Author Topic: Robin Williams found dead  (Read 14906 times)

Re: Robin Williams found dead
« Reply #30 on: August 11, 2014, 11:01:22 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
very sad, seemed like a genuine guy. one underrated film of his is "death to smoochy" a dark comedy by danny devito. worth checking out.

I loved Death To Smoochie. TP. Movie gets panned so badly, I never understood why the things it did well weren't more lauded. Kind of like 'I Heart Huckabees'.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #31 on: August 11, 2014, 11:42:07 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
But I will say that it seems weird to me that so many on my Facebook page hold up movies like Aladdin, Jumanji, or Mrs Doubtfire as the movies they remember him most for.

It would be like if Eddie Murphy died and people remembered him for Dr Doolittle instead of Raw (although BHC and Coming to America will always have their place in my rotation), or if Martin Lawrence died and people remembered him for Big Momma's House.
That's America for you.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #32 on: August 11, 2014, 11:42:39 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
He is like Samuel L. to me, rare a movie of his I don't enjoy. When you can go a weekend watching nothing but movies from the same person and actually enjoy yourself, you know that they are a master at their craft! I don't know anyone (white, black, w/e), that doesn't like at least one of his movies, I'd be hard pressed to find someone who doesn't like at least 2.

I can't choose which movie of his is my favorite b/c I love so many of them. I think I'll just say that he is a favorite so I don't care either way. Put on Robin and I'm good!

I wish he could have lived in the joy he brought to me and so many others. RIP Robin!
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #33 on: August 12, 2014, 12:04:52 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Awful news.

Grew up laughing and enjoying Robin Williams' work (Dead Poets Society, Good Morning Vietnam, Mrs. Doubtfire, Awakenings, Hook.)

Very sad.

« Reply #34 on: August 12, 2014, 12:13:57 AM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
When I heard the news about Robin Williams, my first inclination was, "Yeah, that makes sense"

Comedians like actors, authors, and musicians..all creative types, are very often very depressed people. Greg Giraldo was funny as he'll, but a pretty depressed guy. Artie Lang, he's a guy who has fought depression his whole life. I think for a certain type of comedian, a lot of what they do comes from a place of immense personal pain. Jim Carey, Darrell Hammond, Marc Maron, Richard Lewis, a lot of these guys have had issues with depression, a lot of them came to comedy amidst a mist of childhood trauma and unresolved issues. And comedy by nature runs hand in hand with tragedy.

Obviously not a default setting or a broad brush you can paint all creative types with, but tortured genius isn't a stereotype because it is a rare thing. Robin Williams..it sucks. I hope he found peace in the end.

Well said IP.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #35 on: August 12, 2014, 12:15:42 AM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
But I will say that it seems weird to me that so many on my Facebook page hold up movies like Aladdin, Jumanji, or Mrs Doubtfire as the movies they remember him most for.

It would be like if Eddie Murphy died and people remembered him for Dr Doolittle instead of Raw (although BHC and Coming to America will always have their place in my rotation), or if Martin Lawrence died and people remembered him for Big Momma's House.
That's America for you.

That...

or maybe people have differences of opinion and like different things for different reasons.

Just glad they like anything from him, goes to show that his vast work found a way to touch all types and that's a testament to how good he was!
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #36 on: August 12, 2014, 12:20:30 AM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277

That's America for you.

That...

or maybe people have differences of opinion and like different things for different reasons.

Just glad they like anything from him, goes to show that his vast work found a way to touch all types and that's a testament to how good he was!

I know.....

Robin Williams has touched me through those movies as much as he probably affected you through Good Will Hunting.

« Reply #37 on: August 12, 2014, 12:33:26 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji

You should also factor in the age of the people who associate him with certain movies.  For me, I grew up with Flubber, Aladdin, and Mrs. Doubtfire, while you got to see many more of films that featured him, and thus have a larger recollection of his works.  Good morning Vietnam - how could I forget that one!?  It used to pop up on the tv every now and again.  I loved his radio broadcasts ;D  Can't forget about the comedy specials, either.

« Reply #38 on: August 12, 2014, 12:38:37 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

That's America for you.

That...

No..I mean that's true, it's just wierd to me. It'd be like if someone remebered Ray Allen only for his time in Miami or something. Like, 'Yah, that's special for you, but bro...you should've seen him on the Bucks.'

For me, I think there was an honestly, a bearing of Williams' true frantic, but troubled soul in his early standup showcases. And I loved Williams in some of his movies, and if you want to get nostalgic, Hook will always have a place in my heart, so will Toys, but when I saw his early standup, it was just..true. And I didn't see it until long after highschool, decades after it was taped.

And I'm sure out there is someone who thinks I'm an uneducated butthole because I never saw Mork and Mindy.

« Reply #39 on: August 12, 2014, 12:46:48 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
But Id be lying if I didn't use the '...but can you crow' and 'Bangerang, Peter!' Whenever I'm drunk and remeber to around my college friends.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G87uIh9ISWU

« Reply #40 on: August 12, 2014, 01:51:51 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
On the one hand, death is a bummer, and the fact that he apparently killed himself is bad news.

On the other hand, 'Robin Williams' leaves behind a pretty solid body of work for people to enjoy for as long as they care to, and this is a good occasion to remember the quality things he was involved with.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #41 on: August 12, 2014, 01:55:51 AM »

Offline kiwiceltic

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 16
But Id be lying if I didn't use the '...but can you crow' and 'Bangerang, Peter!' Whenever I'm drunk and remeber to around my college friends.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G87uIh9ISWU

This^^

When I traveled to Asia a few years back, all I wanted to do was get to Vietnam so I could yell at the top of my lunges "Good morning Vietnam!" and I did.... every morning lol

RIP Robin

« Reply #42 on: August 12, 2014, 03:20:55 AM »

Offline freshinthehouse

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
This is a bummer.  A friend of mine that's a comic says that Williams was known for always being really cool to up and coming comics.

Who's your friend?  Did he actually get to meet Robin Williams?

Sadly no one famous.  He's never met him, but plenty of his buddies have.

« Reply #43 on: August 12, 2014, 06:18:55 AM »

Offline krumeto

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 72
R.I.P Robin Williams.

Grown-up with Mrs. Doubtfire, Good Morning Vietnam is one of my top 10 all time, GWH probably top 5.
"We do so many defensive drills in practice, I come home and I'm putting the press on my woman, denying her the ball.
Y'all are laughing, but it's sad. I go home and deny the wing."

« Reply #44 on: August 12, 2014, 07:41:18 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
So very sad ,  I was a big fan , especially his early Mork and Mindy days .

I always associated him with happiness and fun.   So sorry to see him leave this way.

Hope he is somewhere better now.