Author Topic: Robin Williams found dead  (Read 14902 times)

Re: Robin Williams found dead
« Reply #45 on: August 12, 2014, 09:14:06 AM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
growing up Jumanji and Mrs. Doubtfire were the two movies I liked. May he rest in peace

« Reply #46 on: August 12, 2014, 09:30:07 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1616
  • What a Pub Should Be
Good Will Hunting is in my top 3.  Just an awesome movie.  Williams definitely deserved that Oscar. 

Also a big fan of Dead Poets Society & Good Morning, Vietnam.

Man, depression sucks. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #47 on: August 12, 2014, 09:42:16 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
http://www.cracked.com/quick-fixes/robin-williams-why-funny-people-kill-themselves

This is a good article for anyone who wondered "why" when they first heard the news.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #48 on: August 12, 2014, 09:44:53 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Good Will Hunting is in my top 3.  Just an awesome movie.  Williams definitely deserved that Oscar. 

Man, depression sucks.

I would add Fisher King to that list. A quartet of fabulous movies

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #49 on: August 12, 2014, 10:26:22 AM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
But I will say that it seems weird to me that so many on my Facebook page hold up movies like Aladdin, Jumanji, or Mrs Doubtfire as the movies they remember him most for.

It would be like if Eddie Murphy died and people remembered him for Dr Doolittle instead of Raw (although BHC and Coming to America will always have their place in my rotation), or if Martin Lawrence died and people remembered him for Big Momma's House.
That's America for you.

That...

or maybe people have differences of opinion and like different things for different reasons.

Just glad they like anything from him, goes to show that his vast work found a way to touch all types and that's a testament to how good he was!

No..I mean that's true, it's just wierd to me. It'd be like if someone remebered Ray Allen only for his time in Miami or something. Like, 'Yah, that's special for you, but bro...you should've seen him on the Bucks.'

For me, I think there was an honestly, a bearing of Williams' true frantic, but troubled soul in his early standup showcases. And I loved Williams in some of his movies, and if you want to get nostalgic, Hook will always have a place in my heart, so will Toys, but when I saw his early standup, it was just..true. And I didn't see it until long after highschool, decades after it was taped.

And I'm sure out there is someone who thinks I'm an uneducated butthole because I never saw Mork and Mindy.
Exactly.  Same way there's probably some people out there who would only remember Martin Lawrence, Tim Allen, and Travolta for Wildhogs.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #50 on: August 12, 2014, 12:05:17 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I'm just trying to make a top ten list of his movies in my head, not to be critical, but just to demonstrate how hard it is.  Keeping in mind I didn't see several of his very famous ones...

Dead Poets Society
Good Will Hunting
The Birdcage
Awakenings
Aladdin
Good Morning Vietnam
Hook
One Hour Photo
The Fisher King ( I actually went out of my way to watch this and just have very little memory of it)
Mrs. Doubtfire

Didn't see but plan to see....Jumanji, Bicentennial Man, Patch Adams, The World According to Garp, Night at the Museum, Happy Feet maybe, gotta rewatch his brief spot in AI

He could talk to kids. He could talk to adults. He could talk to them at the same time. You never outgrew him. He never outgrew you. Like a comedic Mr. Rogers who didn't even have to be funny.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 12:24:57 PM by eja117 »

« Reply #51 on: August 12, 2014, 12:18:38 PM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291

He could talk to kids. He could talk to adults. He could talk to them at the same time. You never outgrew him. He never outgrew you.

This is just such a great description. Spot on.

« Reply #52 on: August 12, 2014, 01:34:51 PM »

Online bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593
World's Greatest Dad was probably the most recent Robin Williams movie I saw, and I really liked it.

It's one of those movies you never heard of (straight to video) but you always see when you're looking on Netflix for something to watch.  It catches your eye, if only because you recognize Robin Williams, you think I might watch that some time, but ultimately pass by it as you keep looking for something else to watch as you think how good could it be if it went straight to video?  Eventually, when you feel like you've watched just about everything else on Netflix, you finally give it a try.

Then after the movie is over, you're like "wow I can't believe I kept passing by that movie for the last 6 months, it's better than anything else I've watched in here in a long time."

It's a dark comedy with death, suicide, and Robin Williams living a depressing life, so it might not be the right movie to watch right now, but you should check it out eventually.  It's one of his highest rated movies on Rotten Tomatoes (89%) and has a very solid 7.0 rating on IMDb.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 01:47:40 PM by bdm860 »

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #53 on: August 12, 2014, 02:22:46 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
I've always thought The Birdcage was pretty inferior to the original, but I saw the original first, so that's hard to call.

Have heard many good things about World's Greatest Dad, though.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #54 on: August 12, 2014, 07:24:00 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
RV is hilarious.  Incredibly underrated, imo.

« Reply #55 on: August 12, 2014, 07:44:47 PM »

Offline freshinthehouse

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
Norm McDonald told a great Robin Williams story on his Twitter account today:

"It was my first stand-up appearance on Letterman and I had to follow the funniest man in the world. I was a punk kid from rural Ontario and I was in my dressing room, terrified. I was on the phone to a friend back home when the funniest man in the world ambled by. There was no one else on the floor. In shock, I told my friend who just walked by. Only the funniest man in the world. I guess he heard me say his name, cause in an instant he was at my side. He was a jewish tailor, taking my measurements. He went down on his knees, asked which way I dressed. I told my friend on the phone that the funniest man in the world was on his knees before me, measuring my inseam. My friend didn't believe me so I said, "Could you talk to my friend, sir. The funniest man in the world took the phone and for ten minutes took my friend's chinese food order. I laughed and laughed and it was like I was in a dream because no one else was there. No one. The place was out of Moo Shoo Pork, and there was nothing he could do about it. He angrily hung up on my friend and I was about to thank him when he said I hadn't even tried the jacket on. Then the funniest man on earth dressed me, a complete stranger, and i remember he ended with a windsor knot. He spoke mostly yiddish, but when he finished he was happy with his job and turned me to a mirror to present myself to me. No one witnessed any of this. No one. The funniest man alive was in my dressing room a good half-hour and was far funnier than the set I had to do soon. When he left my dressing room, I felt alone. As alone as I ever remember feeling. Until today. Unacceptable. #RIPRobinWilliams"

« Reply #56 on: August 16, 2014, 06:27:36 AM »

Offline LB3533

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 315
I'm just trying to make a top ten list of his movies in my head, not to be critical, but just to demonstrate how hard it is.  Keeping in mind I didn't see several of his very famous ones...

Dead Poets Society
Good Will Hunting
The Birdcage
Awakenings
Aladdin
Good Morning Vietnam
Hook
One Hour Photo
The Fisher King ( I actually went out of my way to watch this and just have very little memory of it)
Mrs. Doubtfire

Didn't see but plan to see....Jumanji, Bicentennial Man, Patch Adams, The World According to Garp, Night at the Museum, Happy Feet maybe, gotta rewatch his brief spot in AI

He could talk to kids. He could talk to adults. He could talk to them at the same time. You never outgrew him. He never outgrew you. Like a comedic Mr. Rogers who didn't even have to be funny.

I wanted to nominate August Rush, not directly because of the wonderful Robin Williams, but because the film is pretty wonderful itself.

« Reply #57 on: August 16, 2014, 07:46:15 AM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
very sad, seemed like a genuine guy. one underrated film of his is "death to smoochy" a dark comedy by danny devito. worth checking out.
I actually think this is one of the great all time comedies, smoochy (Ed Norton) and rainbow randy (Williams) nail it

« Reply #58 on: August 16, 2014, 09:11:14 AM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2523

Man, depression sucks.

I would add Fisher King to that list. A quartet of fabulous movies

I am with you on that. Fisher King was a fantastic movie.  It's not for everyone, but I think it was his best.  I am not a big fan of GMV as it was apparently wildly inaccurate and, to me, just a vehicle for RWs comedy.  Just rubbed me wrong.

When Mork and Mindy came out, I was on board immediately. I thought he was brilliant -- completely carrying an otherwise unwatchable show.  I remember arguing with friends about M&M.  Many said they didn't get it, but I think it was cause they didn't really watch it.

He was captivating and brilliant.  He took Jonathan Winters and Tim Conway to an entirely new level.

« Reply #59 on: August 16, 2014, 10:12:03 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
He was, at times hilarious, some of his movies were great and some were not.   Sometimes I could only take doses of him.   I hope he finds the peace that was denied to him in life.