Author Topic: If we were to trade Rondo to sacramento what would we want back.  (Read 40335 times)

Re: If we were to trade Rondo to sacramento what would we want back.
« Reply #60 on: August 19, 2014, 07:38:09 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
According to this tweet, both Celts and Sactown denying a deal is in the works.

Again, take that for what it's worth though I believe this tweet ALOT more than I believe this
T-Spence character.

Basketball Insiders@BBallInsiders

Sources close to the process in both Boston and Sacramento are adamantly denying that a Rajon Rondo deal is being discussed.

Twitter

That's such a weird way of phrasing that, since "the process" is implied to mean "the process of trading Rondo to Sacramento."   Sources working out a deal to trade Rondo to Sacramento adamantly deny that a Rondo deal to Sacramento is being discussed?  What?

Does that mean that there is another trade between the two teams happening, or do they mean the general staff below the GM on both teams deny that any trade is happening whatsoever?

The $64,000 question.

But I don't think anything is going on because the person who "broke" this rumor doesn't look very credible.

« Reply #61 on: August 19, 2014, 07:38:13 PM »

Offline TheTruthFot18

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 263
  • Truth Juice
Stauskas and filler (Ellington and Terry) and a 1st after this Ainge conversation with Rondo:

Ainge: "Look Rajon, we struck out on Love. We're gonna get the crap beat out of us by a bunch of teams this year. How about you try a year out in Cali and see if you like it...if you don't....you're a FA next year and you do like it here...."

Now we are taking a chance that Rondo may like it there or be wooed somewhere else OR, we could end up with Stauskas and a pick from Kings and our own higher first this year (because Rondo is on "vacation" in Cali) and Rondo back next year.

It's kinda like letting that chick go out and explore....and maybe she finds something better OR maybe she realizes that you are who she wants to be with.

Big gamble by Ainge, but also by Kings if Rondo doesn't give them a guarantee before the trade, which he technically can't..., but that's why they are getting him so cheep.

Also, it doesn't have to be the trade I proposed, but any trade with any team where Rondo doesn't give them a guarantee, so we would get lesser value, but maybe get Rondo back next year.

Anybody do this on either side?

Interesting thought. I can't imagine these conversations really happen though, and if they do, that they pan out like that.

Anyway, nothing short of Cousins (which won't happen anyway) is tolerable from the kings
The Nets will finish with the worst record and the Celtics will end up with the 4th pick.

- Me (sometime in January)

--------------------------------------------------------

Guess I was wrong (May 23rd)

« Reply #62 on: August 19, 2014, 07:40:12 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950

Again, take that for what it's worth though I believe this tweet ALOT more than I believe this
T-Spence character.

Sources close to the process in both Boston and Sacramento are adamantly denying that a Rajon Rondo deal is being discussed.

Twitter

That's such a weird way of phrasing that, since "the process" is implied to mean "the process of trading Rondo to Sacramento."   Sources working out a deal to trade Rondo to Sacramento adamantly deny that a Rondo deal to Sacramento is being discussed?  What?

Does that mean that there is another trade between the two teams happening, or do they mean the general staff below the GM on both teams deny that any trade is happening whatsoever?

It makes more sense when you consider that it is linked to an article on their website about the "trade process".  That article includes the line " it’s rare that all sides of something adamantly deny a trade they are working on", so it should probably be taken as a strong belief that there is no trade being discussed. 

My guess would be that there might be a non-Rondo deal under some discussion, but that Rondo isn't a serious part of it.  Maybe Sacramento occasionally asks if Ainge is ready to deal Rondo and Ainge keeps shooting them down because they can't or won't pay the high price that he demands in return for Rondo.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #63 on: August 19, 2014, 07:43:54 PM »

fitzhickey

Jason Thompson, either McLemore or Stauskas, a first round pick for next year, unprotected and a future first.

I don't know if that selling low on Rondo, but I'd be fine with it if that's the package.
I'd be on board with that if it was Stauskas.

« Reply #64 on: August 19, 2014, 07:57:08 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
Rondo has been getting traded since his rookie season so I don't pay any attention to none of these rumors
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #65 on: August 19, 2014, 10:00:46 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962

T-Spence character.

Twitter

The $64,000 question.

But I don't think anything is going on because the person who "broke" this rumor doesn't look very credible.
I think you guys are reading too much into it.  You shouldn't imply anything from, "close to the process," that's just another way of saying "in the know."
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #66 on: August 19, 2014, 11:48:25 PM »

Offline celticpride1

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 40
Rondo isnt going to SACTOWN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

« Reply #67 on: August 20, 2014, 01:33:25 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289

T-Spence character.

Twitter

It makes more sense when you consider that it is linked to an article on their website about the "trade process".  That article includes the line " it’s rare that all sides of something adamantly deny a trade they are working on", so it should probably be taken as a strong belief that there is no trade being discussed. 

My guess would be that there might be a non-Rondo deal under some discussion, but that Rondo isn't a serious part of it.  Maybe Sacramento occasionally asks if Ainge is ready to deal Rondo and Ainge keeps shooting them down because they can't or won't pay the high price that he demands in return for Rondo.

Or maybe C's are buyers trading Green and Thornton for Rudy.

« Reply #68 on: August 20, 2014, 07:55:06 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417

T-Spence character.

Twitter

Or maybe C's are buyers trading Green and Thornton for Rudy.

Doubtful, but I sure hope so.

« Reply #69 on: August 20, 2014, 12:46:16 PM »

Offline bmac934

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 7
No shot, stauskas mclemore and two first round picks along with Gerald Wallace taken off our hands wouldn't even be enough for me, the greatest value in that trade would be the increase in quality of our draft pick next year.  Mclemore has done nothing, stauskas is unproven and I would not have drafted him with the 8th pick, and with rondo to the kings we wouldn't get good draft picks.  Also without rondo here were in no rush to acquire superstars like we would be if rondo was still in town, so unloading Gerald Wallace contract isn't even a priority anymore.  I really can't picture a scenario I would be happy letting go of rondo with the kings.

« Reply #70 on: August 24, 2014, 02:19:25 AM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
No shot, stauskas mclemore and two first round picks along with Gerald Wallace taken off our hands wouldn't even be enough for me, the greatest value in that trade would be the increase in quality of our draft pick next year.  Mclemore has done nothing, stauskas is unproven and I would not have drafted him with the 8th pick, and with rondo to the kings we wouldn't get good draft picks.  Also without rondo here were in no rush to acquire superstars like we would be if rondo was still in town, so unloading Gerald Wallace contract isn't even a priority anymore.  I really can't picture a scenario I would be happy letting go of rondo with the kings.

Agreed.  Rondo for Stauskas plus late 1st round picks is a garbage trade for the Celtics.  Sacramento alone doesn't make sense.  There would have to be a 3rd team who could give us better value.  Now if Demarcus Cousins is part of the package, I'd listen.  But I doubt that is the case.

« Reply #71 on: August 24, 2014, 03:04:02 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.

Agreed.  Rondo for Stauskas plus late 1st round picks is a garbage trade for the Celtics.  Sacramento alone doesn't make sense.  There would have to be a 3rd team who could give us better value.  Now if Demarcus Cousins is part of the package, I'd listen.  But I doubt that is the case.

Never ceases to amaze me how much people think Rondo is worth.
This isn't the first year of a 4 year contract- he's in his final year and unproven since injury.
At least accept that there's a huge possibility he walks as a free agent.

Demarcus Cousins? Really?

I don't want to trade Rondo but I know if we have to take that route that Stauskas+McLemore is MORE than enough for an expiring *hope to be All Star again one day* point guard.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #72 on: August 24, 2014, 04:07:15 AM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277

This isn't the first year of a 4 year contract- he's in his final year and unproven since injury.

I don't want to trade Rondo but I know if we have to take that route that Stauskas+McLemore is MORE than enough for an expiring *hope to be All Star again one day* point guard.

I don't accept garbage and neither should you. It's amazing how fans would deflate Rondo's value in order to avoid being called a homer.

« Reply #73 on: August 24, 2014, 05:11:08 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.

I don't accept garbage and neither should you. It's amazing how fans would deflate Rondo's value in order to avoid being called a homer.

So what is fair value in your opinion then? If two top 8 draft picks isn't fair value for an expiring player that hasn't played anywhere near an All Star level for almost 2 seasons.
What isn't garbage to you?
If you could pick any player or players/picks that within reasonable value, what package would you realistically accept that another team would realistically give up?
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #74 on: August 24, 2014, 09:32:04 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950

I think there's a modest possibility that he walks as a free agent, not a huge one.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference