Author Topic: If we were to trade Rondo to sacramento what would we want back.  (Read 40494 times)

Re: If we were to trade Rondo to sacramento what would we want back.
« Reply #90 on: August 26, 2014, 07:39:38 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
No shot, stauskas mclemore and two first round picks along with Gerald Wallace taken off our hands wouldn't even be enough for me, the greatest value in that trade would be the increase in quality of our draft pick next year.  Mclemore has done nothing, stauskas is unproven and I would not have drafted him with the 8th pick, and with rondo to the kings we wouldn't get good draft picks.  Also without rondo here were in no rush to acquire superstars like we would be if rondo was still in town, so unloading Gerald Wallace contract isn't even a priority anymore.  I really can't picture a scenario I would be happy letting go of rondo with the kings.

Agreed.  Rondo for Stauskas plus late 1st round picks is a garbage trade for the Celtics.  Sacramento alone doesn't make sense.  There would have to be a 3rd team who could give us better value.  Now if Demarcus Cousins is part of the package, I'd listen.  But I doubt that is the case.

Never ceases to amaze me how much people think Rondo is worth.
This isn't the first year of a 4 year contract- he's in his final year and unproven since injury.
At least accept that there's a huge possibility he walks as a free agent.

Demarcus Cousins? Really?

I don't want to trade Rondo but I know if we have to take that route that Stauskas+McLemore is MORE than enough for an expiring *hope to be All Star again one day* point guard.

Hilarious. Clearly you're the expert on Rondo's value here. Aside from your being generally enthralled by scouting reports on rookies, what are the chances that either of those two players every become above average starters?

That's pretty rich criticism coming from Rondos number one fanboy and secretary.

Loosely translated this means not making laughably ridiculous claims about Rondo based more on the claims of others and his play in 2008 than anything that's happened on the basketball court since 2010, or having seen enough games over the years to easily spot those claims.

« Reply #91 on: August 26, 2014, 07:49:55 AM »

Offline Irish Stew

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 56
I'll keep saying this again and again: If we are going to trade Rondo, I want a comparably talented Big back in return. I don't understand trades that involve guys like Stauskas and McLemore when we just signed Bradley to a relatively large contract and we drafted Young. We also tanked a whole season away and wound up with Smart, a point guard, so no more point guards either.

« Reply #92 on: August 26, 2014, 08:01:44 AM »

Offline Skywalker2.0

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 247
I'll keep saying this again and again: If we are going to trade Rondo, I want a comparably talented Big back in return. I don't understand trades that involve guys like Stauskas and McLemore when we just signed Bradley to a relatively large contract and we drafted Young. We also tanked a whole season away and wound up with Smart, a point guard, so no more point guards either.

Right now we are just collecting talent it doesn't matter which position but how talented a player is. Although I don't think we should trade Rondo for Sacramento's assets.

« Reply #93 on: August 26, 2014, 09:20:24 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
What do you guys think of this trade:

C's receive: Jose Caldron, Tim Hardaway Jr., Cleanthony Early, 2 firsts

C's trade: Rondo

Wouldn't surprise me if there's a similar offer at the deadline for Rondo from NY.

« Reply #94 on: August 26, 2014, 09:29:44 AM »

Offline bostonsportsforlife

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 23

Depends heavily on what the draft picks are.

Not a huge fan of that deal. Calderon's contract is something that the C's should stay far away from, THJ would be a nice add, Early is an unknown, but NY has no firsts to deal pretty much.

« Reply #95 on: August 26, 2014, 09:56:49 AM »

Offline Skywalker2.0

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 247

Depends heavily on what the draft picks are.

Not a huge fan of that deal. Calderon's contract is something that the C's should stay far away from, THJ would be a nice add, Early is an unknown, but NY has no firsts to deal pretty much.

I like this deal for the C's because I think THJ is a great young prospect and the Celtics get an extra 3 good prospects, especially if the Knicks implode.

« Reply #96 on: August 26, 2014, 10:38:28 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
Detroit - Stauskus, Green
Boston - Monroe, McLemore, Williams
Sacramento - Rondo

I think that is a reasonable trade for all 3 teams and it works financially (I used Josh Smith's 13.5 million as a place holder for Monroe).  There are enough movable players on the teams that the trade can be expanded, but that does work.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #97 on: August 26, 2014, 11:05:26 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Btw, did Monroe officially accept Detroit's QO or is he still technically a free agent?

« Reply #98 on: August 26, 2014, 11:19:36 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
No shot, stauskas mclemore and two first round picks along with Gerald Wallace taken off our hands wouldn't even be enough for me, the greatest value in that trade would be the increase in quality of our draft pick next year.  Mclemore has done nothing, stauskas is unproven and I would not have drafted him with the 8th pick, and with rondo to the kings we wouldn't get good draft picks.  Also without rondo here were in no rush to acquire superstars like we would be if rondo was still in town, so unloading Gerald Wallace contract isn't even a priority anymore.  I really can't picture a scenario I would be happy letting go of rondo with the kings.

Agreed.  Rondo for Stauskas plus late 1st round picks is a garbage trade for the Celtics.  Sacramento alone doesn't make sense.  There would have to be a 3rd team who could give us better value.  Now if Demarcus Cousins is part of the package, I'd listen.  But I doubt that is the case.

This isn't the first year of a 4 year contract- he's in his final year and unproven since injury.

I don't want to trade Rondo but I know if we have to take that route that Stauskas+McLemore is MORE than enough for an expiring *hope to be All Star again one day* point guard.

Hilarious. Clearly you're the expert on Rondo's value here. Aside from your being generally enthralled by scouting reports on rookies, what are the chances that either of those two players every become above average starters?

That's pretty rich criticism coming from Rondos number one fanboy and secretary.

Loosely translated this means not making laughably ridiculous claims about Rondo based more on the claims of others and his play in 2008 than anything that's happened on the basketball court since 2010, or having seen enough games over the years to easily spot those claims.

To say Rondo is worth two top 10 picks is laughably ridiculous huh?
  To be honest I actually respect your opinion on this board and I understand why you love Rondo. But to attack me over a suggestion that Rondo getting us Mclemore and Stauskas is anything close to a bad deal at this point in his career/contract/injury situation is completely ridiculous and once again, as most Rondo comments by you, spews your blinded stubbornness all over anything on this board with the letters RR.
 What I've said is completely logical and fair and as removed from bias as anyone on this board. Your opinion regarding Rondo is unfortunately biased to the highest level- where as you're completely logical in pretty much everything other thing you say regarding the Celtics/ NBA.

I don't get it but the joke's on you.

Still waiting to hear what Rondo's real trade value is Tim.
 Those stats were from the 2013-14 season. Who said anything about 2008?
And no, not 2009 or 2010. It's not May in 2012, It's 2014 and he's closing in on 29 years old coming off major knee surgery. Oh he's also an unrestricted free agent in about 10 months.
Give me your untainted assessment of Rajon Rondo's current trade value?
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #99 on: August 26, 2014, 12:05:02 PM »

Offline GetLucky

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 349

To be honest I actually respect your opinion on this board and I understand why you love Rondo. But to attack me over a suggestion that Rondo getting us Mclemore and Stauskas is anything close to a bad deal at this point in his career/contract/injury situation is completely ridiculous and once again, as most Rondo comments by you, spews your blinded stubbornness all over anything on this board with the letters RR.
 What I've said is completely logical and fair and as removed from bias as anyone on this board. Your opinion regarding Rondo is unfortunately biased to the highest level- where as you're completely logical in pretty much everything other thing you say regarding the Celtics/ NBA.

And no, not 2009 or 2010. It's not May in 2012, It's 2014 and he's closing in on 29 years old coming off major knee surgery. Oh he's also an unrestricted free agent in about 10 months.

I have to agree with chambers on his last point. At this moment in time, Mclemore, Stauskas, and some 1sts are about all we could get for Rondo. This is why I don't want to trade him. His value will either go up or go down (I personally think that it will go up), but if it goes down we let him walk. If it goes up we can keep him or trade him for more valuable assets than we are currently discussing.

« Reply #100 on: August 26, 2014, 01:10:08 PM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
So imho we will need to include at least one other team in this deal to get as close to fair value for RR as possible, maybe even a 4 team trade. Maybe we include CHA and get sent back Biz in the deal.

So if the Kings send us Stauskus and Mclmore and a first(plus filler) for RR I think we should accept it and include it in a bigger 4 team trade.

« Reply #101 on: August 26, 2014, 01:19:41 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
At this moment in time, Mclemore, Stauskas, and some 1sts are about all we could get for Rondo. This is why I don't want to trade him. His value will either go up or go down (I personally think that it will go up), but if it goes down we let him walk. If it goes up we can keep him or trade him for more valuable assets than we are currently discussing.

This has been my thinking too.

Put another way, I don't think Rondo's current value gets us anything in return we couldn't get with another package of our own assets (e.g., our 2015 pick, another 1st and a prospect like Bradley/Sully/KO). So, why give up our single most valuable asset when we don't have to?

But if Rondo returns at his previous peak or better and sustains it for half a season or more, then we can start using him alone or in packages for far more valuable assets. Maybe not Wiggins/Bennett type packages, but a lot closer than we can get now.

Or, his attractiveness to other stars increases dramatically and we can swing a bigger deal for one of them.

In other words, "peak Rondo" opens up options we simply don't have right now. It doesn't make sense to squander that option now.

If we never see "peak Rondo" again, fine. We can unload him to another team in need of a solid (but not superstar) PG, and continue the rebuild.

« Reply #102 on: August 26, 2014, 01:48:07 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277

For a 4 time All star and one of the best passer in the league. Yes I would want a top ten draft pick in return. I think you really are deflating Rondo's value, and Mcmelore  and mediorce prospects is not going to cut it. Rondo is the only star that they could probably retain so I think it's best to keep him or let him walk.

« Reply #103 on: August 26, 2014, 02:12:51 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469

His value may go up, and it could just as easily plummet even lower as time goes by. The unfortunate truth (to me at least) is that right now, there probably isn't much of a market for him because of his injury recovery and contract situation. If he had 2 seasons left on his deal and he'd just come back from surgery, he'd be worth waaaayyyy more, even with the injury recovery. Problem is that he's an expiring contract who's openly talked about free agency and the 'experience' of being a free agent that he wants to try. We haven't seen good old Rondo for exactly 18 months. One and a half years.
   He's 28 years and six months old on a bargain contract, approaching his prime, while our team appears to be at least 2-3 years away from being a contender. Adding stars to this roster is not going to be easy. We are one of many teams who'll be going after the free agents of Rondo's class including Rondo. ' He came back midway through last season and averaged his typical 11 to 12 points, 9.8 assists and 5.5 rebounds per game.... but was a lesser player in nearly every aspect. He shot just 40.3 percent from the field, including an abhorrent 32.7 percent outside five feet. He lost 7 percent from his jump shot conversion rate from 2012-13 to 2013-14.'

'Going further, underlying numbers indicate Rondo was even worse than the standard stats. Synergy Sports ranked him in the ninth percentile among players league-wide on a per-possession basis. He made 42.1 percent on shots out of the pick-and-roll, turning the ball over on more than 22 percent of his possessions.'

Much more distressing was Rondo's play on the defensive end, which oscillated between pretty bad and downright dreadful. Prone to fits of jumpiness and mistakes rooted in over-aggressiveness before his injury, Rondo was all over the place at times following his return. Opposing guards killed Rondo by coaxing him into poor position early in the possession and having him run right into screens on the pick-and-roll.

In his 998 minutes on the floor, the Celtics allowed 110.3 points per 100 possessions. In his 2,948 minutes on the bench, that number dropped to 103.5.

There are myriad problems with using lineup stats to judge an individual player's defensive impact, but the numbers are far from a coincidence. ESPN's DRPM metric had Rondo 361st among the 437 players ranked; he had the same defensive rating as Nick Young. His win shares per 48 minutes were the lowest of his career, per Basketball-Reference.

The injury is enormous (in a bad way), and approaching 30 years old for his next big contract, his shooting which was already questioned, has gotten worse, and his stats have gotten worse. The speculation is that he wants a max contract too. How many teams in the NBA want to pay Rondo a maximum deal after his recent half season? I'm not saying he won't get better- but we still haven't seen it, and that scares trade partners. The circumstances just aren't on the Celtics or Rondos side.

I personally believe he can come back to 90%, but he needs god players around him. He needs good shooters and good finishers to utilize his god given ability.

You're right in that this upcoming season is the chance to erase that last 6 months of playing while rehabilitating, but it's going to take a good 3-4 months for people to accept that he can be the player he once was. And by then we'll already be half way through season and he'll be closer to approaching the 'courting' of free agency that he's spoken about.

Either way Tim's got his panties in a twist as usual at the suggestion of Rondo being traded- like it's completely ridiculous to even suggest that we look at options for moving him considering the circumstances of the Celtics organization.

For this organization to come close to winning a championship with Rondo, we are going to have to get VERY lucky and two things MUST happen.

1) Rondo must AT LEAST return to his former self, or an even better overall, complete player
2) Danny Ainge must find him multiple top 15-20 NBA players to partner with him within the next 2-3 years.

He may have one in Marcus Smart, and he may have a top 25/All Star player in Sullinger, but it's going to take an incredible amount of good fortune to have even one of those must have scenarios to occur. What are the real chances of both of those things happening? Maybe 30 percent if we're being honestly generous?

If Danny decides that Rondo is part of the future I'll be stoked. I love Rondo.
But if he weighs up all his options and determines that becoming a championship team during Rondo's prime is unlikely, then I'll understand if we have to let him go.
He's not worth anything great on the trade market now, so lets hope he gets back to his former self this season, and proves that he can be a top 3 player on a championship team again.
I really hope he can.

No need to convince me that Rondo played like doggy do-do last season.  I'm in agreement there.  That's why I think his value is not particularly high right now.

I guess the debate hinges more on what the chances are of him being able to return to his pre-injury form.  As of now, that's an unknown.  My hopes are bolstered by the fact that even while playing in what Rondo clearly saw as a rehab stint last season, he still managed to put up decent numbers.

Also, he won't have the luxury of treating this coming season as another rehab stint.  He's in a contract year, and if he wants anywhere near the maximum amount of dollars for his next contract, he's going to have to go out and earn that this season. 

So, what we have is a guy who has proven in the past that he can be a great player, who's value is probably at the lowest it's been since his first couple of years in the league, who has something to prove.
This could very well be a recipe for a very good season out of Rajon Rondo.

To me, trading him right now for unproven prospects has a higher chance of not working out than holding on to him and seeing how he responds to the adversity of the last couple of seasons. 

If, indeed, it turns out that his best years are behind him, we will be able to either re-sign him in free agency at a much lower rate than the maximum, or we simply let him walk to a team that gives him a better offer.  The latter isn't the worst thing in the world.  We'd gain some cap space, and we'd continue the rebuilding. 

To me, the worst case scenario would be trading him now for a package of unproven picks and prospects only to see him come out and play like an all star for somebody else next season.  I don't want to see Danny take that risk.  I'd rather keep him and root for him to play like the top three point guard in the league that we've all seen him perform as in the past.  If he can accomplish that, then we are in a much better position moving forward, whether we ultimately end up keeping him for the long haul or trading him for much more value than we could get right now. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #104 on: August 28, 2014, 07:38:54 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.

His value may go up, and it could just as easily plummet even lower as time goes by. The unfortunate truth (to me at least) is that right now, there probably isn't much of a market for him because of his injury recovery and contract situation. If he had 2 seasons left on his deal and he'd just come back from surgery, he'd be worth waaaayyyy more, even with the injury recovery. Problem is that he's an expiring contract who's openly talked about free agency and the 'experience' of being a free agent that he wants to try. We haven't seen good old Rondo for exactly 18 months. One and a half years.
   He's 28 years and six months old on a bargain contract, approaching his prime, while our team appears to be at least 2-3 years away from being a contender. Adding stars to this roster is not going to be easy. We are one of many teams who'll be going after the free agents of Rondo's class including Rondo. ' He came back midway through last season and averaged his typical 11 to 12 points, 9.8 assists and 5.5 rebounds per game.... but was a lesser player in nearly every aspect. He shot just 40.3 percent from the field, including an abhorrent 32.7 percent outside five feet. He lost 7 percent from his jump shot conversion rate from 2012-13 to 2013-14.'

'Going further, underlying numbers indicate Rondo was even worse than the standard stats. Synergy Sports ranked him in the ninth percentile among players league-wide on a per-possession basis. He made 42.1 percent on shots out of the pick-and-roll, turning the ball over on more than 22 percent of his possessions.'

Much more distressing was Rondo's play on the defensive end, which oscillated between pretty bad and downright dreadful. Prone to fits of jumpiness and mistakes rooted in over-aggressiveness before his injury, Rondo was all over the place at times following his return. Opposing guards killed Rondo by coaxing him into poor position early in the possession and having him run right into screens on the pick-and-roll.

In his 998 minutes on the floor, the Celtics allowed 110.3 points per 100 possessions. In his 2,948 minutes on the bench, that number dropped to 103.5.

There are myriad problems with using lineup stats to judge an individual player's defensive impact, but the numbers are far from a coincidence. ESPN's DRPM metric had Rondo 361st among the 437 players ranked; he had the same defensive rating as Nick Young. His win shares per 48 minutes were the lowest of his career, per Basketball-Reference.

The injury is enormous (in a bad way), and approaching 30 years old for his next big contract, his shooting which was already questioned, has gotten worse, and his stats have gotten worse. The speculation is that he wants a max contract too. How many teams in the NBA want to pay Rondo a maximum deal after his recent half season? I'm not saying he won't get better- but we still haven't seen it, and that scares trade partners. The circumstances just aren't on the Celtics or Rondos side.

I personally believe he can come back to 90%, but he needs god players around him. He needs good shooters and good finishers to utilize his god given ability.

You're right in that this upcoming season is the chance to erase that last 6 months of playing while rehabilitating, but it's going to take a good 3-4 months for people to accept that he can be the player he once was. And by then we'll already be half way through season and he'll be closer to approaching the 'courting' of free agency that he's spoken about.

Either way Tim's got his panties in a twist as usual at the suggestion of Rondo being traded- like it's completely ridiculous to even suggest that we look at options for moving him considering the circumstances of the Celtics organization.

For this organization to come close to winning a championship with Rondo, we are going to have to get VERY lucky and two things MUST happen.

1) Rondo must AT LEAST return to his former self, or an even better overall, complete player
2) Danny Ainge must find him multiple top 15-20 NBA players to partner with him within the next 2-3 years.

He may have one in Marcus Smart, and he may have a top 25/All Star player in Sullinger, but it's going to take an incredible amount of good fortune to have even one of those must have scenarios to occur. What are the real chances of both of those things happening? Maybe 30 percent if we're being honestly generous?

If Danny decides that Rondo is part of the future I'll be stoked. I love Rondo.
But if he weighs up all his options and determines that becoming a championship team during Rondo's prime is unlikely, then I'll understand if we have to let him go.
He's not worth anything great on the trade market now, so lets hope he gets back to his former self this season, and proves that he can be a top 3 player on a championship team again.
I really hope he can.

No need to convince me that Rondo played like doggy do-do last season.  I'm in agreement there.  That's why I think his value is not particularly high right now.

I guess the debate hinges more on what the chances are of him being able to return to his pre-injury form.  As of now, that's an unknown.  My hopes are bolstered by the fact that even while playing in what Rondo clearly saw as a rehab stint last season, he still managed to put up decent numbers.

Also, he won't have the luxury of treating this coming season as another rehab stint.  He's in a contract year, and if he wants anywhere near the maximum amount of dollars for his next contract, he's going to have to go out and earn that this season. 

So, what we have is a guy who has proven in the past that he can be a great player, who's value is probably at the lowest it's been since his first couple of years in the league, who has something to prove.
This could very well be a recipe for a very good season out of Rajon Rondo.

To me, trading him right now for unproven prospects has a higher chance of not working out than holding on to him and seeing how he responds to the adversity of the last couple of seasons. 

If, indeed, it turns out that his best years are behind him, we will be able to either re-sign him in free agency at a much lower rate than the maximum, or we simply let him walk to a team that gives him a better offer.  The latter isn't the worst thing in the world.  We'd gain some cap space, and we'd continue the rebuilding. 

To me, the worst case scenario would be trading him now for a package of unproven picks and prospects only to see him come out and play like an all star for somebody else next season.  I don't want to see Danny take that risk.  I'd rather keep him and root for him to play like the top three point guard in the league that we've all seen him perform as in the past.  If he can accomplish that, then we are in a much better position moving forward, whether we ultimately end up keeping him for the long haul or trading him for much more value than we could get right now.

Very well said. TP.
I think it's likely that Ainge holds on to him and lets him increase in value considering how low his perceived value is league wide at moment. Ainge is also still figuring out if Rondo will return to being Rondo. I wonder if he puts a deadline on that decision too. ie mid season either he's gonna lead us for the next 5 years or he's not, if not, cya buddy.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.