Author Topic: Sullinger seems to have lost some weight  (Read 10632 times)

Re: Sullinger seems to have lost some weight
« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2014, 08:55:02 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
U guys are ridiculous. .. last year sully was maybe 10 lbs overweight but needed that 10 lbs to play effective at center all year. Saying he was fat is just absurd.. He's said it and his father has said it that he wanted to shed that extra weight and play his natural pf position this year. Yall acting like he's big baby or sumthin lol

This all depends on how you see Sully's ideal playing weight.  Some see him as an undersized backup center in the NBA.  If that's the case, yeah, he wasn't THAT overweight.  However, I personally think his best chance at success in the NBA is to be a PF who can face up in the mould of Kevin Love, in which case, he needs to slim down SIGNIFICANTLY.  Go look at the before and afters of Love.  He came into the league like Sully.  Not fat, but above his ideal playing weight.  It wasn't until he had been in the league a few years that he really committed himself to completely remaking his body, and that is when he made the leap from quality player to superstar.  While I am not sure we will see the same trajectory for Sully, I think he should be following the same regimen.  Not just trying to get back to his playing weight from before the back injury, but to remake his body, so he can really play the PF spot in today NBA, where you need to be a lot more mobile.

I think Billz401 point isn't that Sully shouldn't slim down for the PF position -- just that he was sort of required to carry the extra weight this last year because he was being asked to bang with much bigger centers.   I think what seems unfair to some is for him to be criticized and the butt of jokes for that.

It is pretty clear from Sully's comments, his father's comments, Stevens' comments and the very fact that Sully is on this particular conditioning program that everyone is in consensus with you -- his future is probably better off at a lower weight, playing PF.

Where I disagree is the suggestion that he was purposefully overweight last season.  He came into camp out of shape, and even said so himself.  Now, he had an excuse because he was recovering from back surgery, but I really don't see any evidence that anyone wanted him playing at the weight he was at last season.  Just like everyone you mentioned seems to be in agreement on where he should be going forward, I think the same was the case last year, but he just was not able to get to the weight they wanted, because of the injury.

With that said, what are we doing here, if we can't criticize players and make butt jokes?  We need more butt jokes (and we will get them with Evan Turner in Boston).

On a side note, who the heck is the trainer at OSU?  They need to be fired.

« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2014, 10:44:11 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
On a side note, who the heck is the trainer at OSU?  They need to be fired.

This is true, TP,   he got only 9 reps of bench press at the combine, that is pathetic for a 265 lb man when it is only 185 lbs.  Heck,  Marcus Smart did it 19 times.  But good news is he has room for vast improvement in his strength.

« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2014, 12:03:57 AM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
Yep, can't tell much from a pic but here are around 20... looks thinner but I have never seen him in person. He's been putting in work.

http://redsarmy.com/2014/08/11/sully-interacts-with-fans-at-nba-nation-in-china/

It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2014, 12:17:20 AM »

Offline SCeltic34

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1997
Yep, can't tell much from a pic but here are around 20... looks thinner but I have never seen him in person. He's been putting in work.

http://redsarmy.com/2014/08/11/sully-interacts-with-fans-at-nba-nation-in-china/

Overall he does look skinnier.

But if you hand-pick photo #5 (or #13) and saw only that one, you might be convinced that there wasn't much of a change.

« Reply #34 on: September 20, 2014, 02:06:16 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

« Reply #35 on: September 20, 2014, 07:46:00 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
If he turns into a 18 PPG and 10 RPG but better defense than Kevin Love player then just maybe I won't be as disappointed we didn't get Love this summer.

« Reply #36 on: September 20, 2014, 08:13:19 AM »

Offline BigAlTheFuture

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 458
If he turns into a 18 PPG and 10 RPG but better defense than Kevin Love player then just maybe I won't be as disappointed we didn't get Love this summer.

That would be awesome. we'll see
PHX Suns: Russell Westbrook, Chris Bosh, Tristan Thompson, Trevor Ariza, Tony Allen, Trey Lyles, Corey Brewer, Larry Nance Jr., Trey Burke, Troy Daniels, Joffrey Lauvergne, Justin Holiday, Mike Muscala, 14.6

« Reply #37 on: September 20, 2014, 10:22:38 AM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
Its really not hard to lose weight when your in his position. If he did not lose the weight it would have been a major red flag, to me at least.

« Reply #38 on: September 20, 2014, 10:56:42 AM »

Offline Jesus Shuttlesworth #20

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 28
Nice so he will be in better shape to actually build the house with all the bricks he throws up from 3pt land. Always good to have a 260 lb guy taking 3 pointers, particularly when he is terrible at 3's, makes for great offensive rebounding when the guy who is supposed to be getting the rebounds is 25 feet from the basket.

« Reply #39 on: September 20, 2014, 11:15:05 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja
first two....maybe, but perhaps a stretch for this year.

the last point, consider it already accomplished. love's defense is poor for a range of reasons. sully plays better defense.

so, one down and two to go.  ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #40 on: September 20, 2014, 11:58:07 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Hopefully we can see him do some of the dunks below

He still is not a high flyer in those dunks but it was better than last year.  Some of them he barely clears the rim.   I do not the competition in the NBA will allow such margin of error.