Author Topic: Blakely: Pistons' Monroe potential 2015 target for Celtics  (Read 16397 times)

Re: Blakely: Pistons' Monroe potential 2015 target for Celtics
« Reply #60 on: August 19, 2014, 04:10:23 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
I don't get it

Why wait til 2015???

Why not just sign the guy now or work out a sign/trade with Detroit involving Jeff Green??

Also, I've learned not to put too much stock in what Blakely says.

For all we know, he's referring to Marilyn Monroe.
If all it took was Jeff Green, I would do the deal immediately, something tells me Monroe will cost more than that.

My guess is that you would have to be willing to trade one of Sullinger/Olynyk, the Celtics 2015 unprotected pick, and one of the Nets picks to even be in a conversation about a Monroe S&T.

Once Monroe is on the QO, Detroit will never be able to get a package close to that good for him.

It's no longer a competitive market at that point because he can no longer be traded without his consent.

If Monroe decides he wants to go to some other team, then Detroit's only options are to (a) keep him at the 5.5M QO until he walks next summer or trade him to that other team to get whatever compensation they can -- basically 5.5M of salary matching and whatever 'value' exceeds the 'benefit' of keeping a disgruntled player around till the end of the year.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #61 on: August 19, 2014, 04:18:22 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/sports/wp/2014/08/18/greg-monroe-maximizing-limited-leverage-with-detroit-pistons/

Monroe has until Oct. 1 to sign the deal and would essentially flip the tables on the Pistons. He would then have the right to veto any trade but would sacrifice his Bird rights in the process, making it more unlikely that he will move on before next summer. If a player wasn’t enamored with his situation in the past, he would typically take the money now — either from his current team or another suitor — and force a trade later.

So, Monroe has not yet signed the QO? In which case, a trade is still possible as of right now?
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #62 on: August 19, 2014, 04:21:37 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
I don't get it

Why wait til 2015???

Why not just sign the guy now or work out a sign/trade with Detroit involving Jeff Green??

If all it took was Jeff Green, I would do the deal immediately, something tells me Monroe will cost more than that.

My guess is that you would have to be willing to trade one of Sullinger/Olynyk, the Celtics 2015 unprotected pick, and one of the Nets picks to even be in a conversation about a Monroe S&T.

Once Monroe is on the QO, Detroit will never be able to get a package close to that good for him.

It's no longer a competitive market at that point because he can no longer be traded without his consent.

If Monroe decides he wants to go to some other team, then Detroit's only options are to (a) keep him at the 5.5M QO until he walks next summer or trade him to that other team to get whatever compensation they can -- basically 5.5M of salary matching and whatever 'value' exceeds the 'benefit' of keeping a disgruntled player around till the end of the year.

If all they get in return is Jeff Green, I'd argue that Detroit's best path is to let Monroe sign the QO and hope that they can deal Smith and convince Monroe to come back when J-Smoove is out of the picture.  There needs to be some tolerance of the risk they might lose Monroe for nothing.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #63 on: August 19, 2014, 04:32:18 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I don't get it

Why wait til 2015???

I think you are over rating Monroe's value. Plenty of teams have said they would match any offer on a free agent and it hasn't prevented players from signing max offer sheets. I think that another team hasn't given him a big offer is indicative of his value.

I think the closer Monroe gets to the deadline of signing the QO the lower his price tag becomes. I also think that if he signs the QO it means he is alienated from the Pistons and unlikely to come back.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #64 on: August 19, 2014, 05:01:46 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
I don't get it

Why wait til 2015???

I think you are over rating Monroe's value. Plenty of teams have said they would match any offer on a free agent and it hasn't prevented players from signing max offer sheets. I think that another team hasn't given him a big offer is indicative of his value.

I think the closer Monroe gets to the deadline of signing the QO the lower his price tag becomes. I also think that if he signs the QO it means he is alienated from the Pistons and unlikely to come back.

I think that's a pretty likely estimation of what Detroit wants back for Monroe.  I also would never give them that much. 

Teams don't want to sign a player to a max offer sheet if it will be matched because they often have to renounce free agents and make other moves to clear cap space that they can't take back if the offer sheet is matched.

I think it is smart for Detroit to hold out for more value and be willing to risk losing Monroe for nothing.  If they can only get a minimal return, they should accept the possibility of getting nothing back so that they aren't see as a pushover and disadvantaged in future negotiations with agents and other GMs.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #65 on: August 19, 2014, 05:05:25 PM »

Offline dmopower

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 46
I think Monroe already wants out of a bad situation from the top down. And I think he already wants to be a Celtic.  He is a smart player with fine instincts on offense.  So watching the disaster that is the pistons has to be driving him crazy.   His passing instints and his cutting instincts would fit well in boston as we would maximize his tallents.  And like someone said we have 3 very solid defenders in our 3 primary guards to stay in front of their man and protect Monroe.  Although Monroe fouls very rarley so he could pick it up on defense some and probably would on a team he respects.
blind optimist or GENIUS

« Reply #66 on: August 19, 2014, 05:08:39 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/sports/wp/2014/08/18/greg-monroe-maximizing-limited-leverage-with-detroit-pistons/

Monroe has until Oct. 1 to sign the deal and would essentially flip the tables on the Pistons. He would then have the right to veto any trade but would sacrifice his Bird rights in the process, making it more unlikely that he will move on before next summer. If a player wasn’t enamored with his situation in the past, he would typically take the money now — either from his current team or another suitor — and force a trade later.

So, Monroe has not yet signed the QO? In which case, a trade is still possible as of right now?

As far as I know, Monroe has not officially signed it yet.   RealGM has reported that:

Greg Monroe has told the Detroit Pistons that he will accept the qualifying offer for the 14-15 season and become a free agent next summer.

So that implies he will actually do so.  He has until Oct 1 to actually sign it.  That could happen at any moment.

Up until ink is on the paper, I suppose a sign-and-trade is still possible, but that seems highly unlikely now that Monroe has stated he will accept the QO.

Any S&T would only go to a team Monroe consents to be traded to.   If he wants to go to some team now, he likely would be willing to go later.   I think most teams would prefer to wait until Detroit has lost all their leverage.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.