Poll

who do want as the Celts pg for the long term?

Smart
Rondo

Author Topic: who do want as the Celts pg for the long term? Smart or Rondo?  (Read 20488 times)

Re: who do want as the Celts pg for the long term? Smart or Rondo?
« Reply #105 on: August 21, 2014, 11:32:56 AM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
Smart is a tank.
Rondo is a Humvee with a bad wheel.

« Reply #106 on: August 21, 2014, 11:56:44 AM »

Offline bostonsportsforlife

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 23
This is tough...I love Rondo, but he'll simply be too old for this team when it hits its prime. Smart is our PG of the future imo.

« Reply #107 on: August 21, 2014, 12:08:54 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
This is tough...I love Rondo, but he'll simply be too old for this team when it hits its prime. Smart is our PG of the future imo.

Considering that there's evidence that most basketball players hit their personal primes anywhere from 24-28, I don't see the problem with keeping Rondo around for the next four years while we wait for Smart to grow into the player he'll become
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #108 on: August 21, 2014, 12:18:59 PM »

Offline bucknersrevenge

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 170

Considering that there's evidence that most basketball players hit their personal primes anywhere from 24-28, I don't see the problem with keeping Rondo around for the next four years while we wait for Smart to grow into the player he'll become

See I'm not interested in waiting. And I don't think Danny is either. I'm interested in speeding up the learning curve on our draft pick now since we're not going to be in contention for anything exciting in the near future so that when we can add those pieces later and are in a position to contend that  the kid is ready to hit the ground running with the rest of his teammates. We didn't tank last year to draft a 6th or 7th man, re-sign Rondo and win 40 games for the next 3 years while Smart splits backup minutes with Phil Pressey, Marcus Thornton, Gerald Wallace and James Young.
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity...

« Reply #109 on: August 21, 2014, 12:30:56 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
Speeding up the learning curve is one thing, but Smart's likely to be worse than, say, Kyrie Irving during his rookie year.  Which is to say that the kid is going to get better (or not) with or without the playing time that would come from unnecessarily trading Rondo for scraps.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #110 on: August 21, 2014, 12:45:44 PM »

Offline bucknersrevenge

• Don Chaney
Speeding up the learning curve is one thing, but Smart's likely to be worse than, say, Kyrie Irving during his rookie year.  Which is to say that the kid is going to get better (or not) with or without the playing time that would come from unnecessarily trading Rondo for scraps.

I'm not interested in trading him for scraps. If we don't find a good deal, I'd be fine with letting him leave after the season. I'd just rather use our most valuable asset if possible while we have him. Considering that we're not going to be a contender with or without Rondo anytime soon, I'd like to use him in the way that is going to most benefit the team in the future and that's seeing if you can acquire another all-star caliber asset with him.

« Reply #111 on: August 21, 2014, 12:51:43 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell

I'm not interested in trading him for scraps. If we don't find a good deal, I'd be fine with letting him leave after the season. I'd just rather use our most valuable asset if possible while we have him. Considering that we're not going to be a contender with or without Rondo anytime soon, I'd like to use him in the way that is going to most benefit the team in the future and that's seeing if you can acquire another all-star caliber asset with him.

The bolded doesn't seem to jive with 'letting him leave after the season'

« Reply #112 on: August 21, 2014, 12:55:57 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
Smart has not played one nba game yet. You should ask this question next summer.

This^.

A billion times, this.
A billion times a billion times this.

« Reply #113 on: August 21, 2014, 02:23:48 PM »

Offline bucknersrevenge

• Don Chaney

You're absolutely right. Which is why that is definitely not my first choice. But I don't see the wisdom in resigning him if we can't add another all-star talent to make the team viable either.

« Reply #114 on: August 21, 2014, 02:42:50 PM »

Offline Jailan34

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 30

You're absolutely right. Which is why that is definitely not my first choice. But I don't see the wisdom in resigning him if we can't add another all-star talent to make the team viable either.

You're definitely right, and we may not be able to in the future. It seems that other teams don't value our assets as highly as we do, just based on how little Ainge has been able to get done this offseason. I'm sure he tried but he struck out, if he cant snag a legit all star to pair with Rondo than we should trade Rondo for what we can get.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into.