Author Topic: 2014-15 EPL season  (Read 27514 times)

Re: 2014-15 EPL season
« Reply #60 on: February 11, 2015, 10:45:22 AM »

Offline LatterDayCelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 171
  • Community Text
Is it the beginning of the end.
Banner 18 please 😍

« Reply #61 on: February 21, 2015, 09:31:11 PM »

Offline Adelaide Celt

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 206
Hard not to be furious with that biased refereeing against Burnley. 2 clear penalties denied and Barnes somehow doesn't get so much as a yellow for a disgraceful challenge that could easily have broken Matic's leg. Sending off Matic after his reaction was understandable but he clearly had every right to be angry.

I guess the refs obviously know the EPL, like any professional sports league, is a business and it's much better for business to have the season go down to the wire rather than have a team win comfortably.
NO AMOUNT OF PSYCHOLOGICAL MANIPULATION, HORMONAL OR SURGICAL MUTILATION WILL EVER CHANGE A PERSON'S GENDER

« Reply #62 on: March 01, 2015, 03:01:28 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
League Cup Final. Chelsea vs Tottenham.

Kind of worried for Chelsea today. No Matic. They have often struggled for balance defensively in midfield without Matic available. Hoping Chelsea play two CMs behind Fabregas like they did in Paris against PSG. If they play Fabregas as box-to-box alongside only one holder, I worry about Eriksen getting too much space. He wrecked havoc on Chelsea's defense on New Year's Day.

I think Tottenham might be slight favourites heading into this one.

Update: sounds like Mikel is a doubt too due to injury so Cesc + Ramires as CMs looking more and more likely.

Update: Zouma has started as destroyer in midfield with Ramires and Fabregas alongside them. Fabregas looks very deep in first 30 minutes. Defensive midfielder + two box-to-box midfielders. Chelsea struggling to get on the ball and create chances in final third. Very defensive lineup. Tottenham the aggressor thus far.

It is disappointing there is no Matic today. This is not attacking Chelsea that were so much fun to watch in the first half of the season. This is the park-the-bus Chelsea Mourinho turns to when he is in a tough spot.

Update: Chelsea struggling to build any passing movements. Playing Zouma is like playing with a man less in midfield. Zouma is doing nothing when Chelsea have possession. He has been superb defensively in protecting that zone but the attack has really suffered. Ramires isn't doing much either. So Fabregas cannot move forward because they cannot hold onto the ball properly and build attacks. So it more about direct passes forward and one-on-one play from Costa, Hazard and/or Willian.

Chelsea do not look capable of scoring a goal from possession based attack in open play. If they score, it'll either be from a counter attack or a set piece. And there goes, GOAL by John Terry from a set piece. Stupid needless foul by Chadli in a dangerous area to gift Chelsea that chance. Tottenham have only themselves to blame.

Tottenham getting very little from Chadli or Andros Townsend. Neither providing the team enough quality going forward. Eriksen is being shut out by Zouma. Tottenham struggling to create chances. Need to make some changes (Chadli & Townsend) at halftime. Lamela should be coming on.

Update: Zouma is pretty much man-marking Eriksen. Eriksen needs to switch positions with one of Tottenham's wings. Force Zouma to make a decision. He'll either go with Eriksen and leave an open space for Tottenham to exploit or Eriksen can get free of Zouma (albeit in a less advantageous part of the pitch for him). Do not understand why Eriksen is staying so central all the time. It is making him easy for Zouma to defend him & for Chelsea to maintain overall defensive shape.

Update: Goal Costa! Nice through ball from Fabregas but there was still a lot of work for Costa to do. Costa's close control gets him a yard of space away from his defender, smashes the shot in, deflection, Lloris has no chance, beats him at near post. Chelsea up 2-0!!

It should be plain sailings here on in for Chelsea. Their defense has been great. Tottenham do not look like scoring. Hard to see Chelsea losing a two goal advantage.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 12:15:50 PM by Who »

« Reply #63 on: March 21, 2015, 09:04:02 AM »

Offline Adelaide Celt

• Bill Walton
Went to see Paul Canoville speak today. Awesome experience, such a charismatic, down-to-earth and incredibly spirited person. I admire the man. Few sportsmen have had to deal with the sorts of things he has. Legend.

NO AMOUNT OF PSYCHOLOGICAL MANIPULATION, HORMONAL OR SURGICAL MUTILATION WILL EVER CHANGE A PERSON'S GENDER

« Reply #64 on: April 13, 2015, 07:04:46 AM »

Offline LatterDayCelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 171
  • Community Text
City choking rather dramatically, and Van Gaal's philosophy catching on.
Banner 18 please 😍

« Reply #65 on: April 16, 2015, 12:55:09 AM »

Offline Sixth Man

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 82
City choking rather dramatically, and Van Gaal's philosophy catching on.

We're not 'choking' as we are actually IMPLODING... :'(  Bye-bye, Manny, hello, Jürgen.
There will be many players leaving City at season's end, as well as more than a few coming in.  Three or four kids will come into the first squad, as well. 

Great win for United, though...congrats to them and to Chelski for winning the League.  No doubt in my mind that they were the best club this season. 

« Reply #66 on: April 25, 2015, 10:22:30 AM »

Offline Adelaide Celt

• Bill Walton
I saw that Kyle Walker was trending on Twitter and assumed he must've scored the winning goal against Southampton. I was wrong.

« Reply #67 on: May 03, 2015, 02:27:17 PM »

Offline Adelaide Celt

• Bill Walton
Now that the Premier League title is won, for the remaining 3 games I would like Chelsea to send out teams made up entirely of defenders and defensive midfielders and strive for 0-0 scorelines. Just to annoy the whingeing self-proclaimed experts in the media and the happy shoppers watching at home.

« Reply #68 on: June 22, 2015, 12:14:22 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #69 on: June 22, 2015, 01:38:33 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Arsenal's defense should be a lot better next year. Cech in goal. Gabriel fully acclimated to English football. Full season of Coquelin. Bellerin a year older. Debuchy healthy again.

I'd love to see them go after Raheem Sterling. I think they need one more player in the final third who is a one-on-one player. Someone who gives them something different. Too reliant on passes.

« Reply #70 on: June 27, 2015, 05:36:49 AM »

Offline Sixth Man

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 82
I didn't want to open another thread, but BOY! Good news, gooners

http://Http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3134744/Petr-Cech-signs-Arsenal-Chelsea-goalkeeper-leaves-Stamford-Bridge.html

You already had not only Wojciech Szcz?sny, but also Ospina, who was nothing short of remarkable yesterday against Argentina, not to mention his form in the last World Cup.  Why would you waste money to bring in Cech?!

« Reply #71 on: June 27, 2015, 07:11:10 AM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166

http://Http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3134744/Petr-Cech-signs-Arsenal-Chelsea-goalkeeper-leaves-Stamford-Bridge.html

He's lost a step or two and doesn't have the same reaction time.  Good signing for the team but not a savior.
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #72 on: June 29, 2015, 11:29:40 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
IT'S OFFICIAL! Pete Cech is a Gunner!

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/20150629/petr-cech-agrees-to-join-arsenal

You already had not only Wojciech Szcz?sny, but also Ospina, who was nothing short of remarkable yesterday against Argentina, not to mention his form in the last World Cup.  Why would you waste money to bring in Cech?!

Because Szczesny and Ospina aren't world class quality. Ospina has been good, but nothing spectacular. There are also concerns about his lack of size as he's only 6 feet. Szczesny has maturity and inconsistency issues.

Cech may not be the same top class keeper than we was, but is still better in quality. He had 5 clean sheets in 7 appearances, which tells you he still has it.

He could be a great mentor to Szcesny too, at the very worst. I believe Cech is bringing his coach to the Emirates as well (I need to look that up but I read it somewhere), so at worst he's could be a mentor to a young, promising goalkeeper who still strugglinf to find consistency.

But overall, he's just better than the two we already have. And improvement is always welcomed.

Ospina may move to Turkey after this. Fenerbace is very interested.

« Reply #73 on: June 29, 2015, 11:45:41 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Arsenal's defense should be a lot better next year. Cech in goal. Gabriel fully acclimated to English football. Full season of Coquelin. Bellerin a year older. Debuchy healthy again.

I'd love to see them go after Raheem Sterling. I think they need one more player in the final third who is a one-on-one player. Someone who gives them something different. Too reliant on passes.

Raheem Sterling will cost way too much. They should just go for Alexander Lacazette and call it a summer.

« Reply #74 on: July 11, 2015, 09:52:21 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
OH! Huge news. Bastian Schweinsteiger moves to Old Trafford.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/33492562

The 30-year-old is believed to have told Bayern he does not want to extend his contract, which runs to 2016.
Bayern's Chief executive Karl-Heinz Rummenigge  said: "We have reached an agreement with Manchester United over a transfer."