Author Topic: Jersey retirement  (Read 5880 times)

Re: Jersey retirement
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2014, 06:56:09 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
Loscy was drafted in the top 3 when there were 8 teams in the league and there were still territorial draft picks picked before the draft.

That was my whole point, there "weren't many teams."  A top 3 pick was forced to play on the best team in the league.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2014, 06:58:46 PM »

Offline Eric M VAN

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 61
  • No no no, not THAT "Eric M Van".
Loscy was drafted in the top 3 when there were 8 teams in the league and there were still territorial draft picks picked before the draft.

That was my whole point, there "weren't many teams."  A top 3 pick was forced to play on the best team in the league.

My point is it was a crappy draft that year......anyways, I really don't feel that strongly about the whole retired number thing. Some names could come off, or stay on and it's all fine
"Because there are no fours."
-- Antoine Walker when asked why he shoots so many threes

"We're going to turn this team around 360 degrees."
-Jason Kidd

« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2014, 07:01:39 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
...this organization has been a little bit too liberal with retiring numbers...

Can we just think about this for a second?

http://www.nba.com/celtics/history/RetiredNumbers.html

Who on that list doesn't deserve to have their number retired? (I'll take the argument that Red should have his number of wins retired instead of 2)

We have so many retired numbers because we have an extensive and storied history, not because we just give the numbers away. 

As for KG, I'm still undecided, but lean toward no because he wouldn't really fit in with the other names on the list

Side note: We have 31 players in the hall of fame, but only 22 retired numbers.  We're not even close to giving them away

There are a few they could give back I think

Luscutoff
Nelson
Max
Satch
Jo-Jo

I'd say if the player is in the HOF as a player or Celtics coach  they get hung in the rafters. Reggie Lewis is a special case.
Nelson and Maxwell were both league leaders in efficiency.  Loscy was a 6-time champion and Satch was an 8-time, how many players have contributed to that many banners and didn't get their number retired?  As for JoJo, he was an all-star 7 out of his 9 seasons as a Celtic and a Finals MVP.  He's obviously deserving.

I suppose so. It doesn't kill me their numbers are retired but it could be argued that Loscy, Satch, Max and Nelson having their numbers retired cheapens retiring Birds or Russels or players that far out rank the others somewhat relatively meager accomplishments

Maybe because you let it.  Bird and Russell should have done plenty to set them apart.
Philly:

« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2014, 07:06:03 PM »

Offline Eric M VAN

• Derrick White

Who on that list doesn't deserve to have their number retired? (I'll take the argument that Red should have his number of wins retired instead of 2)

We have so many retired numbers because we have an extensive and storied history, not because we just give the numbers away. 

As for KG, I'm still undecided, but lean toward no because he wouldn't really fit in with the other names on the list

Side note: We have 31 players in the hall of fame, but only 22 retired numbers.  We're not even close to giving them away

Luscutoff
Nelson
Max
Satch
Jo-Jo

I'd say if the player is in the HOF as a player or Celtics coach  they get hung in the rafters. Reggie Lewis is a special case.
Nelson and Maxwell were both league leaders in efficiency.  Loscy was a 6-time champion and Satch was an 8-time, how many players have contributed to that many banners and didn't get their number retired?  As for JoJo, he was an all-star 7 out of his 9 seasons as a Celtic and a Finals MVP.  He's obviously deserving.

I suppose so. It doesn't kill me their numbers are retired but it could be argued that Loscy, Satch, Max and Nelson having their numbers retired cheapens retiring Birds or Russels or players that far out rank the others somewhat relatively meager accomplishments

Maybe because you let it.  Bird and Russell should have done plenty to set them apart.

I'll tell you what, do a Poll and have people vote or rank the "deservedness" of the players 1 through 22 that have their jerseys retired.  See how they rank. Or just a Yes vs No.

-Jason Kidd

« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2014, 07:07:45 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2522
Personally, I'd support unretiring some numbers before any more are retired.  Yeah, yeah, I know...tradition and all that, but if the C's keep retiring numbers pretty soon everybody is going to have numbers in the 50's and 50's!

What I think the Celtics should do is retire a number for 20 years and hang the jersey with the number in the rafters. After 20 years make the number available again, but leave it in the rafters at the same time. If a future #6 is good enough to get his number retired, his jersey would join Bill's jersey in the rafters...and all would still be right with the world.

Building off this and another post, what about setting critieria for retired numbers as a certain # of years as a Celtic with HOF bona fides (with special consideration entry criteria for Red, etc.).   
A second tier would have looser criteria for entry (Garnett would be here).

The numbers retired banner would be reserved for the Mt. Rushmore players. 

The other banner would have names of the other greats, but their numbers would remain available. 

« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2014, 07:26:23 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald

Luscutoff
Nelson
Max
Satch
Jo-Jo

I'll tell you what, do a Poll and have people vote or rank the "deservedness" of the players 1 through 22 that have their jerseys retired.  See how they rank. Or just a Yes vs No.
I'm simply saying, being a part of a larger, more general group shouldn't diminish or "cheapen" other individuals' accomplishments.  The fact that certain other players, say Steve Nash, have won the MVP shouldn't cheapen Jordan's MVPs.
Philly:

« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2014, 07:36:15 PM »

Offline Eric M VAN

• Derrick White

Luscutoff
Nelson
Max
Satch
Jo-Jo

I'm simply saying, being a part of a larger, more general group shouldn't diminish or "cheapen" other individuals' accomplishments.  The fact that certain other players, say Steve Nash, have won the MVP shouldn't cheapen Jordan's MVPs.

Right, but it may cheapen the idea of what an MVP is.... as does having lesser players having their numbers retired.  Maybe there are some years there shouldn't be an MVP or there should be an MVP Magna Cum Laude ,Or Summa etc.

We all know that even though Bird and Satch have their numbers retired Bird > Satch, but what's the cut off....or maybe there doesn't have to be one. Maybe it's just a gesture and it doesn't matter. Why isn't say Larry Seigfried's number retired, or Arhibald's. It's subjective, but it being subjective means there's no criteria for having it done which means all arguments as to whether someone is deserving of it or not are moot.

If you did a poll, you know the guys I listed would probably be at the bottom of the pile.

If the crux of the question was freeing up uniform numbers, let's use decimal places. I'd like the next Celtic superstar to be number 33 1/3

-Jason Kidd

« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2014, 10:08:34 PM »

Offline freshinthehouse

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156

I would have no qualms if Don Nelson, Cornbread Maxwell, Frank Ramsey, and KC Jones hadn't had their numbers retired.  And I have no problem with doing something to pay tribute to Red and Walter Brown, but I'd rather it not be in the form of a retired number. 

I'll give the Lakers credit.  When they retire a players number, they have earned it.  No role players on that list.

*edit*

After tooling around on wiki I noticed that Lakers do something interesting with the old Minneapolis Lakers stars.

"The Lakers have also honored their most notable players during the stint of the franchise in Minneapolis. Although their numbers are displayed on the banners, only the #22 and #34 are officially retired, since they were retired for Elgin Baylor and Shaquille O'Neal respectively."
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 10:35:08 PM by freshinthehouse »

« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2014, 10:11:20 PM »

Offline freshinthehouse

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156

Building off this and another post, what about setting critieria for retired numbers as a certain # of years as a Celtic with HOF bona fides (with special consideration entry criteria for Red, etc.).   
A second tier would have looser criteria for entry (Garnett would be here).

The numbers retired banner would be reserved for the Mt. Rushmore players. 

The other banner would have names of the other greats, but their numbers would remain available.

That is an interesting idea.  I also like the idea of having Pierce be the last retired number since he was the last player worthy of being retired that was a C in the 20th century.  For all post-20th century C's we could start something like a ring of honor.