Author Topic: Blakely: Pistons' Monroe potential 2015 target for Celtics  (Read 16358 times)

Re: Blakely: Pistons' Monroe potential 2015 target for Celtics
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2014, 07:57:59 PM »

Offline arctic 3.0

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 406
Would be great with a mobile shot blocker next to him but we don't have to wait to get the shot blocker first.
In fact why wait at all? Monroe is as good as gone from Detroit. Why not offer them something instead of loosing him to FA.
I'd offer green for Monroe and filler or sully and turner for Monroe right now.
Green fits Detroit well next to smith and Drummond.
Turner and sully both fill a need as well'
Monroe instantly becomes the best big we have.
Run with rondo, Bradley/smart, turner or green, Oly and Monroe and
Address shot blocker with the draft or another deal (Henson?)

« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2014, 08:10:38 PM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
What a croc of a made up story.....u can state this every yr  and just fill in the name...hey LeBum's got an opt out next summer.  Sometimes I think 90% of the crap we read is to sell papers and tickets

« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2014, 08:26:22 PM »

Offline lon3lytoaster

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 157
  • Word aapp!
What a croc of a made up story.....u can state this every yr  and just fill in the name...hey LeBum's got an opt out next summer.  Sometimes I think 90% of the crap we read is to sell papers and tickets

You think just 90% huh?

« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2014, 09:08:26 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Is it likely that we would have heard a rumor of at least a lowball sign-and-trade offer from Ainge if he had any interest in Monroe?

I wouldn't be shocked if the contract Ainge would hypothetically be willing to offer Monroe in 2015 is smaller than the contract he would be willing to offer Rondo.  I might even be shocked if that wasn't the case.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2014, 10:19:13 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
idk guys we really need a guy that can protect the rim....Monroe is good but I don't think he's our guy at center.

We need talent and skill more than "a guy that can protect the rim".

Oh, I guess you haven't been reading celticsblog then. Our biggest need is a rim-protector. :)
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2014, 10:44:22 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Is it likely that we would have heard a rumor of at least a lowball sign-and-trade offer from Ainge if he had any interest in Monroe?

I wouldn't be shocked if the contract Ainge would hypothetically be willing to offer Monroe in 2015 is smaller than the contract he would be willing to offer Rondo.  I might even be shocked if that wasn't the case.

I agree with you, but to play devils advocate, if Ainge was really trying for an all-in approach in 2015, not necessarily a catapulting into contention, but a cessation of tankitude, it would follow that this year he's be in the same place RE Monroe (paying him max money) next summer but without having to give up the valuable assets the Pistons would command in such a trade.

A sidebar, Detroit really does seem adrift right now. They should've moved Monroe before the deadline for the best offer they could've gotten last year. Monroe did not seem content by any means in Detroit and the hardball tactics that the Pistons have employed in RFA cannot have injected any good feelings into the equation. If they let him sign the QO, they will almost certainly lose him for nothing.

They should've offered him the max or traded him. Falk's been angling for a max offer for months before free agency even started, this cannot be much of a surprise.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2014, 10:45:34 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Breaking: Celtics interested in average-to-above average players that may be available.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2014, 11:18:26 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley

I agree with you, but to play devils advocate, if Ainge was really trying for an all-in approach in 2015, not necessarily a catapulting into contention, but a cessation of tankitude, it would follow that this year he's be in the same place RE Monroe (paying him max money) next summer but without having to give up the valuable assets the Pistons would command in such a trade.

A sidebar, Detroit really does seem adrift right now. They should've moved Monroe before the deadline for the best offer they could've gotten last year. Monroe did not seem content by any means in Detroit and the hardball tactics that the Pistons have employed in RFA cannot have injected any good feelings into the equation. If they let him sign the QO, they will almost certainly lose him for nothing.

They should've offered him the max or traded him. Falk's been angling for a max offer for months before free agency even started, this cannot be much of a surprise.

That assumes that Detroit won't cave and offer Monroe more money or that Monroe won't cave and take the sure big contract.  If Ainge really wanted Monroe, he would be foolish to assume that the rare event of a restricted free agent accepting his qualifying offer would occur unless he had the sort of under-the-table assurances that would be a clear case of tampering.

Detroit took the approach of letting the market decide Monroe's value instead of bidding against themselves, something advocated by many fans of various teams with their own restricted free agents.  Do you believe this is a flawed strategy?  Detroit appears to have made an accurate estimation that no team would be willing to sign Monroe for the max.  They don't seem to think he is worth the max and may believe that losing Monroe for nothing is a lesser evil than overpaying him. 

(If you think I wrote that paragraph as a invitation for people to compare Detroit handling Monroe to Boston handling Bradley, you would be right.)

"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2014, 11:48:06 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
I think Detroit needs to do its business or get off the pot, as it were. According to Falk they're not just not bidding against themselves; they're not bidding at all. If that's true, they're going for the kill, not just trying to make a fair deal.

And from a business standpoint, it makes sense. But for all the talk of 'the NBA is a business', I think that what Detroit is actually setting themselves up for is a net loss. I've said this before, but his agent is a former powerhouse in decline. Monroe is his top payday for the foreseeable future, at least in NBA circles.

I think there is a good chance Falk uses Detroit's hard line tactics to make a point of his own, that a potential franchise cornerstone will take the nuclear option, sign the QO, and then sign anywhere else the following year.

Seems petty, but the NBA is a business run by humans. And Falk has 2 RFAs in the next 3 years in Sullinger and Porter. If he doesn't make hay with the Monroe situation, I could easily see Porter or Sullinger changing agents before their free agency comes around.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2014, 01:08:18 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Potential target to what? Overpay?

No thank you. Unless we get a very good defensive big to pair with him, I would not touch Monroe, nor I would pay him a max contract.

And I like his game.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2014, 01:47:10 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
I think Detroit needs to do its business or get off the pot, as it were. According to Falk they're not just not bidding against themselves; they're not bidding at all. If that's true, they're going for the kill, not just trying to make a fair deal.

The rumor is that Detroit initially discussed something along the lines of $12 million per year and have upped their offer to give him a bigger contract than the four years and $54 million given to Josh Smith.  It's possible that these numbers have been talked about but there has been no formal offer. 

Although both Monroe and SVG deny it (as they would even if it were true), there may be some teeth to the rumor that Monroe told the Pistons he would only sign the QO if Smith was still on the roster.

« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2014, 07:13:44 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
not really news but times are slow...

I think the Cs going after Monroe will all depending on the development of sully and to a less extent KO. If sully comes in to camp in better shape I expect him to have a jump in production to around 15pt 9rb. If that happens he will be matching Monroes production while being 2yrs younger and on a rookie deal. If sully struggles with weight, production or injuries then the door opens for Monroe in boston. Either way we really need an long athletic big in the front court.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2014, 08:02:47 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25634
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Any younger big man who's a FA next year is going to be on the C's list I imagine.

Yeah.  I think the good folks of Celtics blog can probably come up with a list of "potential targets" that would be just as accurate as Blakely's.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2014, 09:29:17 AM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
Found this which breaks Monroe's 2014 season down using a variety of metrics. Not a bad read.

http://www.thebirdwrites.com/2014/6/20/5824952/greg-monroe-not-how-but-why

« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2014, 09:41:15 AM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471

(If you think I wrote that paragraph as a invitation for people to compare Detroit handling Monroe to Boston handling Bradley, you would be right.)

Boston certainly looks better right now.  They held onto a starting-caliber two guard for, at worst, slightly over market value, are now able to focus their attention on other moves and have avoided any problems with an unhappy player messing up team chemistry.  Detroit has alienated their 2nd most valuable asset and are going to have this issue hanging over the team all next season.  And even if no team offers Monroe the max next year, he could still take less than that to sign somewhere else like Lance Stephenson.

I mean, Detroit stinks and they have plenty of cap space.  Playing hardball with Monroe because they're worried about cap implications 3 and 4 years down the road is penny wise and pound foolish.

Mike