Author Topic: Blakely: Pistons' Monroe potential 2015 target for Celtics  (Read 16384 times)

Re: Blakely: Pistons' Monroe potential 2015 target for Celtics
« Reply #30 on: August 19, 2014, 09:51:53 AM »

Offline arctic 3.0

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 406
Found this which breaks Monroe's 2014 season down using a variety of metrics. Not a bad read.

http://www.thebirdwrites.com/2014/6/20/5824952/greg-monroe-not-how-but-why

Great read (because it confirms my opinion ;D)
I think he should be a priority, hopefully sooner than later.

« Reply #31 on: August 19, 2014, 10:08:34 AM »

Online jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Yeah, this Detroit situation is a mess. The truth is they are going to lose him for absolutely nothing next year if they don't lock him up now. They could always trade Josh Smith, but they are at the point where they would hope to give him away now.

I know this isn't a popular option amongst people who think teams absolutely won't trade big men, but trading Drummond could probably prove to be the best thing for them. Monroe and Smith actually complement each other quite well as a C/PF combo and I imagine they could get quite the haul for Drummond. From us alone, they could probably get Rondo, Green, and a pick. That would allow for them to balance out their roster, be competitive now, and most importantly maximize all of their assets.

That has to be better than Monroe simply walking and still sucking at the PG and SF positions, right?

« Reply #32 on: August 19, 2014, 10:11:48 AM »

Online jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Found this which breaks Monroe's 2014 season down using a variety of metrics. Not a bad read.

I agree he would be a nice addition, but wouldn't the Pistons have already accepted a deal around him and Green now that he is most seemingly going to leave after next year. If Danny really had interest, he would have already offered at least Green just so he could be sure that we got him.

« Reply #33 on: August 19, 2014, 10:45:28 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft

I agree he would be a nice addition, but wouldn't the Pistons have already accepted a deal around him and Green now that he is most seemingly going to leave after next year. If Danny really had interest, he would have already offered at least Green just so he could be sure that we got him.
I don't think Monroe has officially signed the qualifying offer yet. Until he does there isn't much reason to trade him.

Their are rumors out there that the Pistons refuse to discuss a sign and trade, once Monroe signs the QO that will probably change and I expect us to make some type of offer (although it probably would be better for our long term development to wait a year then try to get him in free agency without giving up any assets)
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #34 on: August 19, 2014, 10:47:27 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
I don't get it

Why wait til 2015???

Why not just sign the guy now or work out a sign/trade with Detroit involving Jeff Green??

Both teams make out like bandits.

Detoits gets a pretty up-tempo team with Green/Smith/Drummond and the Celts get a pretty dang good big for our front-court in Monroe.

Is it really that hard?

Also, I've learned not to put too much stock in what Blakely says.

For all we know, he's referring to Marilyn Monroe.

« Reply #35 on: August 19, 2014, 10:50:04 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
I don't get it

Why wait til 2015???

Why not just sign the guy now or work out a sign/trade with Detroit involving Jeff Green??

If all it took was Jeff Green, I would do the deal immediately, something tells me Monroe will cost more than that.

« Reply #36 on: August 19, 2014, 10:50:45 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
I don't get it

Why wait til 2015???

If all it took was Jeff Green, I would do the deal immediately, something tells me Monroe will cost more than that.

I suppose. But what are they going to do with both Smith and Monroe?

« Reply #37 on: August 19, 2014, 11:00:06 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
I don't get it

Why wait til 2015???

It has been rumored that Monroe said he wouldn't sign with Detroit unless Smith was dealt. However, no one is giving the Pistons anything of value for Smith. I think they end up dealing one of those guys if not both (since Stan Van Gundy's best teams had an athletic rim protector then four shooters around him).

« Reply #38 on: August 19, 2014, 11:02:37 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I don't get it

Why wait til 2015???

Both teams make out like bandits.

Detoits gets a pretty up-tempo team with Green/Smith/Drummond and the Celts get a pretty dang good big for our front-court in Monroe.

Is it really that hard?

1. The C's have no cap space, we cannot sign him outright to an offer sheet.

2. A sign and trade would be possible but considerably complicated given that Jeff Green has an opt out, I doubt he's valued all that highly. We'd have to give up a lot more assets.

Furthermore, both options would require Monroe to consent to coming to Boston. We can wait till next year when we will have cap space and a better idea if he fits with our long term plan well.

« Reply #39 on: August 19, 2014, 11:20:56 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

I don't think Monroe has officially signed the qualifying offer yet. Until he does there isn't much reason to trade him.

Their are rumors out there that the Pistons refuse to discuss a sign and trade, once Monroe signs the QO that will probably change and I expect us to make some type of offer (although it probably would be better for our long term development to wait a year then try to get him in free agency without giving up any assets)

Once he signs the QO though, he loses his bird rights (if traded) and gains a no-trade clause.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #40 on: August 19, 2014, 11:54:37 AM »

Offline arctic 3.0

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 406
I don't get it

Why wait til 2015???

It has been rumored that Monroe said he wouldn't sign with Detroit unless Smith was dealt. However, no one is giving the Pistons anything of value for Smith. I think they end up dealing one of those guys if not both (since Stan Van Gundy's best teams had an athletic rim protector then four shooters around him).

Pistons are in a bind. They need to move one of smith or Monroe.
My guess is they want to move smith, but they are not getting the return they want.
They would prefer to keep Monroe but know that's unlikely if smith is on the roster.
They are also desperate to compete and will need to move one soon to clear the slate.
My guess is that if they can't move smith prior to deadline they will shop Monroe so they don't loose him for nothing in FA.

« Reply #41 on: August 19, 2014, 12:30:48 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
I feel like this cannot be stated firmly enough; if Monroe signs the qualifying offer, he won't be traded for anything approaching fair return. Teams won't have his bird rights, no guarantee of RFA, nobody will trade anything of value for him because they'll be renting him.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #42 on: August 19, 2014, 12:49:09 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
I feel like this cannot be stated firmly enough; if Monroe signs the qualifying offer, he won't be traded for anything approaching fair return. Teams won't have his bird rights, no guarantee of RFA, nobody will trade anything of value for him because they'll be renting him.
So do you think Jeff Green would be enough at that point? Or would you rather just wait than trade Green for him?

« Reply #43 on: August 19, 2014, 12:55:48 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Yeah, this Detroit situation is a mess. The truth is they are going to lose him for absolutely nothing next year if they don't lock him up now. They could always trade Josh Smith, but they are at the point where they would hope to give him away now.

I know this isn't a popular option amongst people who think teams absolutely won't trade big men, but trading Drummond could probably prove to be the best thing for them. Monroe and Smith actually complement each other quite well as a C/PF combo and I imagine they could get quite the haul for Drummond. From us alone, they could probably get Rondo, Green, and a pick. That would allow for them to balance out their roster, be competitive now, and most importantly maximize all of their assets.

That has to be better than Monroe simply walking and still sucking at the PG and SF positions, right?
that would be a tough offer to turn down.  might need KCP from Detroit but that gets the C's their center and headed for a top pick next year. 
Would have to think Detroit would have to consider that --> team solid at PG, SF, PF and C (moving Monroe there).  definitely a playoff team and big/athletic enough to give other top teams some real matchup problems.

« Reply #44 on: August 19, 2014, 02:28:13 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Not only that, he's very unlikely to be traded at all because he loses out on potential sign and trades to land him to a team of his choice.