Author Topic: First nine games????  (Read 13797 times)

Re: First nine games????
« Reply #45 on: August 15, 2014, 06:51:16 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
I expect the Celtics to go 96-0 every season. My expectations are, clearly, untethered to reality.
Yeah I wish I could have some type of automated response system for when the annual "predict our regular season record" threads come around.  Obviously I'm just going to put 82-0 in all of them (I'm the type of guy who always tells people the game isn't over yet when we are down 10 with 1 minute to go).
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #46 on: August 15, 2014, 06:55:08 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
To be clear: my guess is that they'll win 31 games. My expectation is that they'll win 82.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #47 on: August 15, 2014, 07:02:06 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
I think these C's are going to surprise some teams, myself.

Once Coach figures out how to use the 3-headed monster called King Ghidorah - I mean -  Rondo-AB-Smart  :) our opponents are going to find a rather stingy defense.

« Reply #48 on: August 15, 2014, 07:14:30 PM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1553
It's quite feasible that we go 1-14 for our first 15 games.

LoL......that's sorta what I expect .......for the Celtics to start off an amazing tanking year. :-X

They will be upbeat and play hard .  I just don't think they can will themselves past teams with superior talent on a nightly basis.

I predict Celtics will be a hard out ,  but will rarely win.

sounds like last year   
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #49 on: August 15, 2014, 07:21:00 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
I think these C's are going to surprise some teams, myself.
Same.  We have all the makings of a 6-8 seed, especially if we do something like Bass + a first for something at the deadline.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #50 on: August 15, 2014, 08:41:04 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
I didn't say we should tank....they should go hard and see what happens at first....I just think we won't win enough games to matter to a hill of beans......

If they play hard and still can't win ....don't do like last year and screw up the draft pick position by playing for that 26 th win or 30 th win .......a meaning less win .....when a loss is a asset for draft position.

Drop back .....get a good lottery pick .

You're missing the point.

If our team is just as bad, or worse, than last year, we might as well pack it up and ship everybody out for draft picks. It would mean our young players are trash and are not improving. It would be a complete and utter disaster.

We've lost Humphries, Lee and Ainge is trying to trade Bass and Green. Turner sucks, Thornton is a chucker too, Zeller is a big body but again he's young. Smart and Young are babies.
I don't think people realize that this is potentially a more serious 'development' year than last season. The East has gotten stronger, the West is still just as strong.
There's nothing unrealistic about saying this team could go 1 win and 14 losses quite easily given their make up- and if you read the rest of the quote, I said it's likely we get 3 or 4 wins but 1 win is feasible too.
Hopefully the young guys step up but this team is very young and the rest of the league has gotten stronger while our interior situation hasn't gotten any better than last year.
This years Lee and Crawford are Thornton and Turner.
Looking at how tough those first 9 games are (and after the 10th game vs Philly), then 11th to 15th games are going to be very tough too.
There's negativity and then there's realism. Don't confuse the two.

Interesting debate of pessimism versus realism. You have chosen to mention the loss of two average veterans, one of whom we only had for the first 30 games of the season. You are then speculating on the loss of another two veterans (of which we haven't really heard a serious rumor) while choosing not to mention the fact that we have young players like KO, Sullinger, Bradley that should all improve. How about Smart being our highest drafted rookie in a decade?

Also how has the East gotten so strong? The players just switched teams within the East. Charlotte is better with Stephenson, but Indiana is worse. Cleveland is better, but the Heat are worse. The east also lost one of its five best players for the year in Paul George.

Aging veteran who was our best big man last year- being our best big man defender and arguably best overall big, yet and still a bench/role player on any other NBA team. Yes, he's gone.
  There have been MULTIPLE rumors about Ainge trying to move Green and Bass, Danny tried to trade Bass to the Warriors for a trade exception and Green has been 'shopped HARD' more than once in the last 6 months. This is reasonably common knowledge, just because you don't know about it doesn't make it my mere personal speculation.

All those teams in the East you mention are STILL BETTER than our team. The Heat are better, the Pacers are still better, the Cavs are better. You seem to be have this false premise that our team has moved up the ranks in the East...or that if Lebron leaves a team with 2 All Stars, that somehow that makes the conference easier for the Celtics? That's false logic. We haven't moved anywhere because even though Lebron left the Heat, they are still a way better team. The Pacers are still a better team without Paul George- all of those things have nothing to do with our team and the fact that we have a terrible defensive line up of big men and our best big man defender is on the trade block.
   Sullinger is a 3rd year player, Olynyk is a second year player- they're not putting up 20 points 10 rebounds yet. Hopefully Sully becomes a 16 point 10 rebound guy but he's still got loads of work to do on defense and post moves. Olynyk's meaningful play all occurred against 2nd units towards the end of the season and while promising, doesn't mean we're suddenly going to beat the Heat or the Pacers.
There are 3 teams worse than us this year in the East.
Magic
Bucks
Philly.

After that it's between us and the Knicks. The Pistons got a good coach and kept the same team whilst improving the roster. They are a better team than the Celtics. So are the Wizards, Atlanta, Charlotte too.

It's great that Smart is our highest drafted rookie in 10 years, it doesn't change the fact that he's a rookie and he'll probably see 15 minutes a night and have a relatively small impact on the court this season, the same goes for his co-rookie Mr Young.

Think about who guards Tim Duncan, who guards Serge Ibaka, Brook Lopez, Kevin Garnett, nene, Gortat, Bosh, Verajao, Gasol sr, Gasol Jr, Randolph, Nowitzki, Howard, Bosh, Love...just off the top of my head.
   Just like last year, we have been designed to have a glaring weakness inside, and just like last year, we've signed runner/gunner wings with incredibly high usage rates, taking away good shots from guys like Olynyk and Green-who might get hot once every 5 games and look better than they really are if we give them some minutes- maybe we'll get a 2nd rounder for these chuckers again like last year. The added bonus is that this season these chuckers have to share time with our two promising rookies in their first season.

We're a poor three point shooting team AGAIN. Green and Bradley are our only 2 decent shooters and even they are patchy. I'm not sure how we are going to score in the paint, just like last year. We lost Humphries, we may lose Bass. Zeller is a great prospect but he's not as good as Humphries was for us last season. Brandon Bass is our best big man defender at 6 ' 8" tall. That sums our roster up perfectly.

So no, it's not pessimism, it's called being realistic. I'll repeat, this team may win 3 or 4 of the first 15 games, but it's very feasible that they only win 1 game of the first 15 games given the difficulty of the schedule and the youth, lack of depth on our roster at key positions in the NBA.

The only significant addition to our team is Rondo's Health, and the fact that Sully can now play power forward full time. Rondo still doesn't have any decent players to pass to, and given our lack of big men with post game, we'll be a jumpshooting team that is poor at making jumpshots- just like last year.

Chambers what is the opposite of drinking the kool aid? Drinking the p---? Whatever it is, you got to back away from it.

I fail to see how you don't understanding Indiana being very significantly worse can impact our wins, even though we are still a worse team. I will spell it out for you though, instead of being a 50 win team that we are expected to go 0-4 against, we have a very reasonable chance of going 2-2 against them now.

As another poster has mentioned, without George and Stevenson and a 35 year old power forward and a center that had a mind blowing regression last year, they could be really pretty bad.

Similarly, Miami being worse means we have a better chance of stealing a game against them. To be fair, we now are clearly much less likely to get a win or two against the Cavs.

As  for our team, Rondo has been rumored to be on the block for what 5 years now? He is still here.  Unless Green or Bass is actually traded you have to count them trying to figure out when projecting our record in the East Next year.

Finally when thinking about losing players, what is to say we don't trade for a player? Say Atlanta really struggles to start the year or Horford gets injured again. Maybe they look to trade Milsap and rebuild? Maybe Smith is actually an even worse fit in Van Gundy's system than last year and they decide they have to move him.

Overall, all of your "realistic" prognostications are really worse case scenarios that fail to acknowledge any positive things breaking the celtics way. That is actually being pessimistic. Sorry.

Re-read what you've said, and re-read what I've said. Your logic is flawed.
Because the Pacers have gotten worse (whilst still being better than us), and the Heat have gotten worse (while still being WAY better than us), and the rest of the East has gotten stronger, the Celtics are now in a position to get more wins?
What about the teams that we had a shot at going 2-2 with last year like the Pistons? They're going to be significantly better, but our odds stay the same vs them and the Heat and Pacers have just regressed? Or the Bulls who have added Gasol and Mirotic and Rose- yeah we may have claimed 1 or 2 games off them last year. How bout this season?
The NBA's improvement and the East's level of improvement overall are equal to a larger amount than the Celtics improvement.
We still have gaping holes in the paint. We still can't shoot.
I've suggested that Sully and Olynyk will be looking to have great seasons, particularly Sully. I'm hoping Rondo has an amazing year and I'm hoping that Smart and Young both get some decent minutes.
Unfortunately, the reality is that our team is still one of the bottom 5 teams in the East and unlikely to get better, unless we make some kind of trade for an All Star caliber player.
If we lose Bass (expiring) and Green (restricted free agent who likely opts out), we will be utterly terrible- but at least Young and Olynyk will get a large amount of minutes.
There's definitely hope for this team, but there's nothing wrong with calling it how it is this season. We'll likely lose Green at the end of the year, we'll lose Bass, and we don't know what will happen with Rondo- I'm hoping he stays.
The bright side is that we have some young talent in Smart, Young, Sully, Zeller, Olynyk and Bradley and hopefully they can all improve their games and one or two of them can have breakout seasons. But if our starting line up is Rondo, Bradley, Green, Sully, Zeller. with Bass, Olynyk, Smart, Turner, Thornton, Wallace and Young as our bench- we will be stinking, hot, fumigating garbage.
I'll still watch every game and root for their improvement, particularly on the defensive end- but the reality is that this team sucks. Doesn't mean I don't love them to death though.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #51 on: August 16, 2014, 01:19:06 AM »

Offline Kadin

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 29
I don't see how you can watch a team if you have absolutely no hope or faith in them improving to any noticeable degree. If you think the team sucks and is going to suck 100% no matter what, why even watch?  It makes no sense. Personally, I'll be watching and hoping to see some improvement. I can't imagine going into it with the state of mind of "we suck, we're 100% going to suck the whole time, and there is no hope for ever not sucking."  ??? How depressing.

« Reply #52 on: August 16, 2014, 02:46:48 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
I don't see how you can watch a team if you have absolutely no hope or faith in them improving to any noticeable degree. If you think the team sucks and is going to suck 100% no matter what, why even watch?  It makes no sense. Personally, I'll be watching and hoping to see some improvement. I can't imagine going into it with the state of mind of "we suck, we're 100% going to suck the whole time, and there is no hope for ever not sucking."  ??? How depressing.

Welcome to Celticsblog - the home of the "Trade Rondo for a bag of chips, tank for next 10 yrs" threads. ;D

« Reply #53 on: August 18, 2014, 02:40:40 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.

Everyone is hoping for improvement aren't they? Who said anything about sucking the whole time or sucking forever? Just because I think our team is going to stink doesn't mean I can't enjoy watching them get better- our guys are good enough to learn from their mistakes and build from there....kinda like watching a Jamaican bobsled team.
 In fact I'd rather watch our young guys get minutes so they can improve instead of veterans who are going to leave after this season like Green and Bass.

How do you improve at basketball? Practice, play, multiple repetitions- and what helps even more? When you play against the best, and gain experience against the best.

Having blind, unwithering faith and saying 'they're gonna win 82 games and nothing less' is simply stupid to me and doesn't have an ounce of reality in it.

I'd rather say: 'Hey, we only won 30 games this season, but Avery is shooting almost 40% from three, and Olynyk and Sullinger are slowly getting better- Sully might just eclipse the 17 point, 10 rebound per game mark- that's something I'm keeping my eye on.' etc..
 I'm going to enjoy watching every player get better, I'm seriously excited to watch Marcus Smart adjust to NBA size when he attacks the paint and how he approaches learning to become a reliable three point shooter in the NBA, and how Zeller goes playing with a great pass first point guard in Rondo, playing starter minutes on a young team and a young coach.
I really can't wait.

I love the Celtics, just because I love them doesn't mean I have to be delusional about their potential results this season.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #54 on: August 20, 2014, 09:50:24 AM »

Offline DesertDweller

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 92
I not only watch every game, I record them so I can go back over games to see if the Celtics were just flat or if they were hot, what caused them to slow down. was it a rotation change??? any little thing that might have caused them to lose or changed their motivation during the game
I found there were a lot of Celtic games lost because of terrible shooting down the stretch. it was like all of a sudden everybody forgot how to shoot. I mean wide open 8-10 foot jumpers and even simple lay-ups. some of the shots missed were just ridiculous. but what is the answer for everyone falling apart at once and how could it happen so often???

We blew so many games last year it was pitiful. I hear mostly tank, tank, tank and I say the only way of having a chance to hang some banners is to make the playoffs. I don't care where you finish but you have to get into the playoffs to hang those banners!!! 

« Reply #55 on: October 30, 2014, 04:19:50 AM »

Offline Kadin

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 29