Author Topic: 2015 trade deadline possibility: Bring in Al Jefferson  (Read 11940 times)

Re: 2015 trade deadline possibility: Bring in Al Jefferson
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2014, 12:32:59 AM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
Hornets have a gooood thing going with Jefferson and now Stephenson. Making the playoffs last year. Young talent around those two guys. They made a big investment to Jefferson, it paid off, then they were able to keep moving along and add Stephenson to the mix. Big ALs gonna be in Chartown for quite some time.

Only if he agrees to stay for the long run.  If the Hornets are out of playoff contention by the trade deadline and big AL does not agree to a long term extension, i can't see the Hornets keeping him.

Unless someone gets injured, Charlotte's making the playoffs. Getting Stephenson, adding Marvin Williams to replace McBob. They're going to be better than last year.

who is the Hornets PF for this season??

Mcbob was a key piece for them last season

"Adding Marvin Williams to replace McBob"

Josh was an important piece for them last year, but he's pretty replaceable. Not only did they adequately replace him, they also added an additional all-star caliber talent in Stephenson who's gonna have a massive chip on his shoulder.  They'll be a top 5 team. If they get something out of Zeller, they'll be even better. Disaster would have to strike for them tob make Big Al available. He's the biggest free agent addition of MJ's tenure.

Supporting my opinion of Big Al's horrible defense are these IRREFUTABLE STATS and FACTS:

http://royvarney.com/blog/?p=275

Smitty77

P.S. Also, I expect Big Al to miss at least 20 to 30 games with continued ankle and foot issues as these carry over from the playoffs.

« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2014, 01:49:12 AM »

fitzhickey

The Hornets are trying to build something.  Why would they trade the best player, the All-Nba third team center, double double guy, leading scorer....

For a Celtics poopoo platter?

It is simply RIDICULOUS that Big Al was All-NBA third team.  Are you serious?????????  The NBA is a JOKE.  Big Al had a very nice year offensively, but he is still one of the WORST starting center defenders in the ENTIRE league, period!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  That FACT should NOT EVEN ALLOW him to get votes for All-NBA.  This shows how that sportscasters and broadcasters (the ones who voted) have really become enamored with OFFENSE and the scoring of points and NOT defense (what REALLY WINS World Titles).

Smitty77
He's not great, but I think you're exaggerating slightly about his defensive ability (or lack thereof). Big Al is one of the best big men in the league.

« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2014, 01:55:03 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Hornets have a gooood thing going with Jefferson and now Stephenson. Making the playoffs last year. Young talent around those two guys. They made a big investment to Jefferson, it paid off, then they were able to keep moving along and add Stephenson to the mix. Big ALs gonna be in Chartown for quite some time.

Only if he agrees to stay for the long run.  If the Hornets are out of playoff contention by the trade deadline and big AL does not agree to a long term extension, i can't see the Hornets keeping him.

Unless someone gets injured, Charlotte's making the playoffs. Getting Stephenson, adding Marvin Williams to replace McBob. They're going to be better than last year.

Josh was an important piece for them last year, but he's pretty replaceable. Not only did they adequately replace him, they also added an additional all-star caliber talent in Stephenson who's gonna have a massive chip on his shoulder.  They'll be a top 5 team. If they get something out of Zeller, they'll be even better. Disaster would have to strike for them tob make Big Al available. He's the biggest free agent addition of MJ's tenure.

Supporting my opinion of Big Al's horrible defense are these IRREFUTABLE STATS and FACTS:

Smitty77

P.S. Also, I expect Big Al to miss at least 20 to 30 games with continued ankle and foot issues as these carry over from the playoffs.

IRREFUTABLE STATS AND FACTS.  ;D
Al Jefferson's not the best rim protector in the game, but with the right defensive schemes (which you have to tailor to him) he's adequate enough, and is still a net positive.

It was a real shame he didn't make the All-Star game last year, IMO.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2014, 09:15:57 AM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen

Smitty77

Al Jefferson's not the best rim protector in the game, but with the right defensive schemes (which you have to tailor to him) he's adequate enough, and is still a net positive.

You do realize that he allowed the second highest FG% in the paint outside of Pekovic, another guy I hear people clamoring for us to trade for??????????????

We all should be BEGGING Danny to trade for Larry Sanders, who allowed the LOWEST FG% at the rim.  His stock is probably at its lowest after last season's injury and all.

Smitty77

« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2014, 01:15:11 PM »

Offline dmopower

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 46
Big al is a horcat, don't think that's going to change any time soon. he's brought a level of excitement and hope to that franchise that it hasn't seen in years.
Greg Monroe's a nice option if you want to go that route...

I completly agree. Jefferson is there to stay and they will be good.  I watched half of their games last year and they are coached well, run a system that caters to AJ's scoring ability and still had a top 10 defense in the league. Top 5 for a while.

Greg Monroe is the route we should probably go now that Love is a Cav.  Monroe is an excellent passer for a big and would compliment Brad's motion offense well.  In College he ranked 3rd in transitioned points for a center as he runs hard, has a decient handle and understands spacing and passing lanes very well. Monroe cant score like AJ but he is far better than average in several catagories and thats been playing in a bad system.  He averaged 3.7 assist a game his second year in school.  Thats impressive for any big in college.
blind optimist or GENIUS

« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2014, 02:05:52 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

Smitty77

You do realize that he allowed the second highest FG% in the paint outside of Pekovic, another guy I hear people clamoring for us to trade for??????????????

We all should be BEGGING Danny to trade for Larry Sanders, who allowed the LOWEST FG% at the rim.  His stock is probably at its lowest after last season's injury and all.

Smitty77

Yet his team was on of the most efficient defenses in the NBA last year. 

And what does that chart actually mean?  It looks pretty.  The guy made it on his own 'personal website'.   And when I looked it up, it looks like he is a journalism student somewhere. 

« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2014, 12:46:43 PM »

Offline GetLucky

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 349
The Hornets are trying to build something.  Why would they trade the best player, the All-Nba third team center, double double guy, leading scorer....

For a Celtics poopoo platter?

It is simply RIDICULOUS that Big Al was All-NBA third team.  Are you serious?????????  The NBA is a JOKE.  Big Al had a very nice year offensively, but he is still one of the WORST starting center defenders in the ENTIRE league, period!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  That FACT should NOT EVEN ALLOW him to get votes for All-NBA.  This shows how that sportscasters and broadcasters (the ones who voted) have really become enamored with OFFENSE and the scoring of points and NOT defense (what REALLY WINS World Titles).

Smitty77

I tend to agree with you, but Charlotte had one of the best defenses in the league last year. I personally think that this speaks volumes about the coach, but it must've helped Big Al's case that he wasn't bringing the team down too much. (I have no idea what the advanced stats say, but I'm just saying that his deficiency was hidden reasonably well, maximizing his image around the league.) EDIT: Many have already said this- my mistake. Also, the NBA is the only league in which you can make All-NBA and not
be an all star (or be DPOY and not be 1st team all defense).

On another note, if this were to happen (although it's not likely), we would have a dangerous post duo in AJ and Sully. Think, Big Al has his myriad of post moves, and when a defender tries to get cute and "pull the chair out," we have Sully to sit on his leg.

« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2014, 01:25:56 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
The ABSOLUTE last thing Charlotte is trying to do right now is go back to rebuilding. I guarantee they would cash in their assets to strengthen their team rather than trade Jefferson. Like, do you guys realize this is the same team that won 7 games three seasons ago? The same team that has had two playoff appearances ever in its history? Rebuilding is simply not an option for them.

Selling off your players for draft picks is not the only recourse available for fringe playoff teams.

« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2014, 12:11:14 AM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
The ABSOLUTE last thing Charlotte is trying to do right now is go back to rebuilding. I guarantee they would cash in their assets to strengthen their team rather than trade Jefferson. Like, do you guys realize this is the same team that won 7 games three seasons ago? The same team that has had two playoff appearances ever in its history? Rebuilding is simply not an option for them.

Selling off your players for draft picks is not the only recourse available for fringe playoff teams.

MJ has NEVER successfully owned or managed an NBA team and it will NOT start now.  He simply has NO CLUE how to run a team.  Watch and learn.  He is consistently abysmal as the sun comes up each day.

Smitty77

« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2014, 02:57:55 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

MJ has NEVER successfully owned or managed an NBA team and it will NOT start now.  He simply has NO CLUE how to run a team.  Watch and learn.  He is consistently abysmal as the sun comes up each day.

Smitty77
Up until his signing of Big Al, I would have agreed with you.  the past couple of offseasons MJ has actually done a decent job.  I can't even argue with his draft picks this year which usually are pretty bad.  they may still be busts but they were reasonable picks based on projected talent at the time they were picked

« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2014, 07:29:25 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950

Charlotte seemed to start acting smarter when they hired Rich Cho to replace Rod Higgins as GM.

Jordan doesn't have to run a team well, he just has to acknowledge that he's not good at it and hire someone smarter to manage things.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2014, 08:01:55 PM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145
One problem we still would not have a rim protector.

I think people are a bit overobsessed with rim protection. Jefferson is easily a top 10 (5?) center, much better than someone like Asik who protects the rim but lacks offensive skill. If we could get him, which we can't, we should, screw rim protection our perimeter players will just have to D up.

« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2014, 08:04:06 PM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145

Smitty77
Up until his signing of Big Al, I would have agreed with you.  the past couple of offseasons MJ has actually done a decent job.  I can't even argue with his draft picks this year which usually are pretty bad.  they may still be busts but they were reasonable picks based on projected talent at the time they were picked

yeah, he may have reached a bit on Stauskas but at least he didn't take Ougie...

« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2014, 09:25:31 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950

I think people are a bit overobsessed with rim protection. Jefferson is easily a top 10 (5?) center, much better than someone like Asik who protects the rim but lacks offensive skill. If we could get him, which we can't, we should, screw rim protection our perimeter players will just have to D up.

I think some people are a bit over-obsessed with post offense.  I'd take Asik over Jefferson. 
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2014, 09:37:09 PM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280

I think some people are a bit over-obsessed with post offense.  I'd take Asik over Jefferson.

And a lot of people over-obsess over Asik. Zeller has put up similar numbers out side the block shots in less minutes last season and was coming back from injury and surgery. Rim protection doesn't mean block shots, it just needs to keep guys away from the rim, and make them take bad shots around it. Zeller moves very well side to side. He's 5 years younger and 13 mill cheaper.

I'd keep Zeller over both this season because there is not sense getting either one. Maybe, just maybe the basketball gods will be with us this season and we can land a top 3 this year.