Author Topic: Detroit Boston trade  (Read 9777 times)

Detroit Boston trade
« on: August 12, 2014, 05:44:35 PM »

Offline Binbin7397

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 1
http://basketball.realgm.com/tradechecker/saved_trade/6503924
Smith for bass bogans babb Johnson sixers pick and/or Cleveland pick.
Celtics build a running team around Rondo like the suns and nets did with Nash and Kidd. He's around the same age as those two when they really took off and started leading teams to the playoffs. Pistons clear playing time and cap space for Monroe. Still have a decent backup big.

Re: Detroit Boston trade
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2014, 05:53:20 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
I always felt that if the Pistons resigned Monroe, that Smith would be gone.

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2014, 06:23:43 PM »

Offline Binbin7397

• Jaden Springer
That's what I'm hoping for. I think a starting five of rondo Bradley green smith and sully/olynyk/zeller could do some damage in the east and we'd still have smart young Thornton turner Wallace and the losers of the C battle on the bench. We'd also still be in good shape for any trades that could come up by keeping the young guys and most of the picks.

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2014, 06:29:55 PM »

Offline Skywalker2.0

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 247
That's what I'm hoping for. I think a starting five of rondo Bradley green smith and sully/olynyk/zeller could do some damage in the east and we'd still have smart young Thornton turner Wallace and the losers of the C battle on the bench. We'd also still be in good shape for any trades that could come up by keeping the young guys and most of the picks.

That team would do some damage in the weak east.

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2014, 07:19:01 PM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
If I were DET I would listen to offers for Drummond. They could get a haul for him but it all depends on what they want to do. Smith is a very good power forward and could really d up kevin love. They need to choose between Drummond/Monroe.Jsmooov.

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2014, 07:58:50 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
I always felt that if the Pistons resigned Monroe, that Smith would be gone.

I would have agreed with you (and I do agree with you about wanting to get JSmith here) about the Pistons not keeping both, IF the Pistons had paid him market value and not the QO.

If they had done that they would have had north of $26 mil tied up in one position. Now it's only $18 or so mil and with Drummond still on a rookie deal. If Van Gundy plays Smith at the PF spot only, that's a pretty strong 4,5 rotation of Drummond/Monroe/Smith.

I think Rondo/Stevens/Ainge can control Smith and make him more disciplined. With Smith here, the commitment will be to the present and Rondo will be more likely to stay.

I think getting Smith is less likely now, though, with Monroe only getting the QO.

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2014, 08:01:54 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
http://basketball.realgm.com/tradechecker/saved_trade/6503924
Smith for bass bogans babb Johnson sixers pick and/or Cleveland pick.
Celtics build a running team around Rondo like the suns and nets did with Nash and Kidd. He's around the same age as those two when they really took off and started leading teams to the playoffs. Pistons clear playing time and cap space for Monroe. Still have a decent backup big.

Here's your first TP, and I'm all for Smith coming here, and think he could be had for relatively cheap, but not that cheap.

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2014, 12:38:46 PM »

Offline LatterDayCelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 171
  • Community Text
Is Smith the player worth ve flexibility we lose taking on Smith's contract? That offer involves giving up alot of money in non-guaranteed and expiring contracts for one long term deal. That is my only concern.
Banner 18 please 😍

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2014, 12:47:17 PM »

Offline Timdawgg

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 623
Rebuilding is so tough..patience is so important....I am already starting to get an "itchy trigger-finger"....I am almost ready to cave and be okay if the celts did something like getting smith (whose game I never really liked much) just to see 2 old friends play together and make the Celts a little more relevant again! My brain says no but my heart says lets do something like this...
A winner is someone who recognizes his God-given talents, works his tail off to develop them into skills, and uses these skills to accomplish his goals.

Push yourself again and again. Don't give an inch until the final buzzer sounds.

Larry Bird

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2014, 02:03:12 PM »

Offline Binbin7397

• Jaden Springer
I actually really like what the team could be after the trade. In a contract year and coming off an injury I think we get prime time rondo all year long, which is easily a top 5 pg in the league. And if you surround him with guys that play to his strengths I think you have a top 4 team in the east with a ton of assets left to make a surprise move if one arrives. Rondo running the break with smith and green attacking the basket, Bradley posting up for corner threes and olynyk trailing is a unique team that could give teams fits.

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2014, 03:51:04 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
Is Smith the player worth ve flexibility we lose taking on Smith's contract? That offer involves giving up alot of money in non-guaranteed and expiring contracts for one long term deal. That is my only concern.

Excellent point. I wonder if they would take on Wallace if we took Smith's contract off their hands.

Guess it depends on how bad they want to dump Smith, if they do at all. VanGundy was pumping up Smith bigtime a few weeks ago. Could be that he really values him or just puffing up an asset.

Wallace+Bogans (or any of the other noguaranteeds they want) plus Philly's pick for Josh Smith.

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=n6uqvox

Detroit saves about $20 mil over the next three years plus they get a first (or two seconds) and a player in Crash at a position of need at SF.

Again, depends on what they think of Josh Smith. I just think he can do a lot more for us than he can for them.

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2014, 04:03:32 PM »

Offline arctic 3.0

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 406
Smith solves two problems for us: his shot blocking makes Zeller/Oly less of a liability on D and if we can get him to play in the paint on O he is a perfect pairing with the stretch bigs we already have on the roster. In essence he accentuates our players strengths and minimizes their weekneses.
He is also great in the open floor, giving rondo another target on the break and he takes the pressure off green to be the go to guy.

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2014, 04:36:18 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
perfect pairing with the stretch bigs we already have on the roster.

Other than Olynyk who is the other stretch big?   I hope you do mean the  .27% 3P shooting Sully.
Because if I was the other team I would want him to shoot them.

« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2014, 04:36:41 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
Smith solves two problems for us: his shot blocking makes Zeller/Oly less of a liability on D and if we can get him to play in the paint on O he is a perfect pairing with the stretch bigs we already have on the roster. In essence he accentuates our players strengths and minimizes their weekneses.
He is also great in the open floor, giving rondo another target on the break and he takes the pressure off green to be the go to guy.

....and a far better passer than many realize as well as being tough on the roll in the pick and roll.

« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2014, 04:54:25 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2525

So you are saying that this would be a disciplined, defense-focused, in the paint on O and D Josh Smith?