Author Topic: I need someone to explain this to me  (Read 1491 times)

I need someone to explain this to me
« on: August 13, 2014, 12:49:01 AM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
I want to make it clear that I'm not trolling and this isn't a joke.  These is a honest question I would like a decent explanation for.  I just got done watching Brad Stevens and Rajon Rondo ALS ice bucket challenge.  It remind me of the question I've had in my mind about this things, walk for cancer and ice bucket challenge.  I realize these activities are to raise awareness for these horrible sicknesses but I'm still lost on the WHY.  Why the activity (or the challenge) itself?  Not the purpose they are made for but their significance.  It's to raise awareness but what is the significant of the actual activity?  I would think raising awareness would be much more simpler and would better reach the masses if broadcasted in the media or something rather than walking 10 miles or pouring a bucket full of ice on one self.  Is there something I'm missing here?

PS.  I actually brought it up at work among my coworkers, the walk for cancer, and you would think it's some exorcism or something the way they all looked at me.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 12:56:48 AM by Clench123 »

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell

Re: I need someone to explain this to me
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2014, 02:29:34 AM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
It's simple, people are more likely to pay attention to something they see as entertaining/fun. I would rather watch them throwing freezing water on themselves (by watching feel more like donating) than watching someone put up slides and describe what they want the money for. Especially in this day and age, you have to do something that will capture people's attention, challenges are the craze, why not use it as a way to help a worthy cause. I heard they raised around $1m this year with help from these challenge videos when last year they raised a lot less (I think $20k).

I'm just glad it isn't the fire challenge, of course then they would need money for another cause, skin grafting operations. ;D
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

Re: I need someone to explain this to me
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2014, 05:35:25 AM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
OK so IMO I believe that most of the people who do these silly (self promotional)things DO NOT CARE about the cause, they just want proof that they contributed to a cause so that they can get a pat on the back and be the center of attention for doing something decent. Its like when you see Sara Mcgloughlin or whoever on tv about the homeless dogs..at the end of the pitch they say"and it comes with 4 patches, a bag, tshirt, and hat letting everyone know you donated to this cause".

But I am very cynical in general....I wasn't when I was in high school and liberal.