Author Topic: Nba could block kevin love trade  (Read 11205 times)

Re: Nba could block kevin love trade
« Reply #30 on: August 09, 2014, 07:24:41 PM »

Offline freshinthehouse

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
It would be 100% ridiculous for the NBA to block the trade.  It's a fair deal; a highly-touted #1 pick for an All-NBA player.  Minny's not going to get a better offer for Love; it would be killer to that franchise if the deal was vetoed. 

And what's the issue?  That Cleveland and Love have more-or-less agreed to a contract extension, before the trade is *officially* completed?  Who the **** cares?  Boston did that with KG.  If Love wasn't being traded, he could be talking extension with Minny.  It benefits all three teams to let Cleveland and Love talk; Cleveland gets assurances Love's going to be around, Love gets his contract security, and Minny gets the maximum return on the trade.  This hurts no one.

No, not really. It would actually be 100% ridiculous for the trade to go through(which it probably will.)

Doesn't it seem kinda strange to you how conveniently "lucky" the Cavs have been this summer?

It's time for the BS to stop otherwise why not just take the entire NBA and place them in Cleveland?

Not to mention the Cavs are also looking at adding Marion and Ray in addition to dealing for Love.

Personally, if this all goes down, it will make me sick to my stomach.

I am a Celtics fan and I really don't want to see the Cavs have everything gift wrapped and fed to them

Besides winning the lottery, how have they gotten lucky?

I am going to say that the Cavs got lucky by signing the best player in the world without giving anything up for him (as well as the #1 pick that you mentioned). If Lebron, Durant, or A Davis signed with the Cs, I think we would feel pretty lucky.

To me that's not getting lucky.  They recognized the fact that an all-time talent was hitting the market that had ties to their team and to their state, and they did what any smart team would do and made cap room so that they could make him an offer.

I don't consider the Celtics lucky for trading for KG.  DA built the C's to have a bunch of young assets so that when the right big-name player became available, he could put together an appealing trade package.

« Reply #31 on: August 09, 2014, 07:40:18 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704
The NBA can and should block the deal. There are clear CBA rules, and enough indication that a few of those rules were broken. I wouldn't be surprised to see Silver block it, he is not Stern, and he has been a fair and tough GM so far.

« Reply #32 on: August 09, 2014, 08:31:51 PM »

Offline TheTruthFot18

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 263
  • Truth Juice
And the team that should complain loudest, much as I hate them, is the Lakers, since they had to trade for Howard with no assurances he'd stay, and then he walked.

I don't think the Lakers have anyone to blame about that deal other than themselves.  They made the deal knowing DH was going to explore free agency.  I'm sure the Lakers broached the subject with Howard and his agent as soon as the idea of the trade came up.  The definitely knew the risk.

This always reminds me of how everyone crowned the 2011-12 Lakers as the champs only to see them fall apart (epically). And they had more playoff experience
The Nets will finish with the worst record and the Celtics will end up with the 4th pick.

- Me (sometime in January)

--------------------------------------------------------

Guess I was wrong (May 23rd)

« Reply #33 on: August 10, 2014, 10:32:23 AM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 870
I think what happened is that CLE would only include Wiggins if they were sure that Love would extend/resign.  Then LeBron and Love talk and suddenly the deal is done with Wiggins included.  One could deduce that LeBron and Love struck an accord.

If everyone keeps quiet from here on, I doubt the league would void this deal but I think warnings were issued.  I think these back room deals between players are a bad trend and I do think the league is going to have to do something to curtail the practice.

If Cle isn't allowed to discuss an extension with Love pre-trade, then they should not be able to have LeBron talk to Love and it sounds like that is exactly what happened.

« Reply #34 on: August 10, 2014, 10:49:38 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
It would be 100% ridiculous for the NBA to block the trade.  It's a fair deal; a highly-touted #1 pick for an All-NBA player.  Minny's not going to get a better offer for Love; it would be killer to that franchise if the deal was vetoed. 

And what's the issue?  That Cleveland and Love have more-or-less agreed to a contract extension, before the trade is *officially* completed?  Who the **** cares?  Boston did that with KG.  If Love wasn't being traded, he could be talking extension with Minny.  It benefits all three teams to let Cleveland and Love talk; Cleveland gets assurances Love's going to be around, Love gets his contract security, and Minny gets the maximum return on the trade.  This hurts no one.

No, not really. It would actually be 100% ridiculous for the trade to go through(which it probably will.)

Doesn't it seem kinda strange to you how conveniently "lucky" the Cavs have been this summer?

It's time for the BS to stop otherwise why not just take the entire NBA and place them in Cleveland?

Not to mention the Cavs are also looking at adding Marion and Ray in addition to dealing for Love.

Personally, if this all goes down, it will make me sick to my stomach.

I am a Celtics fan and I really don't want to see the Cavs have everything gift wrapped and fed to them

Besides winning the lottery, how have they gotten lucky?

I am going to say that the Cavs got lucky by signing the best player in the world without giving anything up for him (as well as the #1 pick that you mentioned). If Lebron, Durant, or A Davis signed with the Cs, I think we would feel pretty lucky.

To me that's not getting lucky.  They recognized the fact that an all-time talent was hitting the market that had ties to their team and to their state, and they did what any smart team would do and made cap room so that they could make him an offer.

An all-time talent having strong ties to their area is the lucky part. Other teams could have come up with the cap space to sign LeBron, but that wouldn't make it likely that he'd sign there.

« Reply #35 on: August 10, 2014, 11:19:07 AM »

Offline incoherent

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 278
  • 7 + 11 = 18
Not only is there zero chance this gets blocked, I do not... under any circumstances, see in any possible way how this was collusion in any case.  There is literally no way to look at this and say the Cavs have cheated somehow. 

Can 1 person here point out 1 piece of proof that shows there's any reason to block this trade?

This headline, passed down from ESPN is 100% certifiable clickbait with ZERO merit.

« Reply #36 on: August 10, 2014, 11:54:06 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
Yeah, sorry irrational Kevin Love haters, but Love is still better than Wiggins and Bennett. There is absolutely no argument whatsoever. I'm not saying that Wiggins and Bennett don't both have potential to get better, they do, but you are deluding yourself if you think both of them this season will immediately jump to All-Star caliber status.
He is, but I'm sure Cleveland could still trade Bennett to Philly for Thad Young.  Boston might be interested in Bennett + Delladova (for salary) for Green.  Doing that you immediately upgrade Bennett and you still have Wiggins and your 1st round pick. 

Which team would you rather have

Irving, Wiggins, James, Young or Green, Varejao with Waiters, Thompson, Marion, Miller, Haywood

or

Irving, Waiters, James, Love, Varejao with Thompson, Marion, Miller, Haywood, Jones

I mean it is an interesting question.  I'd probably still rather have the Love team, but it is much closer when you consider trading Bennett for an upgrade and keeping Wiggins and the 1st (who you could still trade later).

2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #37 on: August 10, 2014, 12:29:45 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
So check it out, I am thinking this should be the Cleveland Cavs roster coming opening night:

PG - Kyrie Irving/Chris Paul/Damian Lillard/Russell Westbrook
SG-Kobe Bryant/Ray Allen/Dion Waiters/Klay Thompson
SF-Lebron James/Shawn Marion/Kevin Durant/Carmelo Anthony/Greg Anthony
PF-Kevin Love/Lamarcus Aldridge/Tristan Thompson/Blake Griffin
C-Andersen Varajeo/Dwight Howard/Andre Drummond/ 1962 version of Wilt Chamberlain/1985 version of Kareen Abdul Jabar/Marc Gasol

Also, they get the number 1 pick from 2015 to 3987

« Reply #38 on: August 10, 2014, 12:51:03 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Well, it's just the way the NBA works

All the good players pile on a team or two in the west and the same happens in the East .....

Kinda like grade school on the playground.....all the most athletic kids are on one team .....and all the geeks on another .

Funny how stuff stays the same ....just the prizes are bigger

« Reply #39 on: August 10, 2014, 01:01:08 PM »

Offline Greenbean

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 418
So check it out, I am thinking this should be the Cleveland Cavs roster coming opening night:

PG - Kyrie Irving/Chris Paul/Damian Lillard/Russell Westbrook
SG-Kobe Bryant/Ray Allen/Dion Waiters/Klay Thompson
SF-Lebron James/Shawn Marion/Kevin Durant/Carmelo Anthony/Greg Anthony
PF-Kevin Love/Lamarcus Aldridge/Tristan Thompson/Blake Griffin
C-Andersen Varajeo/Dwight Howard/Andre Drummond/ 1962 version of Wilt Chamberlain/1985 version of Kareen Abdul Jabar/Marc Gasol

Also, they get the number 1 pick from 2015 to 3987

If the C's play their game, they have a chance of making it out of the east against this team.

« Reply #40 on: August 10, 2014, 01:04:35 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
Not only is there zero chance this gets blocked, I do not... under any circumstances, see in any possible way how this was collusion in any case.  There is literally no way to look at this and say the Cavs have cheated somehow. 

Can 1 person here point out 1 piece of proof that shows there's any reason to block this trade?

This headline, passed down from ESPN is 100% certifiable clickbait with ZERO merit.
The Cavs are not allowed to talk about a contract extension or resign with Love.  They circumvented this by having LeBron talk to him.  This is kind of a loop hole that allowed the Cavs to get an assurance from Love that he would resign or extend in Cle.  It appears that before getting this assurance, the Cavs were unwilling to include Wiggins.  After the Love/Lebron talk, suddenly Wiggins is in the deal and it is done.

I agree that it is unlikely that the deal will be blocked but I do feel there is a legitimate issue at play here.  Is it going to be allowed that players can talk to each other about contracts when it would be considered tampering if the teams did it direct.  I think the league has to figure out a way to stop this from happening.

« Reply #41 on: August 10, 2014, 02:02:32 PM »

Offline incoherent

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 278
  • 7 + 11 = 18

The Cavs are not allowed to talk about a contract extension or resign with Love.  They circumvented this by having LeBron talk to him.  This is kind of a loop hole that allowed the Cavs to get an assurance from Love that he would resign or extend in Cle. It appears that before getting this assurance, the Cavs were unwilling to include Wiggins.  After the Love/Lebron talk, suddenly Wiggins is in the deal and it is done.

I agree that it is unlikely that the deal will be blocked but I do feel there is a legitimate issue at play here.  Is it going to be allowed that players can talk to each other about contracts when it would be considered tampering if the teams did it direct. I think the league has to figure out a way to stop this from happening.

Ok, the Wolves and the Cavs are allowed to talk to each other about trading Love for Wiggins. That is 100% ok.

But, based on what you are saying, once they start asking each other if Wiggins or Love would like to play in their new cities.. this becomes collusion?

How is it collusion if the team asking for a player in trade wants to know if they are "willing" to resign there. How is that collusion? I dont get it.  They are already dicussing trading for him, of course they have to know if he would resign with them, dont they? 

Where in the NBA rules does it say that when teams talk to eachother about players they cant ask " Hey do you think your player would even want to play on our team? Would he like it here, do you think he would resign?"  They cant ask those questions? Seriously?  IF that is true then I think they need to do away with that rule because it's pretty important to know for franchises.

« Reply #42 on: August 10, 2014, 02:13:23 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
The CBA permits extend-and-trade deals, where a player is signed to an extension and immediately traded (as Kevin Garnett did in coming to Boston).  If such a trade is permitted, there must be some allowable mechanism for a team to determine if the player they want is interested in signing an extension.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #43 on: August 10, 2014, 02:43:53 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
Ok, the Wolves and the Cavs are allowed to talk to each other about trading Love for Wiggins. That is 100% ok.

But, based on what you are saying, once they start asking each other if Wiggins or Love would like to play in their new cities.. this becomes collusion?

How is it collusion if the team asking for a player in trade wants to know if they are "willing" to resign there. How is that collusion? I dont get it.  They are already dicussing trading for him, of course they have to know if he would resign with them, dont they? 

Where in the NBA rules does it say that when teams talk to eachother about players they cant ask " Hey do you think your player would even want to play on our team? Would he like it here, do you think he would resign?"  They cant ask those questions? Seriously?  IF that is true then I think they need to do away with that rule because it's pretty important to know for franchises.

I don't  know all the ins and outs of the CBA but this is what ESPN said about it:

On Thursday, Yahoo! Sports reported that the Cavs and Wolves have agreed to a trade in principle and that Love has an agreement to re-sign with the Cavs next summer for five years, $120 million after opting out of his contract.

But sources insist that no agreement for Love to sign an extension in Cleveland next summer -- when he can become a free agent -- is in place.

In addition, under NBA rules, such an agreement would be illegal, and, if proven, it potentially could be grounds for the league to block this trade and dole out punishment to both teams.

Sources confirmed to ESPN.com that the Cavs and Love can make no such arrangements about the future, even verbally, without violating salary cap circumvention rules in the league's collective bargaining agreement. Love has made it widely known he intends to opt out of his contract at season's end to become a free agent in July 2015, but the circumvention rules state that any discussions between the Cavs and Love regarding any future contract cannot take place until Love becomes a free agent next summer.

I suspect that Love said to LeBron, "sure, I will resign with you" LeBron reported that to Cle Mngt., and then suddenly Wiggins is in the deal.