Author Topic: Oh god... Wisdom teeth...  (Read 6073 times)

Oh god... Wisdom teeth...
« on: August 13, 2014, 09:37:59 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Last Friday night couldn't sleep due to a sudden feverish headache, and a constant ache of my jaw/ear. Realized that there was something wrong, as my gums and a sliver of a wisdom teeth on my left jaw was slightly protruding, and immense amount of pain forced me to ask my managers to send me home early.

Went to a father's client dentistry, and surprise, surprise! My wisdom teeth became severly impacted, and my gums had swelled a lot. He warned me that if I had waited 3-7 days extra, there was a possibility, I could've ended up in the ER.

Skipped work until Monday, and got my teeth taken out, without dental insurance, I decided to take my wisdom teeth out without any sedatives/anesthesia as it would be 600-1600 dollars cheaper.

And all I can say is holy.

Painful.

Painful.

Painful.

I could barely function after the removal of my wisdom teeth, which was pretty darn big. For the last couple of days, I have been on a series of pain killers, a mixture of Tylenol, and occasional Vicodin for severe pain.

Does anyone know how long it takes for the pain to wear off? This is extremely annoying, and my patience at work especially in the restaurant hospitality is forcing me to grit my teeth and cringe.

I had a momentary irrational fear that I have acquired a dry socket, as the pain for the past 2 days have been unbearable. Even with pain killers, I am reduced to shivering, ear aches, headaches, and consistent pain in my jaw/gums. I also had a blood clot, and after swishing some warm salt water a day after the original extraction, I noticed my stitches/ and blood clot had come out. I freaked out, and went to check and see with my dentist, but thankfully, she said my gum had closed up the hole, and that it was on its way to healing.

I'm just wondering how much longer this is gonna last...
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

Re: Oh god... Wisdom teeth...
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2014, 09:41:42 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I did not experience pain and had all 4 out the same day, but I think I remember not being able to eat regular food right away.

I didn't realize how much anesthesia costs and am ticked they didn't tell me up front.

Wisdom teeth.....exhibit A in why life before modern dentistry was probably not worth living. Probably why life expectancy was so short.

Uh.....maybe sleeping pills?

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2014, 09:46:23 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
I did not experience pain and had all 4 out the same day, but I think I remember not being able to eat regular food right away.

I didn't realize how much anesthesia costs and am ticked they didn't tell me up front.

Wisdom teeth.....exhibit A in why life before modern dentistry was probably not worth living. Probably why life expectancy was so short.

Uh.....maybe sleeping pills?

I don't know if its a fact how expensive anesthesia is, but my friend who is a dental assistant says it cost a decent amount of money, and it can range.

She says that's usually why its a good idea to get dental insurance especially if you have a family of 2 or more.

Either way, I just took a dosage of Tylenol of 800 MG, and it isn't working/having no effect.

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2014, 09:50:52 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
I had three impacted wisdom teeth. For me it was 3 days of puddin' and that was it. Plus I guess I kept talking about the head nurse's..assets during  anesthesia. She was a solid 55 years old if she was a day and I was 19. Embarrassing.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2014, 09:55:32 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
If you're healing I think the pain should be going down.

If it's getting worse I think you gotta tell the doctors it's getting worse. If it's getting worse it implies to me there was a fudge up.

Is it all over your mouth or localized?

I'm a tad surprised that a guy who had a healthy head 2 weeks ago got the right surgery where everything went well, then wakes up in unbearable pain that doesn't get better.

if it's getting better even if it's bad and slow I think you're ok. If it's not getting better I think you might have a bad problem.

Not a doctor. Not a doctor.

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2014, 10:01:08 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
If you're healing I think the pain should be going down.

If it's getting worse I think you gotta tell the doctors it's getting worse. If it's getting worse it implies to me there was a fudge up.

Is it all over your mouth or localized?

I'm a tad surprised that a guy who had a healthy head 2 weeks ago got the right surgery where everything went well, then wakes up in unbearable pain that doesn't get better.

if it's getting better even if it's bad and slow I think you're ok. If it's not getting better I think you might have a bad problem.

Not a doctor. Not a doctor.

I'm hoping. Dentist told me pain should be going down, the pain has risen a little bit more, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it'll wear off. She says it takes 2-3 weeks for your entire gums to completely heal. A month should be the icing on the cake.

As for the PM you sent me, friend recommended to avoid the use of it at all costs. Says there is a slight chance since it is a blood thinner, that it could be more harmful as that can also create infections or cause dry sockets. Smoking/drinking are the two leading causes for dry sockets.

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2014, 10:27:34 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Last Friday night couldn't sleep due to a sudden feverish headache, and a constant ache of my jaw/ear. Realized that there was something wrong, as my gums and a sliver of a wisdom teeth on my left jaw was slightly protruding, and immense amount of pain forced me to ask my managers to send me home early.

Went to a father's client dentistry, and surprise, surprise! My wisdom teeth became severly impacted, and my gums had swelled a lot. He warned me that if I had waited 3-7 days extra, there was a possibility, I could've ended up in the ER.

Skipped work until Monday, and got my teeth taken out, without dental insurance, I decided to take my wisdom teeth out without any sedatives/anesthesia as it would be 600-1600 dollars cheaper.

Painful.

Painful.

Painful.

I could barely function after the removal of my wisdom teeth, which was pretty darn big. For the last couple of days, I have been on a series of pain killers, a mixture of Tylenol, and occasional Vicodin for severe pain.

Does anyone know how long it takes for the pain to wear off? This is extremely annoying, and my patience at work especially in the restaurant hospitality is forcing me to grit my teeth and cringe.

I had a momentary irrational fear that I have acquired a dry socket, as the pain for the past 2 days have been unbearable. Even with pain killers, I am reduced to shivering, ear aches, headaches, and consistent pain in my jaw/gums. I also had a blood clot, and after swishing some warm salt water a day after the original extraction, I noticed my stitches/ and blood clot had come out. I freaked out, and went to check and see with my dentist, but thankfully, she said my gum had closed up the hole, and that it was on its way to healing.

It goes down, but you might want to (responsibly) increase from an "occasional" Vicodin dose to a "regular" Vicodin dose over the weekend.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2014, 10:40:09 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas

Painful.

Painful.

Painful.

It goes down, but you might want to (responsibly) increase from an "occasional" Vicodin dose to a "regular" Vicodin dose over the weekend.

The problem is my body is already acclimating to Vicodin. Its not having as much as effect as it should have.

But I also posted this as a rant, but I also want to hear other people's thoughts/personal experiences from wisdom teeth.

Did you get yours taken out?

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2014, 10:49:04 PM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
I got all 4 of mine out on the same day. They put me out and gave me pain killers to take home. Anyway, my family said I could have w/e I wanted to eat and they would pick it up for me, so naturally I ordered the renegade steak from the longhorn steakhouse. The fam thought I was crazy bc I had just gotten my teeth pulled, but they got it for me, prob expecting I couldn't eat it. Well I ate the whole steak and everything, my family still talks about it to this day. BasicaLLY I'm a legend in the dental world, no big deal. Just wish there was a way I could make money off it.

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2014, 10:54:20 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
I got all 4 out in the same day and only took vics for a day. I was lucky and had no swelling and very little pain. The liquid diet was a good three or four days but other than that I was in pretty good shape.

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2014, 11:04:44 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
I got all 4 out in the same day and only took vics for a day. I was lucky and had no swelling and very little pain. The liquid diet was a good three or four days but other than that I was in pretty good shape.
I got all 4 of mine out on the same day. They put me out and gave me pain killers to take home. Anyway, my family said I could have w/e I wanted to eat and they would pick it up for me, so naturally I ordered the renegade steak from the longhorn steakhouse. The fam thought I was crazy bc I had just gotten my teeth pulled, but they got it for me, prob expecting I couldn't eat it. Well I ate the whole steak and everything, my family still talks about it to this day. BasicaLLY I'm a legend in the dental world, no big deal. Just wish there was a way I could make money off it.

So jelly.

Honestly, I did eat a Fuddruckers burger yesterday, but.... It was kind of tough, and I had to chew very slowly.

I'm pretty sure that kind of added onto the additional pain I was experiencing today.

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2014, 01:41:38 AM »

Offline LB3533

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 315
Just a FYI purposes only.

http://www.homeremedyshop.com/42-home-remedies-for-quick-wisdom-teeth-pain-relief/

Alot of these items are already in most people's homes.

If I, myself, were to start....#5, #7, #13, maybe #16.

#20, #24, #28, #30 are popular, but you have to find what works for you, especially if the pain killers your dentist/doctor gave you, aren't doing the job.

Bear in mind, the tooth or teeth has been removed, but the pain is still there. This suggests that the problem wasn't the tooth itself, but the problem is something or somewhere else. Maybe the jaw, gums or the nerves etc.

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2014, 05:53:53 AM »

Offline LB3533

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 315
How you feeling now?

« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2014, 11:45:06 AM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
I had three impacted wisdom teeth. For me it was 3 days of puddin' and that was it. Plus I guess I kept talking about the head nurse's..assets during  anesthesia. She was a solid 55 years old if she was a day and I was 19. Embarrassing.
Haha yeah, that anesthesia is really.......I guess the word is 'awesome.'  I literally woke up whistling I was so happy, the nurses almost couldn't believe it.  I had my tonsils out, which obviously isn't a close comparison, but I was in severe pain for 3-4 weeks and plenty of discomfort after that (especially since the percocet runs out after about 1 week).

You've got to remember they're cutting around inside of you and removing things that belong there, it's not going to heal anything like a cut on the arm.  So try not to worry that it's healing wrong or something else is the problem like LB suggests.  Each surgery goes differently, until we have robots doing it, you can't make the exact same incisions every time.  Each body is different (you might have had larger than average wisdom teeth and/or different than average jaw) and each body heals/recovers at different speeds.  And any mouth recoveries are absolutely impossible to predict because every time you talk or swallow or eat or move your tongue etc. you're re-opening what has already healed.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2014, 12:08:11 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Hope you can restore some semblance of normalcy ASAP!

Had those taken out many years ago...iirc most of the pain subsided within 4-5 days. I don't remember much other than ice cream and ibuprofen, plus lots of gauze. Oh, and waking up after the operation in my home.