Author Topic: Yard work/homeowner stuff thread  (Read 50923 times)

Yard work/homeowner stuff thread
« on: August 17, 2014, 11:12:58 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I am currently trying to remove a medium sized pine stump in my free time. I think I'm on week 3 or 4. This is probably the single hardest physical thing I have ever done.  I have virtually no tools. Shovel, garden hose, and pick axe are pretty much doing it all.

Pine trees and shallow without many roots the internet said. Maybe only a few hours the internet said. 

Re: Yard work/homeowner stuff thread
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2014, 11:32:39 AM »

Offline arctic 3.0

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 406
Should only take a few hours with the right technique.
Step 1: you will need a few more tools:
go buy a 4' pinch point point crowbar. Pinch point is important as it will not bend under pressure. Get at the depot for $20-30.
Gather a few larger rocks and a 4x4 or piece of fire wood. The rocks will be used in step 4, the 4x4 is a fulcrum for your new pry bar.
Step 2: expose horizontal spread roots so you can attack with your pick ax.
Step3: cut biggest roots all the way around.
Step 4: use fulcrum and pry bar to lift trunk enough to reveal other roots., jam a rock under to hold in place. Cut roots.
Step 5: repeat 4 until stump is free. Pop out with pry bar.
Good luck and have fun.

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2014, 11:38:29 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
I'm almost done. I expect to soon pull it out with my hands

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2014, 11:49:05 AM »

Offline arctic 3.0

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
With your bare hands! Argh! VICTORY!
Feels good don't it?

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2014, 11:57:23 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
I've been looking for that Independence Day clip of Will Smith after he tricked the alien into crashing and he was like "Yeeeahhhh. That's right! That's right! Look at you all shaboom banged up. Wait till I get another plane and I'm gonna light up all your brothers right beside you!" and then I punch him in the face and knock him out and smoke a stogie and say "Welcome to Earth"

but I can't find the clip. I found a low quality one, but that's it

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2014, 12:03:38 PM »

Offline arctic 3.0

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
Funny.
Personally I go with the Braveheart primal scream "freedom" thing.

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2014, 12:19:00 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
It's done. It's hard to act like I've been there before because I haven't

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2014, 12:26:40 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Good thread.  I love just hang around house and yard, doing various fixes jobs. The past few years I have increasingly paid people to do the backbreaking jobs like removing tree stumps, but there is still plenty to do for a 56-year old.  My wife hates when I get up on a ladder, but I still do that to some extent.

I am just about to buy a table saw and drill press for my workshop garage. Really psyched to finally have some real power tools!

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2014, 12:31:07 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
My favorite chore is mowing the lawn by a long shot only because it reaffirms that I have a lawn

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2014, 12:37:03 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
Good thread.  I love just hang around house and yard, doing various fixes jobs. The past few years I have increasingly paid people to do the backbreaking jobs like removing tree stumps, but there is still plenty to do for a 56-year old.  My wife hates when I get up on a ladder, but I still do that to some extent.

I am just about to buy a table saw and drill press for my workshop garage. Really psyched to finally have some real power tools!
It's not a real workshop without a table saw!!
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2014, 12:40:10 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
I am currently trying to remove a medium sized pine stump in my free time. I think I'm on week 3 or 4. This is probably the single hardest physical thing I have ever done.  I have virtually no tools. Shovel, garden hose, and pick axe are pretty much doing it all.

Pine trees and shallow without many roots the internet said. Maybe only a few hours the internet said. 

1) Fine neighbor with truck, pull chain, and proper hooks.

2) Befrieind said neighbor.

3) Laugh gleefully as neighbor pulls up tree, roots, and everything in 20 seconds.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2014, 12:42:39 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
There is a reason why the country pushes home ownership. There is so much of the economy that is driven by home ownership. It is very important to have ideas about all you need to keep up maintenance of your house and yard otherwise you will be fleeced by various professional providers. Thank God for the internet we now have a tool  for knowing when we are being fleeced.

My HVAC system just went out. It was blowing air but was not cool air. There was an intermittent humming sound coming from the condenser. The first guys out said the compressor was shot, and wanted about $3,000.00 to put in a new one otherwise I would have to buy a new unit, current unit is about 10 years old. They charges $100.00 to come out by the way.

Second guy out, said the system just needs a new capacitor and hard start unit with a thorough cleaning, system tune-up, and new filter. He did this and the system is working fine.

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2014, 12:51:15 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

3) Laugh gleefully as neighbor pulls up tree, roots, and everything in 20 seconds.
Had I known how hard this would be I would have thought harder about this. I was also nervous about destroying a neighbor's truck. I saw videos of huge machines dealing with stumps like this one....and...anyway. I did what I did.

« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2014, 01:09:41 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

Had I known how hard this would be I would have thought harder about this. I was also nervous about destroying a neighbor's truck. I saw videos of huge machines dealing with stumps like this one....and...anyway. I did what I did.

Depending on where the tree is, this might work:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bTpmFGiuZ0

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2014, 01:20:28 PM »

Offline arctic 3.0

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff

Alternate 3:
Cry pitifully as you reimburse said neighbor for new transmission.