CM and AM not enough makeleles khediras (yes I'm a Real Madrid fan). In my opinion the ozil buy was baaaaad. I like Alexis for them, but giroud is not world class and Ochoa isn't all that. Plus, defence is weak. AW got so much used to not spending money that he doesn't know how to use it anymore
Bergkamp was there before Wenger, although he didn't shine until the latter showed up. But every defender that started for the Invincible team: Cole, Lauren, Campbell and Toure, were acquired by Wenger. All of the previous ones like Winterburn, Adams, Dixon, Keown ect. had retired already.

Like Who said, Khedira isn't a defensive midfielder. He wouldn't solve the team's underlying problem: not enough coverage for the center backs. Arsenal already have Ramsey, Khedira's proclivity to make forward runs, like Ramsey, would result in the same problems Wenger eventually had with Song.

And bro, Ochoa isn't on Arsenal.

« Reply #55 on: August 30, 2014, 12:37:40 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Wenger is reluctant to sign another CB because Chambers has played so well in the first few games of the season and he doesn't want to bring in another CB who will take games away from Chambers and impede Chambers' development.

I don't think Wenger was planning on relying on Chambers to play a large role this year. More of a utility role and then a regular role further down the road. Wenger seemed quite certain to sign a replacement for Vermaelen a short while ago but Chambers has played so well in these first few games that Wenger has grown to trust him and believe him ready to play and contribute in a regular role. Even recommending Chambers to Hodgson as ready to play for English National Team.

I think that is a good stance to take when you have a talented young player available. Especially an English player. Someone who can be part of your core base for next 8-12 years (hopefully!). Definitely a risky decision to make but I think a good risk to take. Chambers has been very impressive for one so inexperienced.

« Reply #56 on: August 30, 2014, 12:41:06 AM »

• Jrue Holiday
Sol Campbell is imho incredibly underrated as a central defender. He held that Arsenal defence together which on paper wasn't a patch on the previous back line and formed a partnership with Distin at Portsmouth which was like a stubborn blue wall.

« Reply #57 on: August 30, 2014, 12:45:28 AM »

• Jrue Holiday
Wenger is reluctant to sign another CB because Chambers has played so well in the first few games of the season and he doesn't want to bring in another CB who will take games away from Chambers and impede Chambers' development.

I don't think Wenger was planning on relying on Chambers to play a large role this year. More of a utility role and then a regular role further down the road. Wenger seemed quite certain to sign a replacement for Vermaelen a short while ago but Chambers has played so well in these first few games that Wenger has grown to trust him and believe him ready to play and contribute in a regular role. Even recommending Chambers to Hodgson as ready to play for English National Team.

I think that is a good stance to take when you have a talented young player available. Especially an English player. Someone who can be part of your core base for next 8-12 years (hopefully!). Definitely a risky decision to make but I think a good risk to take. Chambers has been very impressive for one so inexperienced.

He makes a fine defender from what I have seen of him but playing him out of position at so young an age wouldn't do him any good.

« Reply #58 on: August 30, 2014, 01:30:24 AM »

Offline Sixth Man

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
Xabi Alonso > Khedira.

Think Khedira's value might have inflated thanks to a successful World Cup and the bizarre opinion that a ton of extra height makes you a better defensive midfielder

Xabi Alonso was a great player.  He's still pretty impressive, but at 32, he doesn't have much left in the tank.  He's also on a big wage packet.  It will be interesting to see how he performs at Bayern.  With Martinez injured, Bayern saw a need that could be filled with an exceptionally heady veteran who has won many titles everywhere.  At this point, I would much rather have Khedira, 200K a week or not...

And yes, as many have pointed out, Khedira is a box-to-box.  But I think that given the massive physical black hole in the middle of Arsenal's midfield, he would be most helpful.  If he can avoid injuries, I'd take him over Ramsay (or Wilshere) any day.  They are nice young players, but really really inconsistent. 

Alex Song was a bust at Barca (gee, surprise!), but he had been playing quite well for Arsenal before he left.  He's available, I believe, for peanuts. 

« Reply #59 on: August 30, 2014, 01:32:27 AM »

Offline Sixth Man

• NCE
  • Bill Walton

He makes a fine defender from what I have seen of him but playing him out of position at so young an age wouldn't do him any good.

I strongly agree with this.  Why move Chambers now when he's beginning to enjoy success in another position?