Author Topic: Rondo to Kings or Rockets trade ideas  (Read 22571 times)

Re: Rondo to Kings or Rockets trade ideas
« Reply #60 on: August 16, 2014, 04:27:56 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
The debate over Rondo's relative trade value now vs. later or at the trade deadline is fair because no one knows.  Rondo may play great, may get injured, may get frustrated with losing, may be about what he was last year.  What can't be debated is that the clock is ticking so to speak and a trade now gets you Rondo for the whole season but a trade at the deadline gets you Rondo for a couple of months.  All things equal, I think most teams would rather have Rondo for the whole season.  That is why I think waiting would more likely backfire than pay off.

The point of trading for a player like Rondo isn't to get him for half a season or a season, it's having him going forward on his next contract. There's a lot less value to the team in trading him as a rental. We'll get more value if we trade him if we send him somewhere he'll re-sign.

How is this going to be easy??  Which contending team also even has a young prospect like mclemore and multiple 1sts they can give up for Rondo? 

If the Kings are willing to give up Mclemore and multiple 1sts , promise of extension or not,  imo it's a deal that should be considered

McLemore isn't that exciting a prospect. Most teams probably have similar players. And it wouldn't have to be a contender now, just a team that thinks it could contend in the next 5 or so years if Rondo was added to their roster. I'd assume that plenty of teams fit that bill.

« Reply #61 on: August 16, 2014, 05:24:01 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 873
The debate over Rondo's relative trade value now vs. later or at the trade deadline is fair because no one knows.  Rondo may play great, may get injured, may get frustrated with losing, may be about what he was last year.  What can't be debated is that the clock is ticking so to speak and a trade now gets you Rondo for the whole season but a trade at the deadline gets you Rondo for a couple of months.  All things equal, I think most teams would rather have Rondo for the whole season.  That is why I think waiting would more likely backfire than pay off.

The point of trading for a player like Rondo isn't to get him for half a season or a season, it's having him going forward on his next contract. There's a lot less value to the team in trading him as a rental. We'll get more value if we trade him if we send him somewhere he'll re-sign.
Since I believe that Rondo wants his freedom, I do not believe that Rondo will agree to sign anywhere, no matter where he might get traded.  So I am not sure but I think we agree.

So he's not going to re-sign with the Celts and he's not going to re-sign with any other team? He seems a little on the young side for retirement.
He is not going to agree to resign or extend as part of a trade like Love is reported to have secretly done with Cleveland but obviously, he is going to sign with someone.  For example, if we traded him to the Lakers, they might feel they had a very good chance to resign him but they would assume that risk from us.

« Reply #62 on: August 16, 2014, 06:10:27 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

Since I believe that Rondo wants his freedom, I do not believe that Rondo will agree to sign anywhere, no matter where he might get traded.  So I am not sure but I think we agree.

So he's not going to re-sign with the Celts and he's not going to re-sign with any other team? He seems a little on the young side for retirement.
He is not going to agree to resign or extend as part of a trade like Love is reported to have secretly done with Cleveland but obviously, he is going to sign with someone.  For example, if we traded him to the Lakers, they might feel they had a very good chance to resign him but they would assume that risk from us.

That doesn't make much sense, does it? He'll be able to get a better deal from the team he's on at the end of the season and won't have to worry about how much cap space they have. I don't see how he'd be doing anything besides screwing himself over if he did what you think he will.

« Reply #63 on: August 16, 2014, 06:24:35 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley

That doesn't make much sense, does it? He'll be able to get a better deal from the team he's on at the end of the season and won't have to worry about how much cap space they have. I don't see how he'd be doing anything besides screwing himself over if he did what you think he will.

I am not sure what you are suggesting he will or will not do but what I believe is that Rondo is going to play it out to FA whether traded or not and then he is going to pick where to play based on the chance of winning, fit for his game, other teammates, things like that over who can pay the most or give him the most years.

A team like the Lakers may be more interested in trading for him if they fell that could resign him by being able to offer the most but that would be risk for them if they do trade for him with that advantage factored into their decision.

If the Celtics keep him with hopes of resigning, they can offer the most dollars and years but it does not appear that they will have the best basketball situation to offer.  If you feel that simply out bidding everyone will get Rondo them we don't agree on that.  I also don't know if that is smart for the Celtics if out bidding everyone means overpaying for Rondo.

« Reply #64 on: August 16, 2014, 08:43:23 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
To the OP, your  title should be  Rondo to Kings or Rockets trade bad ideas.  Rockets had a lot of nice pieces before they sent them elsewhere.   Kings roster is unappealing, their picks would be bad ones, if Rondo puts them over the top.  This would be a panic move.

« Reply #65 on: August 16, 2014, 09:00:33 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
Just wanted to point out a small error in the original post.

Cousins called Rondo "definitely the best point guard in the league".
Not the best "passing" pg.

« Reply #66 on: August 17, 2014, 12:42:09 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

I am not sure what you are suggesting he will or will not do but what I believe is that Rondo is going to play it out to FA whether traded or not and then he is going to pick where to play based on the chance of winning, fit for his game, other teammates, things like that over who can pay the most or give him the most years.

He'll wait until he's a FA to sign a new contract but it seems fairly unlikely that there won't be a single team in the league that he'd agree to stay with before he gets to free agency. It's true he won't just go with the highest bidder but I'm sure he'll want to end up in a good financial situation with a team that he wants to be on. If he does what you suggest he'll limit his potential suitors based on who has available cap space and limit the amount of money he can get as a free agent. It makes no sense.

« Reply #67 on: August 18, 2014, 08:12:02 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
If he does what you suggest he'll limit his potential suitors based on who has available cap space and limit the amount of money he can get as a free agent. It makes no sense.
I have to admit that I am having trouble following exactly what you disagree with.  What I am "suggesting" is that Rondo wants to take this to full unrestricted free agency no matter what.  No matter what extension he is offered.  No matter where he is traded.  I don't see how that limits anything.  He can always choose to sign back with the team he ends the season with if they offer him max money.  He can also choose to go sign with any other team he may choose after a period of courtship that he has said he is looking forward to.

If the Celtics decide to hang on to him, they of course can offer him the most money and that to some degree could make it more likely he resigns but I don't think it will help.  I think the Celtics are going to be a bad team that Rondo probably will not want to resign with.  He will have other opportunities at plenty of money where the basketball situation will be better for him.  I can't know of course but I think the risk is high that we lose him for nothing at the end of the season so I think we should trade him.

Rondo has every right to sign with the team that puts him in the best situation.  He also has a right to stick it out with the Celtics if that is what he wants to do.  The other problem that I see is that if the Celtics overpay just to get him back, that could hurt the team down the road as well.  I know everyone will have a different opinion of what "over pay" means but I don't think that Rondo can play up to a max contract for 5 years on a team that will likely be bad for the first half of the contract (at least).  I just don't see Rondo as a "carry a bad team on my shoulders" kind of player.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2014, 09:23:56 PM by Vermont Green »

« Reply #68 on: August 18, 2014, 11:47:16 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
If he does what you suggest he'll limit his potential suitors based on who has available cap space and limit the amount of money he can get as a free agent. It makes no sense.
I have to admit that I am having trouble following exactly what you disagree with.  What I am "suggesting" is that Rondo wants to take this to full unrestricted free agency no matter what.  No matter what extension he is offered.  No matter where he is traded.  I don't see how that limits anything.  He can always choose to sign back with the team he ends the season with if they offer him max money.  He can also choose to go sign with any other team he may choose after a period of courtship that he has said he is looking forward to.

Look at it this way. Rondo probably has a list of a few teams that he'd be interested in playing on during his next contract. I agree that he'd rather go to a team that he wants than a team he doesn't want even if it costs him some money, but that's not the same thing as throwing money away, which is basically what you're suggesting. He can get the most money and longest contract from the team that has his Bird rights. It only makes sense that he'd want a team that he wants to play for to have those rights so he can get a better contract. He's not going to sabotage a situation like that in order to experience having a bunch of teams he doesn't want to play for woo him.

« Reply #69 on: August 19, 2014, 12:07:19 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
None. 

There are only three guys across those teams who I would accept as a return for Rondo - Dwight Howard, James Harden and Demarcus Cousins.

Neither of those deals is happening. 

Hence no thanks, I'd rather just keep our fearless leader.

« Reply #70 on: August 19, 2014, 09:07:51 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315

How is this going to be easy??  Which contending team also even has a young prospect like mclemore and multiple 1sts they can give up for Rondo? 

If the Kings are willing to give up Mclemore and multiple 1sts , promise of extension or not,  imo it's a deal that should be considered

McLemore isn't that exciting a prospect. Most teams probably have similar players. And it wouldn't have to be a contender now, just a team that thinks it could contend in the next 5 or so years if Rondo was added to their roster. I'd assume that plenty of teams fit that bill.

The thing about McLemore is that he is still only 21. But Rondo is more likely to resign with a contending team, as well as being of more immediate value to a contending team. So it is hard to see him going to a rebuilding team unless that team (e.g., the Kings) can be expected to quickly become contenders with him.

« Reply #71 on: August 19, 2014, 09:23:50 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Another thread regarding a Rondo rumor is up and i think there is a decent chance a trade is made before the start of the season. The reasons

1. Rondo + current lineup don't mix.  The current lineup is being built with what Stevens perfers out on the floor/strategy.  If Doc was here,  Rondo would likely be here for the long term
That's just your personal POV, not a fact, regarding whether he fits.  he's a highly skilled player that will do just fine in whatever system Stevens employs.  If Stevens is a smart coach, he'll employ a system that suits the talent he has on the team.

2.  Rondo wants max/long term contract after this season but Ainge likely won't give him that. Chances of him playing like playoff Rondo for most part of the regular season is unlikely 1. Coming back from his injury and will never be 110 percent again 2. His age 3. Again not mixing well with this current lineup  and 4. We have Marcus Smart
every player wants the max.  it's another to get the max.  Rondo will get less than the max deal after this season. 
out of your 4 'reasons', only one may be legitimate and that is whether or not he's fully recovered from the injury.  the rest is BS.  he's in his 20's -- not old.  the mixing thing is just something you're making up to justify your desire to trade him.  Smart is an unproven rookie that doesn't shoot well and is not the passer/rebounder Rondo is.  Not sure why that would impact Rondo's play.

3. Rondo's value can't much better by the trade deadline. On the flipside guys like Mclemore's value could rise significantly
Rondo's value can only go up.  His current value is low because other GMs want to see him play to see if he's recovered.  if he hasn't (worst case), his trade value is what it is now.  if he's improved (which I suspect is the case), he's much more valuable to us and everyone looking to get him. 
Mclemore has nowhere to go but up.  he stunk last year.  we also have a volume of SGs right now and Mclemore would be behind all of them on the depth chart.  don't need him.

Other thoughts
1. Celtics/Kings trade rumors last season. But Sac was hesitant to give up Mclemore and Rondo would not agree to an extension. Kings with drafting Stauskus can now trade Mclemore.
of course they'd trade Mclemore, he stunk last year.  still don't want him.  the rumors are irrelevant to the discussion by the way.

2. Rumor on trade night was the Celtics and Kings had a deal which was the 6th pick for Mclemore. But nothing happened and imo its bc Smart was still available by the 6th pick. 
unsubstantiated rumor.  C's would have been idiots to make that deal.  In fact, I believe the rumor was #6 for Mclemore and #8.  Mclemore was not worth the #6 by himself.  not by a longshot.

3.  Cousins a few months ago stated he thinks Rondo is the best passing pg in the league.  He has probably been pushing the GM to get Rondo all offseason. 
many players feel Rondo is the best passer.  the fact he's not a shoot-first PG is what a lot of players like because he'll pass them the ball so they can shoot.  better chance of Cousins coming to Boston as a FA to play with Rondo than the other way around.

4. Rudy Gay gave up a chance at becoming a FA and signing with a contending team. He must of been told or promised something that made him stay. 
wild speculation on your part that he was told that information and even wilder that it somehow involves a Rondo trade.  Also, Gay isn't going to make anyone a contender. 

Trade idea
To Kings: Rondo, Babb, Johnson
To Celtics: Mclemore, Trade exception (7 million), Moreland, 2 1sts, Terry  (traded or waived)

Potential lineup
C - Zeller/ Moreland
PF - Sullinger/KO
SF - Green/Turner
SG - AB/Mclemore
PG - Smart/Pressey
That team will suck in perpetuity until the C's land a top pick that's a franchise changer since they'll always be a lottery team with that 'talent'.  also, there's no one on that roster that would draw a top FA to sign in Boston not to mention a top FA couldn't turn that group into contender.

And Danny also wants to see what the Rockets (lineup worse than last season) can offer.  Prob the best offer he can get is something like. 

To Rockets: Rondo, Babb, Johnson
To Celtics: Jones, Beverly, Trade exception (8.5m),  2 1sts

Lineup
C- Zeller/KO
PF - Sully/Jones
SF - Green/Turner
SG - AB/Smart/Turner
PG - Beverley/Smart/Pressey
another horrid trade and C's again live in the lottery until they luck into a franchise changer.

If Danny has made up his mind to trade Rondo and has these two offers on the table, which one would you take?
I'd take neither knowing that I can offer more than anyone else for Rondo's services after the season and if I find the price too high, I can work out a S&T that would be better than either of these piles of garbage. 

I also know that Rondo's not signing an extension now is the smart thing for him to do financially because he can get that extra year for more money.  that's what all the smart players do under the current CBA.  Does not mean he's leaving town whatsoever. 

« Reply #72 on: August 19, 2014, 10:06:56 AM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
Another thread regarding a Rondo rumor is up and i think there is a decent chance a trade is made before the start of the season. The reasons

1. Rondo + current lineup don't mix.  The current lineup is being built with what Stevens perfers out on the floor/strategy.  If Doc was here,  Rondo would likely be here for the long term
That's just your personal POV, not a fact, regarding whether he fits.  he's a highly skilled player that will do just fine in whatever system Stevens employs.  If Stevens is a smart coach, he'll employ a system that suits the talent he has on the team.

2.  Rondo wants max/long term contract after this season but Ainge likely won't give him that. Chances of him playing like playoff Rondo for most part of the regular season is unlikely 1. Coming back from his injury and will never be 110 percent again 2. His age 3. Again not mixing well with this current lineup  and 4. We have Marcus Smart
every player wants the max.  it's another to get the max.  Rondo will get less than the max deal after this season. 
out of your 4 'reasons', only one may be legitimate and that is whether or not he's fully recovered from the injury.  the rest is BS.  he's in his 20's -- not old.  the mixing thing is just something you're making up to justify your desire to trade him.  Smart is an unproven rookie that doesn't shoot well and is not the passer/rebounder Rondo is.  Not sure why that would impact Rondo's play.

3. Rondo's value can't much better by the trade deadline. On the flipside guys like Mclemore's value could rise significantly
Rondo's value can only go up.  His current value is low because other GMs want to see him play to see if he's recovered.  if he hasn't (worst case), his trade value is what it is now.  if he's improved (which I suspect is the case), he's much more valuable to us and everyone looking to get him. 
Mclemore has nowhere to go but up.  he stunk last year.  we also have a volume of SGs right now and Mclemore would be behind all of them on the depth chart.  don't need him.

Other thoughts
1. Celtics/Kings trade rumors last season. But Sac was hesitant to give up Mclemore and Rondo would not agree to an extension. Kings with drafting Stauskus can now trade Mclemore.
of course they'd trade Mclemore, he stunk last year.  still don't want him.  the rumors are irrelevant to the discussion by the way.

2. Rumor on trade night was the Celtics and Kings had a deal which was the 6th pick for Mclemore. But nothing happened and imo its bc Smart was still available by the 6th pick. 
unsubstantiated rumor.  C's would have been idiots to make that deal.  In fact, I believe the rumor was #6 for Mclemore and #8.  Mclemore was not worth the #6 by himself.  not by a longshot.

3.  Cousins a few months ago stated he thinks Rondo is the best passing pg in the league.  He has probably been pushing the GM to get Rondo all offseason. 
many players feel Rondo is the best passer.  the fact he's not a shoot-first PG is what a lot of players like because he'll pass them the ball so they can shoot.  better chance of Cousins coming to Boston as a FA to play with Rondo than the other way around.

4. Rudy Gay gave up a chance at becoming a FA and signing with a contending team. He must of been told or promised something that made him stay. 
wild speculation on your part that he was told that information and even wilder that it somehow involves a Rondo trade.  Also, Gay isn't going to make anyone a contender. 

Trade idea
To Celtics: Mclemore, Trade exception (7 million), Moreland, 2 1sts, Terry  (traded or waived)

Potential lineup
C - Zeller/ Moreland
PF - Sullinger/KO
SF - Green/Turner
SG - AB/Mclemore
PG - Smart/Pressey
That team will suck in perpetuity until the C's land a top pick that's a franchise changer since they'll always be a lottery team with that 'talent'.  also, there's no one on that roster that would draw a top FA to sign in Boston not to mention a top FA couldn't turn that group into contender.

And Danny also wants to see what the Rockets (lineup worse than last season) can offer.  Prob the best offer he can get is something like. 

Lineup
C- Zeller/KO
PF - Sully/Jones
SF - Green/Turner
SG - AB/Smart/Turner
another horrid trade and C's again live in the lottery until they luck into a franchise changer.

If Danny has made up his mind to trade Rondo and has these two offers on the table, which one would you take?
I'd take neither knowing that I can offer more than anyone else for Rondo's services after the season and if I find the price too high, I can work out a S&T that would be better than either of these piles of garbage. 

I also know that Rondo's not signing an extension now is the smart thing for him to do financially because he can get that extra year for more money.  that's what all the smart players do under the current CBA.  Does not mean he's leaving town whatsoever.
A lot of people are overlooking this player, which I can somewhat understand, but do not agree with......James Young, you know the guy we just drafted, well he plays sg (yes he's more of a sg than sf but he has the length for both). Anyways I truly do not believe that Mclemore is better than James Young. James was a true freshman while Benny redshirted . Also James put up almost the same numbers on a far better and more competitive team.

I just don't see the reason for trading Rondo to get Mclemore. At this point I do not believe anything except a 3-4-5 team trade is best for us if we deal Rondo.

Like so many have said, these trades just are not cutting it. Mclemore/ Stauskus are prospects but they are not the prospects we need right now. We need prospects at center and one for sf. Teams are not just handing out Gainis's and Drummond's, so we have to take a risk:
(I would be happy with 2 of these 3)
Bismac Biyumbo
Rudy Gobert
Bruno Caboclo(7'7'' wingspan)(watch him play in SL and then comment)

People might think thats cray but I think its a hell of a lot better than getting Mclemore plus picks and filler. Even if we need to include others, with those 3 at least it would make a dif on our roster. I couldn't fault Ainge for trying.

Marcus Smart
James Young
Bruno Caboclo
Karl Towns Jr
Rudy Gobert/Bismac Biyombo
(edit:I;m not saying this will be our starting lineup right away)
With this team we could have the #1 defense in the league.  That team would be very well balanced between defense and offense. It would be impossible for other teams to get easy buckets down low and with having Biz and Gobert at center, we could have 2 guys that average 2+ blocks a game on the same team; and thats not counting Karl Towns and Bruno.

I have to admit this is a dream for me.  This has to be the longest team is history.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 10:23:46 AM by Future Celtics Owner »

« Reply #73 on: August 19, 2014, 10:34:43 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

Other thoughts

Trade idea

Potential lineup
C - Zeller/ Moreland
PF - Sullinger/KO
SF - Green/Turner
SG - AB/Mclemore
PG - Smart/Pressey

Lineup
C- Zeller/KO
PF - Sully/Jones
SF - Green/Turner
SG - AB/Smart/Turner

A lot of people are overlooking this player, which I can somewhat understand, but do not agree with......James Young, you know the guy we just drafted, well he plays sg (yes he's more of a sg than sf but he has the length for both). Anyways I truly do not believe that Mclemore is better than James Young. James was a true freshman while Benny redshirted . Also James put up almost the same numbers on a far better and more competitive team.

I just don't see the reason for trading Rondo to get Mclemore. At this point I do not believe anything except a 3-4-5 team trade is best for us if we deal Rondo.

Like so many have said, these trades just are not cutting it. Mclemore/ Stauskus are prospects but they are not the prospects we need right now. We need prospects at center and one for sf. Teams are not just handing out Gainis's and Drummond's, so we have to take a risk:
(I would be happy with 2 of these 3)
Bismac Biyumbo
Rudy Gobert
Bruno Caboclo(7'7'' wingspan)(watch him play in SL and then comment)

People might think thats cray but I think its a hell of a lot better than getting Mclemore plus picks and filler. Even if we need to include others, with those 3 at least it would make a dif on our roster. I couldn't fault Ainge for trying.

Marcus Smart
James Young
Bruno Caboclo
Karl Towns Jr
Rudy Gobert/Bismac Biyombo
(edit:I;m not saying this will be our starting lineup right away)
With this team we could have the #1 defense in the league.  That team would be very well balanced between defense and offense. It would be impossible for other teams to get easy buckets down low and with having Biz and Gobert at center, we could have 2 guys that average 2+ blocks a game on the same team; and thats not counting Karl Towns and Bruno.

I have to admit this is a dream for me.  This has to be the longest team is history.
I wouldn't trade Rondo for any of those 3.  one's been around a few years and is still a project at best.  One is falling behind in the Utah rotation and the other one is rookie who's at best a several-year project before he becomes even a back-up quality center.

keep Rondo.  we'll still stink next year but figure to have a high pick and can get a much better bigman prospect in next year's draft.  We'll end up shedding Bass, Anthony, Green (fully expect him to opt out) and Fav if he doesn't cut it this year.  C's will be in a much better situation with prospects, picks and Wallace will now be an expiring deal that can be used as trade filler in a deal for a very good player.

« Reply #74 on: August 19, 2014, 10:48:56 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Having room/money to spend is somethimg but it also might mean little to nothing in the end. Look at laker this past offseason. Do you see any big names signing with them?

Rondo is also not a guy that is going have other key players lineup to play for the celts.