Author Topic: Rondo to Kings or Rockets trade ideas  (Read 22500 times)

Re: Rondo to Kings or Rockets trade ideas
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2014, 12:03:23 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
If we got Stauskus and 2 firsts from Sac then I would think of doing it. Mostly bc I don't think Sac will be in the playoffs and could actually bomb this season even with Rondo. Also I like Stauskus especially with his insane 3point shooting.

I don't mind either Stauskus or Mclemore but the kings likely will keep Stauskus.  He is a better ball handler, shooter and has a slightly higher iq.  Mclemore has not worked with Cousins/Gay as good as the Kings would of liked.   Could do better with Stevens and the Celtics. Having AB taking care of the defense and Mclemore bringing on the offense could be tough to handle for any opposing sgs

« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2014, 12:05:11 AM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
You seem to fault Rondo for wanting to wait to sign a new contract, instead of extending his current one.

There's no reason why Ainge and Rondo can't mutually find a new contract beneficial to both parties.

I get you want to send Rondo out of town on a rail. Not all of us feel that way.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2014, 12:08:05 AM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
Also, people should know that Sacramento owes Chicago a 2015 1st rounder (as I brought up in the other thread).

Meaning the earliest 1st round pick the Celtics could see from the Kings would be a 2017 1st.

« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2014, 12:15:18 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
You seem to fault Rondo for wanting to wait to sign a new contract, instead of extending his current one.

There's no reason why Ainge and Rondo can't mutually find a new contract beneficial to both parties.

I get you want to send Rondo out of town on a rail. Not all of us feel that way.

What do you think Ainge wants??

« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2014, 12:18:45 AM »

Offline GetLucky

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 349
But again what are the odds of keeping Rondo for the long term??  If we don't make moves to add all stars, you can't maximize his top skills (assists, steals).

Mclemore like you said is on his way to becoming a starter in this league + the 2015-2016 Kings pick (might still not make the playoffs out of the tough West) and our own pick risng.   Also, you lose Rondo but you get to accelerate Smart's growth.  He has been only getting praises left and right  and on his way to make team USA team eventually.

What I was trying to present was this: Maybe getting a tangible plalyer for the coming years in anticipation of Rondo leaving is not an advantagious move.

All of the reasoning you used to support a Rondo trade can be used to oppose the aquisition of Mclemore. Positional redundancy, blocking development, all of this could go the other way. (Mclemore could block Smart, Avery would have to sit if not, and your $9 million man is on the bench,  Mclemore would probably slot behind Smart and Bradley at this point, etc.) A positional redundancy would occur if Mclemore becomes starter-caliber, as Avery is also a starting-caliber SG, and we just signed him to a long term deal. If he doesn't become better than Avery, we have another guy to contend with the Evan Turners and Phil Presseys of the world, only he has a guaranteed contract (if we pick up his 2yr option, which is likely the front office would do for no other reason than to avoid the public shame from the trade that they would get if they immediately let Mclemore walk). If he becomes starting-caliber and shows PG skills (which he hasn't flashed to this point), he blocks Smart. Mclemore is just as likely to become a superstar as Rondo is, but the downside is a little lower than Rondo. If Rondo stinks, we get a better draft pick and he walks, giving us cap space while also solving the redundancy issue. If Rondo is back to old form (above-average but hasn't shown he can carry a team consistently), his trade value goes up and we can get a better haul. If Rondo becomes a bona fide superstar we go into an upwards trajectory and never look back. Even the "fit" argument could be used against your side because Mclemore was lower efficiency from Rondo in the field, his only advantage being in 3pt shooting, which was by 3%. At the rate Mclemore shoots threes, that equates to roughly 36 points per season compared to what he would've had if he shot Rondo's percentage. He was absolutely horrific everywhere else, but I don't want to focus on the minutia (shooting percentage) while losing sight of the big picture. Even if Rondo does walk, it will better prepare Smart to step into the starting role next year. No one gets hurt by sitting behind a veteran for just one year.

Overall, I don't disagree that trading Rondo could wind up being the C's best option, but trading Rondo for Mclemore doesn't make sense.

Edit: Lucky17 also points out in another thread that the Kings owe their 2015 pick to Chicago, rendering all of their 1sts up until 2017 untradable. TP to him for that info.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2014, 12:25:37 AM by GetLucky »

« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2014, 12:20:46 AM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White

What do you think Ainge wants??

What's best for the Celtics.

That might mean keeping Rondo, and it might mean trading Rondo.

But I doubt it means trading Rondo for McLemore and two 1st rounders at the end of the current decade.

« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2014, 01:15:27 AM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
McLemore sucked in his first summer league, had historically bad numbers as a rookie, was an average player in his second summer league (which isn't good for a sophomore), has been in trade rumors since mid-year, had his replacement drafted after one season, can't shoot, dribble, defend, sucks at pretty much everything, etc. but he's not dead yet, so he must have potential.

If he's in the deal, it's a dump for the Kings.  The value is in the picks.

« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2014, 01:20:52 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
McLemore sucked in his first summer league, had historically bad numbers as a rookie, was an average player in his second summer league (which isn't good for a sophomore), has been in trade rumors since mid-year, had his replacement drafted after one season, can't shoot, dribble, defend, sucks at pretty much everything, etc. but he's not dead yet, so he must have potential.

You know he is really young still right?  1993 born

« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2014, 01:30:02 AM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501

\

He's young and he sucks.

« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2014, 01:32:31 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

\

He's young and he sucks.

Lol . seriously? You know who sucks? Keith bogans.
Mclemore does not suck

« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2014, 01:52:07 AM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
Mclemore wasn't a true freshman when he broke the freshman scoring record at Kansas right?

When he was drafted I was very intrigued by him. Seems like he had a hard time playing on the kings until the end of the season.

I just feel that if we are giving up Rondo then the Kings have to let us pick between Maclmore and Stauskus. And according to reports it could be either, although I'd prefer Nick.

« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2014, 04:10:33 AM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 379
Can we Please Stop with this Rondo to Kings garbage--?

Aint gonna happen--they got nothing...Mclemore is a Total STIFF...Danny Ainge did not trade Rondo for Gasol a few years back---he aint gonna trade him for a Complete NBA Bust.

I know it's been a long summer...but c'mon.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2014, 05:00:01 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Ainge offered an extension (max money). Rondo rejected the offer bc he wants at least a longer deal.

Of course. Why would any player in the NBA accept the extension of a current contract when they could accept a new contract worth tens of millions of dollars more a year or two later?

Exactly. He is going to want Max money and years.    But why would Danny give it to him unless he plays out of his mind?  He will have no problem giving Rondo 13-14 million dollars for three years. Rondo is not taking that.

You're not getting this. Danny offered Rondo an *extension*, where he extends Rondo's current contract. The "maximum" part is the highest allowable raises *on his old salary*. That's not the same thing as offering him a max contract. Saying Rondo turned down a max contract is like saying we signed Sheed or JO to max contracts because we gave them the highest contracts we could, full MLE deals.

« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2014, 10:09:05 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Rockets best assets are gone, I do not see him going there.  McLemore can't shoot and their other assets besides NS are poor.   

It must be a blog rule that we have to have 3-5 absurd trades posted a day on the blog.   Do random people get a random message to post this crap or be banished?  JK.   Usually, it is the same blokes.

« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2014, 10:10:41 AM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
Man revisiting this trade just make me wish we could have worked out the original deal of Isiah Thomas (resigned by matching Phoenix's bid for him), Mclemore, Thompson a 2014 First and a 2015 first.

We still could have drafted Smart but let AB walk for Isiah, With the eighth pick we could have drafted Noah Vonleh. Having another first to work with in next year's center heavy draft would be pretty excellent as well.

The way this team is currently constructed I don't really see any way we can work it out without a 3rd team. Even Thompson is less attractive as a piece now that we have Zeller.