Author Topic: Prepping/Survivalist Thread  (Read 4452 times)

Prepping/Survivalist Thread
« on: August 17, 2014, 04:56:13 AM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
This being my 1000th post I wanted to make it mean something. HERE IT GOES:

The purpose of this thread is to help inform and educate ourselves and others on how to survive through any disaster/terror event.
 When one starts prepping the first thing they are told is to join a group/blog/network with like minded individuals. This way if they have questions or need assistance they can get it quickly and easily. Also being part of a group allows you to make contacts that could physically get together and help each other and share resources/cooperation in a disaster/ terrorist event.......CB is a group of like minded individuals and although not all of us live in Boston, MA we get together everyday and voice our opinions and concerns about a multitude things.

So anyone wanting to share stories about why they feel the need to prepare for a terrorist attack or disaster scenario, please feel free to here.

Also anyone wanting to give advice (if advice is wrong we should try correct it  ) feel free to here.

Also feel free to post about any preps you are working on or gear you are researching/purchased.

Incase this is all you are going to read because preparing is not for you, the following are the basic pillars of survival; and you should quickly glance at them to at least see.

WATER
FOOD
SHELTER
GEAR(medicine, tools, medical, nbc air filters, gas masks, and etc)
Security

Re: Prepping/Survivalist Thread
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2014, 06:28:09 AM »

• Ray Allen
I'll start it off with what got me into preparing.

A few years ago I helped work hospice for my grandmother. She moved in when she got very bad and her mind was gone. Anyways it was around Halloween and it snowed causing my town to lose power for 5 days. During those 5 days we had no phone(and no cell phones)no fridge or shower and we could not use the car bc my brother left it w/o filling it up.  I also had very little money at the time bc I was just out of college(actually still had some classes).
Those 5 days were a complete horror. And having my grandmother in her state, well you can imagine. Anyways my neighbor (who we don't talk to) had a generator and I remember thinking "wow that would be great but we almost never lose power so Im not gonna spend money on that especially when it cost more than a nice flat screen".....then that huge storm came a month or 2 later(I can't remember)it was the one where almost everyone lost power in MA and RI. Well my town lost it for 5 days again. I'll never forget the feeling of not having electricity and the basic comforts that I had taken for granted.

Another event was when the Boston bombing happened . I remember the police and ambulances and helicopters going by. At one point there were a few helicopters above my home and I had a feeling that they were looking for the guy who did it. I thought to myself" what can I do if he comes to my house ", "what if he has a gun" I didn't care about myself but I cared about my family being put in danger. At that exact moment I decided that I would be open to owning a gun. I never wanted a gun near me before and never liked the idea of holding or operating one(and still don't) but its not about me its about my family.

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2014, 07:09:48 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I think about it here and there.

I think I've figured out my water source.  I've got some ideas about food sources. I can handle myself in one on one combat with weapons, but plan to join a gun club to work on that and archery. Wife grew up farming so if we get to see it coming I got some plans there. 

The best plan is to go over to my parents. It's more isolated with more land and a lot more water.

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2014, 07:34:12 AM »

• Ray Allen

I think I've figured out my water source.  I've got some ideas about food sources. I can handle myself in one on one combat with weapons, but plan to join a gun club to work on that and archery. Wife grew up farming so if we get to see it coming I got some plans there. 

The best plan is to go over to my parents. It's more isolated with more land and a lot more water.
Thats awesome. It sounds like you have a better chance of survival than most, given the situation.
Everyone keeps telling me archery is such a great skill to have, so eventually I am going to get both a gun and bow.
My money is tied up in selling a house so I have to wait. But it just gives me extra time to research gear and things.

Have you ever thought about getting a gas mask or anything like that?

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2014, 07:41:02 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

Thats awesome. It sounds like you have a better chance of survival than most, given the situation.
Everyone keeps telling me archery is such a great skill to have, so eventually I am going to get both a gun and bow.
My money is tied up in selling a house so I have to wait. But it just gives me extra time to research gear and things.

Have you ever thought about getting a gas mask or anything like that?
I've worn one in my lifetime, but my plan is not based on WW1 at this time. I think my money is better spent in other ways. Luckily I live only 2 miles from a hardware store and a supermarket, so if I see things coming a couple tools and seeds are on the menu.

One thing I'm nervous about is in a really bad situation I can't use the internet and look up "How to make a booby trap". You either gotta know it now or figure it out later. Sometimes I just keep a look out for books. I need to try to hunt with a friend or two or something. Just try to learn a skill a year. I'm not a hunter, woodsman, or fisher, but want to slowly work towards that.

Sometimes I just sorta use this as a thinking exercise. I think it's important to keep perspective and to remember history. Sometimes I watch the preppers show on tv just to see what they're thinking of. My favorite was the woman who was like "We have about 150 condoms so we figure we're good for like 4 or 5 days."  She has a point though.

But just thinking of history or possible scenarios I'm not too worried and I think you gotta realize the main thing is to not panic

Soviet Union collapsed. Hyper inflation......things turned out ok.

Huge tsunami. Survivors mostly survived. And that wasn't really a first world country.

Ebola...I'm horrified of it, but the Bubonic Plague didn't wipe out civilization and this time around we have modern science and the benefit of history to fight it.

Aliens from outter space....that would be bad. Not too nervous. Enjoyed the show that made the case that guerilla war is the best way to fight them. It was interesting.

One thing that was horrible was when the Roman Empire collapsed and the legions had disappeared and couldn't keep out the barbarians. But America has a huge population. I'm not sure we would have the same problem in the same way.

Now a French or Chinese style Revolution type thing where anyone with money gets their heads chopped off and there are witch hunts? Yeah I could see that. Not sure what I can do there.  Leave the country, which is why it's nice to have family in other places.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2014, 08:18:16 AM by eja117 »

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2014, 08:42:52 AM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
Out of curiosity, what'd you decide on for a water source eja?  I've long felt that's what would screw me.  A distillation device with copper tubing should be easy enough, but my closest river/body of water is a decent hike.  Also not sure I have enough wood around me.  Between retrieving the water and fuel, I don't think I'd ever be able to replace all those calories.

The biggest question is how many other people survived?  Scavenging empty houses/stores alone could probably keep you alive for years.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2014, 08:50:58 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Without Air, you die in three minutes
Without Shelter, you die in three hours in the cold
Without Water, you die in three days
Without Food, you die in three weeks.

I would get a storage of water but remember it is only good for a while and has to be replaced.   I keep like 2 gallons per person in our house as an initial store of water and maybe a case or two.   It is a poor amount if something goes bad with the water supply but we ration to about half a gallon a day.  You also have water in weird places in a dwelling that folks do not think about but if it was do or die you'd do it or croak.  The pipes have a supply of water, the toilet tanks and hot water heater, ice in the fridge, etc.   that could be tapped that most people do not even think to use.   My amount is slow, but I am not a survivalist, just ex military and believe in a little prepartion.    I would get a LIFESTRAW WATER FILTER if I was you.  That way you can use water that isn't pure like ground water or rain barrel water.

http://www.amazon.com/LifeStraw-LSPHF017-Personal-Water-Filter/dp/B006QF3TW4

Shelter, you probably have a place, so I will not touch on that.   I would get a good survival manual like the US Army Survival Manual: FM 21-7.  That is where I learned a lot of what I know.   Very handy if your in the states.  I know how to make a lean-to to last as a result of this book.

http://www.amazon.com/US-Army-Survival-Manual-21-76/dp/0967512395

Food you need, I keep a lot of canned goods and storable dry food like oats.  I have ate of lot of MREs in the US ARMY.    I do not have a the fancy packaged meals like this

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Dsporting&field-keywords=survival+food

I have some of my Army gear, like a backpack, poncho and cold weather gear that I have acquired as well as canteens etc.   ARMY NAVY Stores are a gold mine in this regard.

I have some weapons but I like simple ones, like revolvers, pump actions and bolt actions as their actions are more dependent than autoloaders.  They don't jam and if your a good shot as I am it only takes one shot to down your foe.   I have a Ruger GP 100 .357 Mag with a six inch barrel.  Rugers are over engineered and they are touch and reliable and it also shoots .38's .   I also have a Remington 870 shotgun and a few others but those would be the two I would grab if my life depended on it.   I load the shotgun with some a mix of slugs and buckshot like this buckshot-slug-buckshot-slug-slug in that order.   Buckshot spreads out and slug will knock down whatever it hits.   I use a mix because it affords me some flexibility should combat arise.   My whole family can shoot decent and I have trained them, not only for survival but for home defense,   I have lived in bear country and it was a necessity.    I would get a good knife or perhaps one of these

http://www.amazon.com/Cold-Steel-97GMS-Gladius-Machete/dp/B004MMS0PE/ref=sr_1_sc_1?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1408278626&sr=1-1-spell&keywords=coldsteer+machete

I got one for my son, he loves shows like the Walking dead.  It would be a good advantage over a knife in a fight, and could be used as a tool as well.   Do not carry it around as it would most likely violate most statutes.  Ammo would be important too, or buy a gun in a common size as I did.   .22 is common and cheap but not much stopping power, 9mm would be a safe bet, and .38s are still pretty common and the 12 gauge shotgun.  Sadly most falter in combat so your best bet is always to avoid it, although everyone seems to think they will do well, it is against most people's human nature to kill another person or place self at risk.    See this book if you do not believe me or have not seen it as I have personally.

http://www.amazon.com/Face-Battle-Study-Agincourt-Waterloo/dp/0140048979/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=undefined&sr=1-1&keywords=face+of+battle+keegan

Make sure you in shape as well.   Poorly conditioned folks are not assets when your ranging about.   Get a good first aid kit as well and backup glasses, meds if you need them.

I am not a prepper only a veteran and I am woefully unprepared but I do not lack some knowledge because of military training that I have had and penchant for reading and camping out.  I would try to get to our family farm though if all went south.   We have loads of livestock there and I think your could trust your family more than others in a crisis.  But I generally trust the government to be able to respond having worked first hand with FEMA a few times as a civilian coordinating resources.

This website will get you started, all the info you need is out there on the web, you will not survive long if you totally rely on others, as you did in your OP post request. 

http://www.family-survival-planning.com/food-storage-basics.html
« Last Edit: August 17, 2014, 08:59:55 AM by Celtics4ever »

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2014, 09:02:49 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Ebola...I'm horrified of it, but the Bubonic Plague didn't wipe out civilization and this time around we have modern science and the benefit of history to fight it.

There is a gene that protects against it.

Finally, some people may be resistant to Ebola infection entirely, if they have a mutation in a gene called NPC1. Studies show that, when researchers take cells from people with the NPC1 mutation and try to infect them with Ebola in a laboratory dish, these cells are resistant to the virus.

In European populations, about 1 in 300 to 1 in 400 people have this mutation, Gatherer said. But in some populations, this mutation is more common: in Nova Scotia, between 10 and 26 percent of people have this mutation, Gatherer said. But the frequency of this mutation in African populations is not known, he said.

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2014/08/06/how-do-people-survive-ebola/

You'd have to get to an isolated area for a pandemic IMO.

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2014, 09:28:17 AM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
I would suggest getting at least 100 lifestraws, since I assume they use some type of ceramic or charcoal filter that needs replacing.  Do they work better than pumps?  I was wondering how you cook food, suck up the water and then spit it into the pot?  I advise you to be extra careful when using it, there's a good chance someone's going to shoot you and take it if they see you bent over drinking water out of a straw defenseless.  I think I'd rather stock up on iodine or chlorine purification.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2014, 09:38:28 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
My family have this duffell bag that has been prepared for a long time now. It has the following.

4 gallons of water (4 square plastic bottles)
A blanket
Change of clothes
A utility knife
A raincoat
A lighter and a book of matches

There's 4 of it, one for each. It's kind of heavy because of the waters, but hey, when it gets from bad to worse, heavy is the last thing you'll be worrying about (according to my dad).

Also, I always carry a Swiss knife and a lighter. It's always handy. And as for the lighter, I don't smoke but I keep one. You'd never know when youd need fire, or when a beautiful woman asks you for a light.  ;)
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2014, 10:08:07 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
Everybody has got to be able to bring different talents to the table. My wife is really good at canning and making jam and whatnot.

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2014, 10:14:20 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
I have to admit that I try to keep it real too though. Yeah, I'd love to keep matches around.

But realistically I have to weigh the value of doomsday matches vs the fact that I got a kid. Kids like playing with matches. I find it equally realistic he could burn the house down.

So I got a lighter for my fire pit and I got a grill with propane. And I live close to places I can get more stuff.

One thing I'm worrying about is what the hell would be a money source. I do not think for the life or me anyone is going to get into gold again and if they do my wife has jewelry and there ya go. I'll rob the jewelry stores, which will be the most useless place in town, except that it has gold and silver and jewels.
Paper should be worthless. So what do I have to trade?

I also believe in buying stuff with extra utility in mind. For example, fire pit. People prefer to try to rob places that are unlit so if my wife wants some solar lights...that's fine.

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2014, 10:18:23 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
True story....

I'm with my wife's friends having dinner the other night and the chicks are talking and they look at me and are like "We're making our apocalypse survival team. What can you do?"

I'm like "I speak a lot of languages".  She says "Nahhh. We need something else."

Now I'm not 100% sure the deal here. Her boyfriend is all hunter blue collar guy and the other boyfriend in young and big.

I look at them and say "I'm the only male here who has reproduced. I win."

It was immediately agreed I had won. For now.

« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2014, 10:33:38 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
Some of this is a little ironic. Like solar panels. They're great. But in a Mad Max world a gang will kill you and take that house instantly. Panels would be like a huge advertisement saying "Come kill us, take our house, and eat us." The place would be a palace for a gang.

Realistically if this happens in winter I'm fudged, because even though my house is extremely well insulated and has big windows facing south....no wood stove. Parents have a wood stove. That thing is a life saver.

« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2015, 09:27:54 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
Considering the recent political polls, as well as some other developments, I really think we should revisit this thread.