Author Topic: 2014 Fantasy Football General Advice/Commentary Thread  (Read 20410 times)

Re: Fantasy Football Question
« Reply #45 on: August 28, 2014, 11:30:23 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
Is there a cost associated with the keepers?

None. I'm think Wallace because of Moreno taking time from Miller.
I would keep Wallace, I think in that offense they throw the ball to him a lot and he has career reception numbers (similar to Jackson with the same Offensive coordinator last year)

Teams 2 and 3 for me.

14 Team League - .7 ppr, 5 passing, pretty standard
QB - Romo
RB - Peterson
RB/WR - Morris, Gerhart
WR/TE - Maclin, Pitta
TE - Gronkowski
Def - Ravens
K - Tucker

Bench
RB - Pierce, Hill (cin)
WR - Amendola, Hurns
TE - Wright

12 Team league - 1 ppr, lots of bonuses for long TD's and yards
QB - Romo
RB - Lacy, Foster
WR - VJax, Cruz
TE - Olsen
Flex - Wallace
Def - New England
K - Tucker

Bench
RB - Gerhart, Pierce, Stewart
WR - S. Smith (bal), Boykin, Gordon (draft obviously before suspension)
Not sure how I feel about the weird positions in your first league. How can a league allow people to field a lineup without a receiver?

I'm a big Cruz fan but I'm not sure he's the same player he was before injury and the entire Giants offense scares me. Love the second teams backfield and I think the New England defense might end the year as the best in the league.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #46 on: August 28, 2014, 01:05:50 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1532
Is there a cost associated with the keepers?

None. I'm think Wallace because of Moreno taking time from Miller.
I would keep Wallace, I think in that offense they throw the ball to him a lot and he has career reception numbers (similar to Jackson with the same Offensive coordinator last year)

Teams 2 and 3 for me.

14 Team League - .7 ppr, 5 passing, pretty standard
QB - Romo
RB - Peterson
RB/WR - Morris, Gerhart
WR/TE - Maclin, Pitta
TE - Gronkowski
Def - Ravens
K - Tucker

Bench
RB - Pierce, Hill (cin)
WR - Amendola, Hurns
TE - Wright

12 Team league - 1 ppr, lots of bonuses for long TD's and yards
QB - Romo
RB - Lacy, Foster
WR - VJax, Cruz
TE - Olsen
Flex - Wallace
Def - New England
K - Tucker

Bench
RB - Gerhart, Pierce, Stewart
WR - S. Smith (bal), Boykin, Gordon (draft obviously before suspension)
Not sure how I feel about the weird positions in your first league. How can a league allow people to field a lineup without a receiver?

I'm a big Cruz fan but I'm not sure he's the same player he was before injury and the entire Giants offense scares me. Love the second teams backfield and I think the New England defense might end the year as the best in the league.
In a 14 team league you tend to need a bit more roster flexibility, which is what happens.  And sure you don't have to field a WR, but that means 3 RB's and 3 TE's, that is a bit tough especially after the injuries and byes come.  In years past I've actually generally gone with 4 WR's and 1 RB and 1 TE.  I got a lot more RB depth this year, because last year the injuries killed me at that position and as a result my WR's aren't exactly a whos who (though I do think all 3 could be very good with health and the right breaks).  Definitely a weak spot, but I think I'm pretty solid in the starting lineup (of course week 10 and 11 I have a major bye issue).
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #47 on: August 28, 2014, 01:08:15 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1532

If you could only choose 3 keepers from this list of players, who would they be?
If you have to keep 3 I think Wallace is your best bet as the third (rodgers and marshall are no brainers if there is no round associated), but I would only keep 2 if possible and just start picking a round earlier.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 02:03:35 PM by Moranis »
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Re: 2014 Fantasy Football General Advice/Commentary Thread
« Reply #48 on: September 01, 2014, 09:24:23 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Finally drafted my big money league. I studied as hard for this draft as I ever did for any exam.

16 Teams, 15 rounds, full pt PPR, keeper league where you can only keep 2 guys
1 QB, 3 WRs, 2 RBs, 1 TE, DST, 2 IDP's

Keepers: Montee Ball (cost me pick #29), Keenan Allen (cost me pick #124)

QBs: Colin Kapernick, Jake Locker
-Reached on Kapernick earlier than I wanted but I didn't like any of the options at WR or RB. Oddly I'm happier to have landed Locker in the 12th. I'm a believer in Locker's ability, just not his durability. Kapernick is more of a safe bet. Glad I waited on QB though, was going to grab Cam in the 3rd but happy I didn't now.

WRs: Keenan Allen, Percy Harvin, Bradin Cooks, Justin Hunter, Robert Woods
-Freaking Percy Harvin. WHY, WHY, WHY?! Marques Colston would've looked so much better there. But I hated his value vs ADP, and Harvin was slipping. In a keeper league like this where so many top WRs are already gone before the draft starts, I swung for the fences in the 3rd. After that it went Cooks in the 4th, Hunter in the 5th. I like the upside of all my receivers, but so much risks taken there. Dumb.

RBs: Matt Forte, Montee Ball, James White, Latavius Murray
-I am banking on Forte and Ball both being top-5 RBs. I can suffer some fliers crash and burning but I can't have these guys under perform. White and Murray could both be keepers for me next year, but we'll see how things play out.

TE's: Jordan Reed, Ladarius Green
-More upside plays here. Reed is the most likely to gain top-5 TE status, Green is an outside shot and a good chance of being a keeper next yr, since I didn't take him until the 9th rd.
Kicker: Nick Folk
-Don't care

DST: Detroit
-This was infuriating. I was deciding between Kenbrell Thompkins and Aaron Dobson. Bam, auto pick. [dang].

Defensive players: None selected
-We get to start 2, cans combined they can give us, if we're smart, 10 points a week. But I think this position is so deep, and I'm projected for around 110 pts which I expect to exceed, I'm gonna wait to see how my guys do first and just go without.

Thoughts?

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #49 on: September 01, 2014, 09:29:57 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
Finally drafted my big money league. I studied as hard for this draft as I ever did for any exam.

16 Teams, 15 rounds, full pt PPR, keeper league where you can only keep 2 guys
1 QB, 3 WRs, 2 RBs, 1 TE, DST, 2 IDP's

Keepers: Montee Ball (cost me pick #29), Keenan Allen (cost me pick #124)

QBs: Colin Kapernick, Jake Locker
-Reached on Kapernick earlier than I wanted but I didn't like any of the options at WR or RB. Oddly I'm happier to have landed Locker in the 12th. I'm a believer in Locker's ability, just not his durability. Kapernick is more of a safe bet. Glad I waited on QB though, was going to grab Cam in the 3rd but happy I didn't now.

WRs: Keenan Allen, Percy Harvin, Bradin Cooks, Justin Hunter, Robert Woods
-Freaking Percy Harvin. WHY, WHY, WHY?! Marques Colston would've looked so much better there. But I hated his value vs ADP, and Harvin was slipping. In a keeper league like this where so many top WRs are already gone before the draft starts, I swung for the fences in the 3rd. After that it went Cooks in the 4th, Hunter in the 5th. I like the upside of all my receivers, but so much risks taken there. Dumb.

RBs: Matt Forte, Montee Ball, James White, Latavius Murray
-I am banking on Forte and Ball both being top-5 RBs. I can suffer some fliers crash and burning but I can't have these guys under perform. White and Murray could both be keepers for me next year, but we'll see how things play out.

TE's: Jordan Reed, Ladarius Green
-More upside plays here. Reed is the most likely to gain top-5 TE status, Green is an outside shot and a good chance of being a keeper next yr, since I didn't take him until the 9th rd.
Kicker: Nick Folk
-Don't care

DST: Detroit
-This was infuriating. I was deciding between Kenbrell Thompkins and Aaron Dobson. Bam, auto pick. [dang].

Defensive players: None selected
-We get to start 2, cans combined they can give us, if we're smart, 10 points a week. But I think this position is so deep, and I'm projected for around 110 pts which I expect to exceed, I'm gonna wait to see how my guys do first and just go without.

Thoughts?

16 teams is absurd.

Waiting on QB is the way to go. I take a page out of Matthew Berries book in that "I'm going to be one of the first guys in my league to draft a QB (Rogers, Manning, Brees), or the last."

Really like the Matt Forte and Jordan Reed picks as well. Forte is rock-solid and Reed seems to have huge upside.
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #50 on: September 01, 2014, 09:37:32 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
I have #6 in my first paid league tomorrow PM.

Will take whoever falls out of Peterson, Charles, Forte, Lynch, Lacy, or McCoy.

Then the 2nd round gets interesting. Move on a RB2 like Morris or maybe gamble on Foster? Or grab a WR1 like Dez Bryant or Thomas?
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #51 on: September 01, 2014, 09:38:44 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
Matt Berry informed quite a bit of this list. I reached on Hunter and Cooks based on his recommendation, and opted to keep Ball at 29 vs Hunter at 124 because he had Ball as a top-10 pick.

I wanted someone other than CC at QB, but in the 9th I kind of panicked and realized I didn't want to be tied to Seattle's passing game in 2 starting positions.

« Reply #52 on: September 01, 2014, 09:40:55 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

Then the 2nd round gets interesting. Move on a RB2 like Morris or maybe gamble on Foster? Or grab a WR1 like Dez Bryant or Thomas?

I hate Lynch and Morris this year. Passing on both. Any thought to Manning or Megatron in the 1st?

« Reply #53 on: September 01, 2014, 09:49:33 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo

I hate Lynch and Morris this year. Passing on both. Any thought to Manning or Megatron in the 1st?

I think both are actually flying a bit under the radar. Neither sexy picks with huge upside, but both have been consistent as hell.

Maybe I'm old school, but anything other than a RB with my first pick scares me. I just feel there's only a few real stud RB's. If I was to go QB early, I'd probably grab Brees or Rogers in the 2nd.

Fred Davis and Frank Gore are two guys who consistently seem under drafted in the mocks I've done. I think they could both flirt with RB2 status this year and I've seen them both available in the 7th-9th.
*CB Miami Heat*

« Reply #54 on: September 01, 2014, 09:54:50 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
You mean Fred Jackson, right?

« Reply #55 on: September 01, 2014, 09:58:03 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
You mean Fred Jackson, right?

LOL yes. Fred Davis was disappointing.

Fred JACKSON though, was a top-10 fantasy RB last year I believe and not much has changed.
Spiller is still going to get hurt and Jax is still going to snatch goal line carries. I think he's great value compared to where he's getting drafted.

I'm warming up to Ball. I was on the "what has he done?!" bandwagon, but he has talent and its the Broncos offense.
*CB Miami Heat*

« Reply #56 on: September 04, 2014, 09:40:32 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
Thoughts on my teams (both in 12 team league)
Team 1
P. Rivers
S. Vereen
B. Tate
Julio Jones
P. Harvin
J. Graham
Bucs
Dan Bailey
Rice
Broncos
Greene
Freeman
Miller
James Jones
Dobson

Team 2
Foles
Gerhart
Spiller
Dez
Harvin
Graham
Bucs
Parkey (philly kicker)
Rice
Russell Wilson
Cooks
Ertz
Andre Williams
Tavon Austin
Kelvin Benjamin
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #57 on: September 06, 2014, 06:37:08 PM »

Offline Enzzo

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 16
Hey guys, so this is my first year in my friends super competitive league and I would like to know your opinions on a solid lineup. My problem is all the projected points for my players are pretty much even. Can you please help me pick a solid team to start week one?

My players:

QB: Brady

WR: Jordy Nelson (played thursday), Michael Floyd, Kenny Brit, Cecil Shorts III, Brian Hartline, Tavon Austin

RB: Ben Tate, Reggie Bush, Danny Woodhead, Maurice Jones-Drew

TE: Jimmy Graham, Ladarius Green

Any other tips you'd like to share would be greatly appreciated. thanks!

« Reply #58 on: September 06, 2014, 06:58:31 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
Your running backs, and sorry for the criticism, they're terrible.

I love Brady, Nelson, Floyd, and Jimmy Graham. I like Cecil Shorts (although he's out this week), I like Ladarius Green, but either Gates is playing or he isn't.

That running back core though..no upside.

« Reply #59 on: September 06, 2014, 08:31:41 PM »

Offline Enzzo

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 16
Your running backs, and sorry for the criticism, they're terrible.

I love Brady, Nelson, Floyd, and Jimmy Graham. I like Cecil Shorts (although he's out this week), I like Ladarius Green, but either Gates is playing or he isn't.

That running back core though..no upside.

No worries on the criticism, I need all I can get. Again I'm pretty new to NFL and completely green in fantasy leagues in general. I'm gunna check to see what RB's are available to pick up, thanks for the input!