Author Topic: Pistons/Rockets/Celtics three way big trade idea: Drummond to Celtics  (Read 16702 times)

Re: Pistons/Rockets/Celtics three way big trade idea: Drummond to Celtics
« Reply #45 on: August 11, 2014, 07:25:42 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
People who value Drummond don't think he is a superstar right now.  Maybe he never develops and then the athletic Asik description fits.  But what are the chances that he stops developing?  He will probably be closer to Howard and Shaq than Asik by the time he is done.  He and Cousins are probably the only centers in the league with that kind of potential.

Remember when Okafor was preferred by many over Howard because he was more skilled?  Howard became arguably a top 2 player in the league for a few seasons.  Monroe is Okafor.  A very good player with no chance to be a freak player.

« Reply #46 on: August 11, 2014, 07:29:24 PM »

Offline dmopower

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 46
I have to say im suprised at how many people value a big that can rebound and block shots over a big that can rebound, score, pass, hit ft's. And isnt hidden on offense.  Miami's big's, the bulls, the celtics, the Lakers with Gasol and shaq were scorers first  then defenders.

What makes DH 2.0 Drummond so special?  I like the kid and had him on my championship fantasy team.  But come on he is incrediblely limited.  We won with Perk at C and no real rim protector. Play solid team defense and you will need a rim protector less often.  I take Monroe over Drummond 7 days a week.  he makes the other players even more dangerous.  I dont think some of you have ever seen Monroe play judging by reading some of these comments.

How would Drummond even get court time in a close game.  He is a liabilty beyond what Dwight Howard is.

Huh?

Perkins was a great rim protector and he just so happened to play alongside the defensive player of the year when we won. I'm not following.

Perkins was no rim protector!  He protected an area and defended the pick and roll well.  Was very suprising how well he stayed with guards on the roll.  Which is fine and MY POINT.  Rim protectors are overrated on this forum.  Even KG got most of his blocks his entire career rotating and blocking shots not layups or dunks. I mean he got some but mostly shots.
blind optimist or GENIUS

« Reply #47 on: August 11, 2014, 07:32:53 PM »

Offline dmopower

• Jaylen Brown
People who value Drummond don't think he is a superstar right now.  Maybe he never develops and then the athletic Asik description fits.  But what are the chances that he stops developing?  He will probably be closer to Howard and Shaq than Asik by the time he is done.  He and Cousins are probably the only centers in the league with that kind of potential.

Remember when Okafor was preferred by many over Howard because he was more skilled?  Howard became arguably a top 2 player in the league for a few seasons.  Monroe is Okafor.  A very good player with no chance to be a freak player.

I would take Monroe over DH also.  Play better team D and have someone who can actually shoot or make a pass.  Team ball.

And Cousins is soooo much more tallented than Drummond could ever dream of being. I cant believe they were in the same sentence. 
blind optimist or GENIUS

« Reply #48 on: August 11, 2014, 07:52:37 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
I have to say im suprised at how many people value a big that can rebound and block shots over a big that can rebound, score, pass, hit ft's. And isnt hidden on offense.  Miami's big's, the bulls, the celtics, the Lakers with Gasol and shaq were scorers first  then defenders.

What makes DH 2.0 Drummond so special?  I like the kid and had him on my championship fantasy team.  But come on he is incrediblely limited.  We won with Perk at C and no real rim protector. Play solid team defense and you will need a rim protector less often.  I take Monroe over Drummond 7 days a week.  he makes the other players even more dangerous.  I dont think some of you have ever seen Monroe play judging by reading some of these comments.

How would Drummond even get court time in a close game.  He is a liabilty beyond what Dwight Howard is.

Huh?

Perkins was a great rim protector and he just so happened to play alongside the defensive player of the year when we won. I'm not following.

Perkins was no rim protector!  He protected an area and defended the pick and roll well.  Was very suprising how well he stayed with guards on the roll.  Which is fine and MY POINT.  Rim protectors are overrated on this forum.  Even KG got most of his blocks his entire career rotating and blocking shots not layups or dunks. I mean he got some but mostly shots.
I think Perkins was a very good rim protector too.  It's not just blocked shots.  Perk got his body in the way and I'm going to say that his hard fouls on guys who got to the rim count as rim protection also.  Probably made those players think twice the next time too.

« Reply #49 on: August 11, 2014, 07:54:34 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald

I would take Monroe over DH also.  Play better team D and have someone who can actually shoot or make a pass.  Team ball.

And Cousins is soooo much more tallented than Drummond could ever dream of being. I cant believe they were in the same sentence.
You just put them in the same sentence too ;)

« Reply #50 on: August 11, 2014, 07:56:58 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950

Huh?

A rim protector is a player who protects the area around the rim, not necessarily through blocking shots.  Ideally, you want a big man who will occasionally force opposing players to make adjustments to their shots in the vicinity of the rim even if he doesn't block a lot of shots.  Omer Asik, for example, is an elite rim protector who doesn't record a lot of blocks on the stat sheet.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #51 on: August 11, 2014, 08:14:25 PM »

Offline dmopower

• Jaylen Brown

Huh?

A rim protector is a player who protects the area around the rim, not necessarily through blocking shots.  Ideally, you want a big man who will occasionally force opposing players to make adjustments to their shots in the vicinity of the rim even if he doesn't block a lot of shots.  Omer Asik, for example, is an elite rim protector who doesn't record a lot of blocks on the stat sheet.

Fair enough.  I concede the point. I guess the guys everyone clamours for are usually the block  guys.  I have watched Monroe close for 3 years now. He is a solid defender by position and as a good passer he knows the passing lanes on D also. I think he is very under appreciated on here and I think he would excell with Brads system. He is one of the better Centers out there.

Cousins...Drummond.  lol   Ill need some gravy with this crow.  :)  Its not that I hate shot blockers.  I'm just tired of ugly ball where we are hiding someone on the offensive end.  I want a big that can shoot the [dang] ball from 12 to 15 atleast.  And maybe pass like it's not the first time he ever touched a ball, allowing fluid back door cuts.
blind optimist or GENIUS

« Reply #52 on: August 11, 2014, 09:17:51 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
Maybe I overvalue Rondo, but I think the Cs are giving up too much.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #53 on: August 11, 2014, 09:45:33 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Cousins...Drummond.  lol   Ill need some gravy with this crow.  :)  Its not that I hate shot blockers.  I'm just tired of ugly ball where we are hiding someone on the offensive end.  I want a big that can shoot the [dang] ball from 12 to 15 atleast.  And maybe pass like it's not the first time he ever touched a ball, allowing fluid back door cuts.

I want a big with three-point range.  Those guys usually need some help on the defensive end, so my preferred combination is a prototypical stretch four with an elite defensive center.  I have hopes that the Celtics already have a young guy on the roster who can be the power forward I am looking for, so my goal would be to find a center who can compensate for any defensive liabilities.

I also think that the Celtics are better off if Rondo has more freedom to gamble on defense, so I would prefer that they have a defensive presence in the middle who would allow that to happen more.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #54 on: August 11, 2014, 09:58:18 PM »

Online RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1408
  • Let's Go Celtics!
I think your dreaming if you think DET would trade Drummond.

I'm inclined to agree. Even Joe Dumars isn't crazy enough to trade him. Consider that Drummond is just 21 years old, cost controlled and now has the perfect coach in SVG, I don't see a scenario where they trade him.

And for the OP, that's a terrible deal for Houston. Brandon Jennings would be a terrible fit with that Houston team. They need a 3 & D guard that doesn't need the ball to play off of Harden. Oddly enough, Avery Bradley probably would be a perfect fit in that backcourt.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #55 on: August 11, 2014, 10:01:52 PM »

Offline dmopower

• Jaylen Brown

I want a big with three-point range.  Those guys usually need some help on the defensive end, so my preferred combination is a prototypical stretch four with an elite defensive center.  I have hopes that the Celtics already have a young guy on the roster who can be the power forward I am looking for, so my goal would be to find a center who can compensate for any defensive liabilities.

I also think that the Celtics are better off if Rondo has more freedom to gamble on defense, so I would prefer that they have a defensive presence in the middle who would allow that to happen more.

The player you describe would compliment Sully and Oly very well.  I can live without the passing. I just dont want someone who cant shoot 12 footers.

Hibbert might be the way to go.
blind optimist or GENIUS

« Reply #56 on: August 12, 2014, 08:38:45 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
DETROIT WILL NOT TRADE DRUMMOND.  DETROIT WILL NOT TRADE DRUMMOND.  DETROIT WILL NOT TRADE DRUMMOND.  once more for good measure.  DETROIT WILL NOT TRADE DRUMMOND.

That said it is also a terrible trade for Houston.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #57 on: August 12, 2014, 08:55:09 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
DETROIT WILL NOT TRADE DRUMMOND.  DETROIT WILL NOT TRADE DRUMMOND.  DETROIT WILL NOT TRADE DRUMMOND.  once more for good measure.  DETROIT WILL NOT TRADE DRUMMOND.

Why is it terrible for hous?

Beverly is not a starting pg. Jennings will likely do better on a team he doesnt have to  be the number 1 or 2 guy. Zeller is worth a non lotto 1st pick

« Reply #58 on: August 12, 2014, 09:20:36 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

You don't honestly think Greg Monroe plays better team defense than Dwight Howard, do you?  :-\
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #59 on: August 12, 2014, 09:29:07 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549

Why is it terrible for hous?

Beverly is not a starting pg. Jennings will likely do better on a team he doesnt have to  be the number 1 or 2 guy. Zeller is worth a non lotto 1st pick
Zeller, the man Boston acquired with other pieces and a 1st round pick for absolutely nothing is now worth a 1st round pick by himself.

It is a terrible trade for Houston.  They give up Jones, Capela, and a 1st for a guy Detroit would be happy to move on a poorer contract, a backup PF that is expiring, and at best a backup center that was just given away.  It is a terrible trade for Houston.   They downgrade their starting PF (bass isn't as good as Jones at this point), give up a young draftee that a lot of teams really like, and a 1st round pick for basically other teams garbage.

And DETROIT WILL NOT TRADE DRUMMOND, so it is a moot point anyway.

BTW, Beverly started 55 of 56 games last year and seemed to do just fine in the Houston starting lineup.  Not sure why you don't think he will continue to progress and get better this year. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip