Author Topic: Clippers officially sold to Steve Ballmer  (Read 1930 times)

Clippers officially sold to Steve Ballmer
« on: August 13, 2014, 01:07:41 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Surprised to not see a topic on this during a slow week.  Whatever legal slapfights are still to come, the deal's done and Sterling no longer owns the Clippers, with only the lion's share of $2 billion to console him.

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/story/_/id/11343259/steve-ballmer-officially-new-owner-los-angeles-clippers

Re: Clippers officially sold to Steve Ballmer
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2014, 01:10:34 PM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
That is an outrageous price for a team like Clippers.  But when your net worth is around 20 Bill, I guess I doesn't matter

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2014, 01:46:27 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/05/30/are-the-clippers-really-worth-2-billion-five-things-that-drove-up-the-price/

Current broadcasting contract expires in 2016. Ballmer will recoup a good chunk of money with a new deal. Maybe not the $3 billion/20 years that the Lakers recently got, but still.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2014, 01:48:59 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
I bumped the other thread, but yeah, this deserves its own bit.

Sterling never had a chance to keep the team.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2014, 02:07:55 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704
The fact that Sterling didn't want to sell the Clippers for 2 billion dollars alone is enough evidence to question his mental state and his ability to make decisions.

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2014, 02:15:32 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
The fact that Sterling didn't want to sell the Clippers for 2 billion dollars alone is enough evidence to question his mental state and his ability to make decisions.

Who knows what really happened but my impression was he was cool with selling it but got really spiteful when he found out it wouldn't negate his fine and lifetime ban from NBA events.

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2014, 02:20:39 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704

Who knows what really happened but my impression was he was cool with selling it but got really spiteful when he found out it wouldn't negate his fine and lifetime ban from NBA events.

Sure, but selling one of the all time worst franchises in the NBA for 2 billion, when you had bought it for 12.5 million , should have anyone jumping for joy regardless

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2014, 04:13:27 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja
i guess all that is left to hope for is that ballmer is both a very, very hands on owner, and, an incompetent basketball mind.  :)
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2014, 04:26:18 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell

Sure, but selling one of the all time worst franchises in the NBA for 2 billion, when you had bought it for 12.5 million , should have anyone jumping for joy regardless

That assumes Donald Sterling is not an evil toad motivated purely by spite and a feeling that he's been wronged by the league.

Bold assumption, in my view.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

Donald Sterling's appeal denied:
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2014, 09:38:10 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/story/_/id/11350257/donald-sterling-appeal-sale-los-angeles-clippers-denied

The appeal, a writ of supersedeas and request for an immediate stay, was Sterling's last-ditch maneuver to block the sale of the franchise to former Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer.

DTS finally bows out
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2014, 05:38:03 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
http://www.si.com/nba/2014/08/27/donald-sterling-clippers-deadline-steve-ballmer

"In a development that makes Donald Sterling reacquiring the Los Angeles Clippers virtually impossible, court records indicate that Sterling failed to petition the California Supreme Court for review by Monday’s deadline. The failure means that Sterling has run out of legal options in California to force former Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer to return the franchise to him.

Under California law, Sterling had 10 business days from Aug. 13 – the date an intermediate appellate court summarily rejected Sterling’s two petitions for the $2 billion sale of the Clippers be halted or reversed – to petition the California Supreme Court with the same request.  It would have been a long shot request, to be sure, but Sterling was entitled to give it a try.  By allowing the deadline to pass without a petition to the California Supreme Court, Sterling effectively acquiesces to Ballmer’s ownership of the team.

On one hand, Sterling’s inaction is stunning given his litigious past and reputation for trying every legal move imaginable.  This is, after-all, the same Donald Sterling who earlier in the summer described NBA officials as “despicable monsters” and who vowed a “fight to the bloody end” to keep the Clippers.  On the other hand, Sterling’s capitulation is consistent with his more recent comments to TMZ.com when he lamented, “I’m finished. I’m over.” When it comes to owning the Clippers, Sterling is indeed finished."

===

In any case, the value of our 2015 pick from the LAC will now be decided on court rather than in it.

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2014, 06:55:18 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
It's weird since a lot of legal experts around here assured us that there's no way Sterling would lose the team without a long, ugly court battle that the NBA would almost certainly lose.

« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2014, 07:04:47 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
It's weird since a lot of legal experts around here assured us that there's no way Sterling would lose the team without a long, ugly court battle that the NBA would almost certainly lose.

Weird is a good word for it.

« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2014, 07:12:24 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
Also, for the last time:
Donald Sterling is a waste of natural resources, as well as a wasted expenditure of time, effort, and emotional/intellectual involvement. the NBA is immeasurably better off without him.