Author Topic: Pistons/Rockets/Celtics three way big trade idea: Drummond to Celtics  (Read 16691 times)

Re: Pistons/Rockets/Celtics three way big trade idea: Drummond to Celtics
« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2014, 05:48:17 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
I think your dreaming if you think DET would trade Drummond.

Ok. So keep Drummond and keep not making the playoffs. Thats a nice plan for the long run

Not really understanding some peoples mindset that having big name or marquee players is more important than winning.   I rather be the "boring, uninteresting" spurs than the Rockets any day

There are other ways for Detroit to revamp their roster (and improve their team) that don't involve them trading their best player.  I can't see any plan in which Drummond gets moved.  It doesn't make any sense.  He is by far the best player / highest upside of anyone on their roster.   I am sure Detroit would love to snag Rondo, but they would only do it to pair him with Drummond.

Question. If you had an anthony davis BUT you trade him to get players that gives you a chance to get to the conference finals for a few seasons, do you do the trade?

« Reply #31 on: August 10, 2014, 06:10:21 PM »

Offline celticsfan8591

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 38

Ok. So keep Drummond and keep not making the playoffs. Thats a nice plan for the long run

Not really understanding some peoples mindset that having big name or marquee players is more important than winning.   I rather be the "boring, uninteresting" spurs than the Rockets any day

There are other ways for Detroit to revamp their roster (and improve their team) that don't involve them trading their best player.  I can't see any plan in which Drummond gets moved.  It doesn't make any sense.  He is by far the best player / highest upside of anyone on their roster.   I am sure Detroit would love to snag Rondo, but they would only do it to pair him with Drummond.

Question. If you had an anthony davis BUT you trade him to get players that gives you a chance to get to the conference finals for a few seasons, do you do the trade?

To answer your question, no, I wouldn't, because my goal is to win a championship, and all historical evidence suggests that the most likely way to do that is to have a superstar (and I mean a top 5-10 player, not someone who's made a few All-Star teams).  I'd rather keep Davis (arguably already a superstar and certainly will be one in  a few years) than trade him in a "dollar for three quarters" type of trade.  Granted, Drummond isn't as good as Davis, but the Pistons after that trade are also not a contender.  They might have a shot at the ECF because the Eastern Conference is abysmal, but they'd get annihilated by the Cavs and any of the top teams in the West.  I'd rather keep Drummond (a potential superstar) and try to improve the pieces around him than roll with Rondo/Green/Smith/Monroe.  Do you honestly think that team could win a championship?

« Reply #32 on: August 10, 2014, 06:17:02 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

How would getting Rondo, Green, and Capella, but trading away Drummond and Jennings get them into the ECF? At best they'll be a second round and out team with a huge payroll.

« Reply #33 on: August 10, 2014, 06:49:57 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
You keep pointing out that Detroit is losing with Drunmond as though 1) he isn't just going into his third year (even KD hadn't made the playoffs by this point in his career) and 2) Anthony Davis isn't in the exact same boat. The fact that the Pistons have yet to make the playoffs with Drummond isn't an indictment on Drummond; it's an indictment on the team that hasn't made the playoffs since 2009.

« Reply #34 on: August 10, 2014, 06:50:09 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

To answer your question, no, I wouldn't, because my goal is to win a championship, and all historical evidence suggests that the most likely way to do that is to have a superstar (and I mean a top 5-10 player, not someone who's made a few All-Star teams).  I'd rather keep Davis (arguably already a superstar and certainly will be one in  a few years) than trade him in a "dollar for three quarters" type of trade.  Granted, Drummond isn't as good as Davis, but the Pistons after that trade are also not a contender.  They might have a shot at the ECF because the Eastern Conference is abysmal, but they'd get annihilated by the Cavs and any of the top teams in the West.  I'd rather keep Drummond (a potential superstar) and try to improve the pieces around him than roll with Rondo/Green/Smith/Monroe.  Do you honestly think that team could win a championship?

"potential" superstar and Drummond do not mix imo.  Drummond is like a more athletic Asik. You can't depend on him to carry your team into glory but is a nice 2nd or 3rd piece of the puzzle

Monroe, Smith, Green, KCP, Rondo

is a better/balanced lineup and easily a contender out of the east vs

Drummond, Monroe, Smith, KCP, Jennings (fighting for 8th spot again)

« Reply #35 on: August 10, 2014, 06:53:49 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
Also, any GM who would foolishly give up Anthony Davis merely for the CHANCE to make the conference finals - as in, not even for a better shot at a title, but just a few shots to reach the penultimate stage of the playoffs - deserves to be fired.

« Reply #36 on: August 10, 2014, 06:56:31 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448

How would getting Rondo, Green, and Capella, but trading away Drummond and Jennings get them into the ECF? At best they'll be a second round and out team with a huge payroll.

Exactly.

If you gave me a real offer that could get there we could talk.

Drummond has a ton of potential and Stan Van Gundy came there to build around him.  He isn't going to be traded.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #37 on: August 10, 2014, 07:12:31 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

"potential" superstar and Drummond do not mix imo.  Drummond is like a more athletic Asik. You can't depend on him to carry your team into glory but is a nice 2nd or 3rd piece of the puzzle

Monroe, Smith, Green, KCP, Rondo

is a better/balanced lineup and easily a contender out of the east vs

Drummond, Monroe, Smith, KCP, Jennings (fighting for 8th spot again)

Monroe, Smith, Green, KCP, Rondo in the 14-15 season is the better team, but then how does Detroit's financial flexibility/payroll look going forward? Monroe is going to get near max money, so in all likelihood is Rondo, Smith is at 14M per, and Green is going to either be at 9M or opt out for more money/longer years. So you're looking at approximately 60M for 4 players and none is a go to guy when it counts.

Now compare that to Drummond, Smith, KCP, Jennings.  You don't re-sign Monroe, as he's a bad fit next to Drummond, and instead keep that cap space that add something of substance while only having Jennings, at a reasonable 8M for the next 2 years, and Smith.

Drummond isn't the reason for their struggles, he's a building block to end it. You don't trade him, you build around him.

« Reply #38 on: August 10, 2014, 07:19:57 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

I agree. Alert the media.

Re: Pistons/Rockets/Celtics three way big trade idea
« Reply #39 on: August 10, 2014, 08:20:37 PM »

Offline Geo123

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 33
I like your idea but I doubt Houston or Detroit goes for it, but it is not unreasonable.

Yes it is unreasonable.  The Pistons aren't trading Drummond, period end of story.  Unless they are blown away you don't trade young big men like him.  It's not going to happen.

« Reply #40 on: August 11, 2014, 05:45:20 PM »

Offline dmopower

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 46
I have to say im suprised at how many people value a big that can rebound and block shots over a big that can rebound, score, pass, hit ft's. And isnt hidden on offense.  Miami's big's, the bulls, the celtics, the Lakers with Gasol and shaq were scorers first  then defenders.

What makes DH 2.0 Drummond so special?  I like the kid and had him on my championship fantasy team.  But come on he is incrediblely limited.  We won with Perk at C and no real rim protector.  Play solid team defense and you will need a rim protector less often.  I take Monroe over Drummond 7 days a week.  he makes the other players even more dangerous.  I dont think some of you have ever seen Monroe play judging by reading some of these comments.

How would Drummond even get court time in a close game.  He is a liabilty beyond what Dwight Howard is.
blind optimist or GENIUS

« Reply #41 on: August 11, 2014, 06:59:25 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Despite that fact that this breaks the realms of reality and never has a chance to happen...

I actually like it for all teams involved. Especially the Pistons believe it or not.

« Reply #42 on: August 11, 2014, 07:02:25 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
I have to say im suprised at how many people value a big that can rebound and block shots over a big that can rebound, score, pass, hit ft's. And isnt hidden on offense.  Miami's big's, the bulls, the celtics, the Lakers with Gasol and shaq were scorers first  then defenders.

What makes DH 2.0 Drummond so special?  I like the kid and had him on my championship fantasy team.  But come on he is incrediblely limited.  We won with Perk at C and no real rim protector. Play solid team defense and you will need a rim protector less often.  I take Monroe over Drummond 7 days a week.  he makes the other players even more dangerous.  I dont think some of you have ever seen Monroe play judging by reading some of these comments.

How would Drummond even get court time in a close game.  He is a liabilty beyond what Dwight Howard is.

Huh?

Perkins was a great rim protector and he just so happened to play alongside the defensive player of the year when we won. I'm not following.

« Reply #43 on: August 11, 2014, 07:04:54 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
I'm not really high on Drummond, but Monroe seems to be a defensive liability who could be the worst defender on the team if the Celtics acquired him.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #44 on: August 11, 2014, 07:19:54 PM »

Offline jaketwice

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 102
To Rockets: Brandon Jennings, Zeller, Bass
To Pistons: Rondo, Green, Capela, Celtics 1st, Rockets 1st
To Celtics: Drummond, Terrence Jones, Jerebko, Houston Trade Exception (8.5)

Rockets lineup
C - Howard
PF - Bass
SF - Ariza
SG - Harden
PG - Jennings

Pistons lineup
C- Monroe (signed)
PF - Smith
SF - Green
SG - KCP
PF - Rondo

Celtics lineup
C - Drummond
PF - Sully/KO
SF - Jones/Turner/Young
SG - AB/Turner/Thornton
PG - Smart/Pressey

Imo this is a good trade for everybody. The bottom line is, every team improves/balances their lineup from this trade.  Rockets get a third scorer/pg they need, Celtics get the future center they wanted and the Pistons look like a top 5 team from the east.  BC the pistons potentially have the most to lose from this trade after this season (if Rondo, Green walk) they get compensated with multiple 1sts

thoughts?

TP this is a good idea. Harden and Jennings deserve each other. It really does make sense for all the teams involved... ...it would be a bold and exciting move - and that's why it will never happen.  :P