Author Topic: Rondo to Kings or Rockets trade ideas  (Read 22499 times)

Re: Rondo to Kings or Rockets trade ideas
« Reply #45 on: August 16, 2014, 02:27:30 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 868
The debate over Rondo's relative trade value now vs. later or at the trade deadline is fair because no one knows.  Rondo may play great, may get injured, may get frustrated with losing, may be about what he was last year.  What can't be debated is that the clock is ticking so to speak and a trade now gets you Rondo for the whole season but a trade at the deadline gets you Rondo for a couple of months.  All things equal, I think most teams would rather have Rondo for the whole season.  That is why I think waiting would more likely backfire than pay off.

In terms of probability that he resigns with us, that is also a fair debate.  Right now, Rondo could sign for 3 more years on top of this year for a contract that would result in 4 years/$57M (that is assuming the maximum allowable extension has been offered by the Celtics).  Since that deal has not been made, it is fair to assume Rondo is looking for more years or more money.  I actually don't think it is about money.  I think Rondo wants control and the ability to choose where he plays and who he plays with.  I don't think he will decide based on money.

It appears that the Celtics are going to be a bad, young, mis-matched team.  Why would Rondo want to resign here if max money/years is not his primary concern?  If Rondo was committed to the Celtics either out of loyalty or "accept the challenge" mentality, he would take the extension.  The franchise simply cannot afford the risk to roll the dice and let Rondo play out his contract and then walk.

Call it a rock and a hard place or what ever you want but I hope the team faces the reality and does what they need to do.  Rondo is a good player and you can hold out hope that he will resign without us over paying, that we then are able to pull off another couple of miracle trades of picks and parts for all stars, then attract a couple of fill in the blank FA, and presto, we are right back in the hunt.  Swing and miss on that though and we set the franchise back years.

« Reply #46 on: August 16, 2014, 02:52:55 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
The debate over Rondo's relative trade value now vs. later or at the trade deadline is fair because no one knows.  Rondo may play great, may get injured, may get frustrated with losing, may be about what he was last year.  What can't be debated is that the clock is ticking so to speak and a trade now gets you Rondo for the whole season but a trade at the deadline gets you Rondo for a couple of months.  All things equal, I think most teams would rather have Rondo for the whole season.  That is why I think waiting would more likely backfire than pay off.

In terms of probability that he resigns with us, that is also a fair debate.  Right now, Rondo could sign for 3 more years on top of this year for a contract that would result in 4 years/$57M (that is assuming the maximum allowable extension has been offered by the Celtics).  Since that deal has not been made, it is fair to assume Rondo is looking for more years or more money.  I actually don't think it is about money.  I think Rondo wants control and the ability to choose where he plays and who he plays with.  I don't think he will decide based on money.

It appears that the Celtics are going to be a bad, young, mis-matched team.  Why would Rondo want to resign here if max money/years is not his primary concern?  If Rondo was committed to the Celtics either out of loyalty or "accept the challenge" mentality, he would take the extension.  The franchise simply cannot afford the risk to roll the dice and let Rondo play out his contract and then walk.

Call it a rock and a hard place or what ever you want but I hope the team faces the reality and does what they need to do.  Rondo is a good player and you can hold out hope that he will resign without us over paying, that we then are able to pull off another couple of miracle trades of picks and parts for all stars, then attract a couple of fill in the blank FA, and presto, we are right back in the hunt.  Swing and miss on that though and we set the franchise back years.

unlike some Rondo fanatics here (It's cool if your a fanatic), you got a real grasp of what is going on. Especially the part i highlighted above. 

These fans imo want to drag this out to the point Rondo will be here for the long term. That is maybe the only thing they want , otherwise give us the world for him.    This is a longshot

Expecting Rondo will dish out near triple doubles on a regular basis with this lineup is a fantasy.  Getting more value when another team can get him for a season vs only a few months is reality.  The clock is ticking

« Reply #47 on: August 16, 2014, 02:56:58 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065

I've been trying to think through the possibilities and IMO it makes sense for Danny to wait. I see three scenarios as we hit the deadline this year:
1. Rondo returns at his previous peak or better - All-Defense, triple-double threat, capable of being the best player on the floor in a deep playoff series...a top 20 player.
2. Rondo returns at borderline All-Star level but a shade off his previous peak...still a very good player but not someone who can really swing the fortunes of a team on his own.
3. Rondo never gets any better than the player we saw last year, or is actually worse.

I think in scenario 2 Danny must move him - he's far more valuable to a contender needing another good player. In scenario 3 I think we also move him - that version of Rondo doesn't fit on a rebuilding team, even though we will probably get peanuts in return.

It's scenario 1 that's intriguing. I think in that case the best move is to keep Rondo, re-sign him in short order and start swapping assets for other All-Stars.

But I don't see any reason for Danny to rush into a trade now. And I think it will help Smart's development to get at least half a season coming off the bench and/or having Rondo as a mentor.

« Reply #48 on: August 16, 2014, 03:06:59 PM »

Offline AngryAndIrritable

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 29
The problem is that the position which Rondo plays is a position at which the league has an embarrassment of riches at the moment. Too many teams have options at PG that are a combination of the following factors: cheaper, younger, better.

There is no value in trading Rondo for McLemore (who had an excreable first season - can one of his boosters please explain what he would bring apart from more logs for the logjam at guard?) and the spare change down the back of Sacramento or Houston's front office couch.

In addition to this is the problem that the team that receives him will almost certainly want reassurances that he will re-sign when his contract is up.

Unless an offer comes in which will make us better in the short or medium term, it would be better to wait and see how the season pans out.

« Reply #49 on: August 16, 2014, 03:08:59 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

I've been trying to think through the possibilities and IMO it makes sense for Danny to wait. I see three scenarios as we hit the deadline this year:
1. Rondo returns at his previous peak or better - All-Defense, triple-double threat, capable of being the best player on the floor in a deep playoff series...a top 20 player.
2. Rondo returns at borderline All-Star level but a shade off his previous peak...still a very good player but not someone who can really swing the fortunes of a team on his own.
3. Rondo never gets any better than the player we saw last year, or is actually worse.

I think in scenario 2 Danny must move him - he's far more valuable to a contender needing another good player. In scenario 3 I think we also move him - that version of Rondo doesn't fit on a rebuilding team, even though we will probably get peanuts in return.

It's scenario 1 that's intriguing. I think in that case the best move is to keep Rondo, re-sign him in short order and start swapping assets for other All-Stars.

But I don't see any reason for Danny to rush into a trade now. And I think it will help Smart's development to get at least half a season coming off the bench and/or having Rondo as a mentor.

The chance 1. happens is slim to none.  1st he doesn't have KG/PP/Allen . He doesn't have as much open space to operate.  2. He is coming back from a major injury and likely will never be 100 percent again.  In addition add that he is not the youngest guy now

So with this said,  the likely possibilities are 2 and 3.  His 2. 3. value is already what it is today.  It might improve slightly by the trade deadline, but then again his value also decreases on the other side of the spectrum bc teams can only have him for a few months. 

Danny could hold rondo in hopes that by the trade deadline he could some major help, but since Danny has been a gm when was the last time he made a major move at the trade deadline?? especially give up 1sts and multiple assets for a rental?

Like Vermont said, hoping Rondo stays after this season is slim. He can play for a team guaranteed to make the playoffs. He doesn't have to go through criticism and deal with the media. 

« Reply #50 on: August 16, 2014, 03:16:26 PM »

Offline Nef-Oracle

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 5
The idea of trading Rondo to sac is the best imo. It gives more playing time to Smart.

« Reply #51 on: August 16, 2014, 03:17:26 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950

I disagree.  The potential reward of holding on to Rondo and re-signing him next summer is so high that the franchise has to take the risk that he might play out his contract and leave.

If Rondo wants to remain a Celtic, it is still the financially prudent thing for him to wait a year instead of signing an extension.  If he wants a no-trade clause, he has to wait.  If he isn't actually concerned about the money, but does want a longer deal, he has to wait.  If he wants to make sure that he isn't being taken for granted, he should wait.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #52 on: August 16, 2014, 03:23:15 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

The point of trading for a player like Rondo isn't to get him for half a season or a season, it's having him going forward on his next contract. There's a lot less value to the team in trading him as a rental. We'll get more value if we trade him if we send him somewhere he'll re-sign.

I don't think that Rondo being loyal to the team means that he needs to take a below market short term contract.

« Reply #53 on: August 16, 2014, 03:36:35 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

The chance 1. happens is slim to none.  1st he doesn't have KG/PP/Allen . He doesn't have as much open space to operate.  2. He is coming back from a major injury and likely will never be 100 percent again.  In addition add that he is not the youngest guy now

The chance 1. happens is better than average. He's obviously a triple double threat, he didn't have much trouble getting assists, open jumpers or getting to the rim last year so "he doesn't have much space to operate" isn't very realistic. His comeback from injury has pretty much gone as well as could realistically be expected. In addition, he's still in the earlier stages of his prime.

« Reply #54 on: August 16, 2014, 03:37:33 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

The point of trading for a player like Rondo isn't to get him for half a season or a season, it's having him going forward on his next contract. There's a lot less value to the team in trading him as a rental. We'll get more value if we trade him if we send him somewhere he'll re-sign.

How is this going to be easy??  Which contending team also even has a young prospect like mclemore and multiple 1sts they can give up for Rondo? 

If the Kings are willing to give up Mclemore and multiple 1sts , promise of extension or not,  imo it's a deal that should be considered

« Reply #55 on: August 16, 2014, 03:41:49 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley

I disagree.  The potential reward of holding on to Rondo and re-signing him next summer is so high that the franchise has to take the risk that he might play out his contract and leave.

If Rondo wants to remain a Celtic, it is still the financially prudent thing for him to wait a year instead of signing an extension.  If he wants a no-trade clause, he has to wait.  If he isn't actually concerned about the money, but does want a longer deal, he has to wait.  If he wants to make sure that he isn't being taken for granted, he should wait.

Good honest debate all around.

To this point, Rondo does take on some risk by waiting.  Risk of injury, risk of his perceived contribution being pulled down by a young, poorly constructed team, and maybe some others too.  I honestly believe that if he had made up his mind that he wants to stay with the Celtics, that what they can offer in $$ and years right now would be enough.  I believe that the reason he is willing to take the risk of playing out his contract is that he wants the freedom and control to go where he wants and play with who he wants.  He is not doing this for another year or for the several million $$ (in my opinion).

« Reply #56 on: August 16, 2014, 03:50:36 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley

Since I believe that Rondo wants his freedom, I do not believe that Rondo will agree to sign anywhere, no matter where he might get traded.  So I am not sure but I think we agree.

« Reply #57 on: August 16, 2014, 03:55:18 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley

I don't think that Rondo being loyal to the team means that he needs to take a below market short term contract.
I think 4 years $57M is close enough to what he could get that he would take it like Parker did in SA if he had made up his mind to stay in Boston, vs. playing it out and taking all the risks that come with that.  I don't feel it is disloyal for Rondo for wanting to be a FA.  NBA careers are short, he needs to make the best of it for himself.  I begrudge him nothing.

« Reply #58 on: August 16, 2014, 04:23:23 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

Since I believe that Rondo wants his freedom, I do not believe that Rondo will agree to sign anywhere, no matter where he might get traded.  So I am not sure but I think we agree.

So he's not going to re-sign with the Celts and he's not going to re-sign with any other team? He seems a little on the young side for retirement.

« Reply #59 on: August 16, 2014, 04:25:20 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

I think 4 years $57M is close enough to what he could get that he would take it like Parker did in SA if he had made up his mind to stay in Boston, vs. playing it out and taking all the risks that come with that.  I don't feel it is disloyal for Rondo for wanting to be a FA.  NBA careers are short, he needs to make the best of it for himself.  I begrudge him nothing.

Parker's 4 years older than him. That makes more of a difference than you might imagine.