Author Topic: Another josh smith idea  (Read 3071 times)

Another josh smith idea
« on: August 09, 2014, 10:10:08 PM »

Offline arctic 3.0

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 406
No he's not perfect but he brings defense, shot blocking, intensity and athleticism. ( and he's available for flotsam.

Was thinking about even turner and what his contract looks like.
What if Danny acquired him to flip to Detroit for smith?
Something like bass, turner bogans for smith....

Could run:
Rondo, smart
Bradley, smart
Green, Wallace, young
Smith, oly
Zeller, sully

Re: Another josh smith idea
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2014, 02:11:50 AM »

Offline Geo123

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 33
No he's not perfect but he brings defense, shot blocking, intensity and athleticism. ( and he's available for flotsam.

Could run:
Rondo, smart
Bradley, smart
Green, Wallace, young
Smith, oly
Zeller, sully
[/qu

Salaries don't' add up plus if Detroit wanted Turner they add the cap room to sign him... 

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2014, 07:22:42 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
I don't think I would trade for a guy like Smith this year.  He would make us just a little bit better- right into that dreaded middle ground.  Better to stay young and bad until we can get someone better and maybe younger.

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2014, 08:12:27 AM »

Offline arctic 3.0

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff

Could run:
Rondo, smart
Bradley, smart
Green, Wallace, young
Smith, oly
Zeller, sully

Salaries don't' add up plus if Detroit wanted Turner they add the cap room to sign him...

::)  Do you know what turners contract is? I heard "part of mle"
If you assume that "part of mle" is between $3 and $4 mil than salaries do add up (according to TM)
If his pay is different we have the expendable expiring contracts to make the trade happen.

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2014, 09:04:21 AM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
I do think smith is a good buy low candidate but only for the right team.  It has to be a win soon/now team. He has to play exclusively at pf. He would ideally go to a team with a decent offensive center and a true starting pf so hes forced to do josh smith things (blick steal run out in the break finish in close). The c's have olymyk and sully, who i dont think would be good alongside smith (no true center) so hed probably end up playing sf which is bad for him. If hes teamed with rondo, youd better have very good shooting at the other 3 positions. I could see smith here if we packaged green, sully, olymyk and picks and dealt them for for at least one of a true upgrade at c and sf. I actually think he could pair ok with monroe if monroe was c and smith exclusively pf with good shooting at sg and sf. And i mean established, not our rookie young.

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2014, 09:25:59 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
I do think smith is a good buy low candidate but only for the right team.  It has to be a win soon/now team. He has to play exclusively at pf. He would ideally go to a team with a decent offensive center and a true starting pf so hes forced to do josh smith things (blick steal run out in the break finish in close).
Needs a strong coach too.

I think when you have a player like Josh Smith you have to let him have some leeway to do things you don't want him doing much of (long jump shots) in order to keep him doing all those good things that can make him so valuable (team defense, rebounding, inside scoring, ball movement) ... a lot like Larry Brown used to give Ben Wallace, Mutombo and Ratliff a few low post touches every game to keep them involved offensively and willing to continue doing dirty work defensively and on the glass.

So I think you have to give Josh Smith some leeway with those things, but you need a strong coach who can keep those other bad plays at a workable number because if Josh Smith doesn't respect the coach he'll go buck wild and start jacking shots from anywhere and everywhere as well as give less defensive effort.

So a strong coach who Josh Smith respects is a must. Keep Josh Smith on task as much as possible and minimize the number of bad plays Josh Smith makes.

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2014, 10:15:40 AM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
I do think smith is a good buy low candidate but only for the right team.  It has to be a win soon/now team. He has to play exclusively at pf. He would ideally go to a team with a decent offensive center and a true starting pf so hes forced to do josh smith things (blick steal run out in the break finish in close).
Needs a strong coach too.

I think when you have a player like Josh Smith you have to let him have some leeway to do things you don't want him doing much of (long jump shots) in order to keep him doing all those good things that can make him so valuable (team defense, rebounding, inside scoring, ball movement) ... a lot like Larry Brown used to give Ben Wallace, Mutombo and Ratliff a few low post touches every game to keep them involved offensively and willing to continue doing dirty work defensively and on the glass.

So I think you have to give Josh Smith some leeway with those things, but you need a strong coach who can keep those other bad plays at a workable number because if Josh Smith doesn't respect the coach he'll go buck wild and start jacking shots from anywhere and everywhere as well as give less defensive effort.

So a strong coach who Josh Smith respects is a must. Keep Josh Smith on task as much as possible and minimize the number of bad plays Josh Smith makes.

Yes. And good teammates who put him in a position to succeed.

I really do think that pairing him with 2 paint guys was a mistake though, and an obvious no-no for a team trading for him... they should get him thinking they are getting a pure PF.

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2014, 10:40:34 AM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
Here's an interesting one that I think works even with base year contracts, etc.

Boston Gets:
Monroe S+T at 13.5 per year starting.
Smith

Detroit Gets:
Sully
Wallace
Bass
Joel Anthony

Maybe that's enough...they get to clear Smith's salary and walk away from Monroe with Sully. Maybe they need a pick too.

Now we are at:

Rondo/Smart/Pressy
Bradley/Smart/Thornton/Young
Green/Turner/Young
Smith/Olynyk
Monroe/Zeller/Favo

Then you hope NYK sucks. By the time Carmelo can be traded, so could Thornton, and it becomes a simple Thornton/Green/multple picks for Carmelo:

Rondo/Smart/Pressy
Carmelo/Turner/Young
Smith/Olynyk
Monroe/Zeller/Favo

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2014, 10:43:06 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Here's an interesting one that I think works even with base year contracts, etc.

Boston Gets:
Smith

Detroit Gets:
Sully
Wallace
Bass
Joel Anthony

Maybe that's enough...they get to clear Smith's salary and walk away from Monroe with Sully. Maybe they need a pick too.

Now we are at:

Rondo/Smart/Pressy
Green/Turner/Young
Smith/Olynyk
Monroe/Zeller/Favo

Then you hope NYK sucks. By the time Carmelo can be traded, so could Thornton, and it becomes a simple Thornton/Green/multple picks for Carmelo:

Rondo/Smart/Pressy
Carmelo/Turner/Young
Smith/Olynyk
Monroe/Zeller/Favo

Would rather just have Josh Smith, then try to bring in Melo.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2014, 05:49:40 PM »

Offline arctic 3.0

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff

Boston Gets:
Smith

Detroit Gets:
Sully
Wallace
Bass
Joel Anthony

Now we are at:

Rondo/Smart/Pressy
Green/Turner/Young
Smith/Olynyk
Monroe/Zeller/Favo

Rondo/Smart/Pressy
Carmelo/Turner/Young
Smith/Olynyk
Monroe/Zeller/Favo

I like this idea and threw it out to the blog a while back.
Definitely think it would take more then sully and detritus but definitely think the end result would be a far better team then most would expect.
Monroe has suffered from poor coaching and team atmosphere. He is an excellent up tempo center who could easily average 20 and 10.
Smith would really benefit from playing the 4 on a team with a pass first point guard. His D would make Monroe's lack of shot blocking less of an issue.
Rondo,Bradley, green, smith Monroe. Ok by me.

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2014, 07:27:09 PM »

Offline cletus1985

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 408
I don't think DET is looking to part with both, I think they really want to pair one of those guys with Drummond.

You got me thinking though and I spent some time thinking about how we could make a Smith trade work for us to truly become a better team without giving up the farm and here is my complicated conclusion.

Trade 1: http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=n9smayd

Boston sends out Bass, Anthony, and Bogans to DET for Smith. Also BOS sends them one of our lower picks.

DET gets out of Smith's contract for the next 3 yrs and gets some cap relief this year and tons next year. They get a pick to save face so they get some value out of Smith (I believe they want him gone bad enough to give him away).

Trade 2 (combined on trade machine to save clicks):

BOS sends Sully, Babb, and Johnson to IND and receives Mahimi.

IND gets some small cap savings in a year they won't compete anyway and they get a PF that will be around to pair with George and Hibbert when George returns and West is on his way out. We get a C that can defend and run.

Trade 3: http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=q923lqj

BOS sends out Thornton to DEN and receives Mozgov and KCP, DEN sends out Chandler to DET for Singler.

With McGee returning, Hickson, and the signing of Nurkic DEN is stacked at C, this trade clears cap room next year and gives them depth at Guard which they had issues with last year. Singler gives them a backup at SF with Chandler being traded. We probably have to send some picks to entice DEN on this one.

DET gets a legit SF to pair with their bigs in exchange for 2 players that aren't exactly lighting the NBA on fire and may not ever amount to anything.

BOS lineup this year:

Rondo/Smart/Pressey
Bradley/KCP/ Young
Green/Turner/Wallace
Smith/Olynk
Mozgov or Mahimi/ Zeller/ Fav

I think these trades are realistic, makes us really deep, doesn't rob our assets, and makes BOS a much more attractive FA destination. We won't be contenders this year, but probably a playoff team and next year FA's could see themselves as the missing piece of the puzzle to this team.