Author Topic: If you had to choose, Rondo or Bledsoe Max Money  (Read 4944 times)

Re: If you had to choose, Rondo or Bledsoe Max Money
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2014, 10:01:58 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
Rondo by far plus Bledsoe cant stay healthy

Ditto (and I like Bledsoe).

« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2014, 10:16:36 PM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
Rondo

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell

« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2014, 10:18:45 PM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145
Have to consider that the maxes are different, but still I take Rondo. Bledsoe had a great year, but players have definitely been known to have great years in their last year before FA. I think the injury situations to these two guys is a wash. I think the Suns have to sweeten the deal with TJ or Len. I'd do (think salaries work but not sure):

Rondo, Green, Zeller for Bledsoe (S&T for max), Len
Rondo, Bass for Bledsoe, TJ

or even
Rondo, Green, Sully, Zeller for Bledsoe, TJ, Len

Suns might prefer to give a pick than to give either of their prospects, but I'd value either prospect far higher than any picks they could give.

« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2014, 10:19:14 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
12 million per 4 year Bledsoe I may take a shot on. Max no way.

« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2014, 10:24:35 PM »

Offline Vox_Populi

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 346
Rondo. 

Bledsoe was the sg.  When Dragic was off the floor, the Suns offense took a big hit.
Pretty sure Beldsoe played point when both were healthy. According to Basketball-Reference, Dragic split his minutes between the 1 and 2 almost evenly, about 50/50. Bledsoe played point guard about 90% of the time.
Dude come on, Dragic was always the point guard.

How many games did you see Phoenix play?
Not when Bledsoe was healthy. In the games I watched, this was more or less evident, which is why I knew to check the splits in the first place. Look, it was an organic arrangement, but Bledsoe definitely was more of the point guard.

More than 0 but less than 82. That's all I know.

« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2014, 10:00:50 AM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
Rondo. 

Bledsoe was the sg.  When Dragic was off the floor, the Suns offense took a big hit.
Pretty sure Beldsoe played point when both were healthy. According to Basketball-Reference, Dragic split his minutes between the 1 and 2 almost evenly, about 50/50. Bledsoe played point guard about 90% of the time.

Not when Bledsoe was healthy. In the games I watched, this was more or less evident, which is why I knew to check the splits in the first place. Look, it was an organic arrangement, but Bledsoe definitely was more of the point guard.

Why was it evident?  Because he guarded some PGs, initiated some plays, and sometimes brought the ball up?  Plenty of non-PGs do those things.

If you're asking who led the offense on the court, that was obviously Dragic.  If you're asking who created the most opportunities for others, that was Dragic.  You know, actual PG things.  Who is the better ball-handler?  Any time there was a fast break, who were they immediately trying to get the ball to?  Just because Phoenix ran tons of set plays for Bledsoe where he started with the ball in his hands, that doesn't make him the PG.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2014, 12:58:01 PM »

Offline twistedrico

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 22
That's a easy choice RONDO by a mile.

« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2014, 02:34:57 PM »

Offline Vox_Populi

• Antoine Walker
Rondo. 

Why was it evident?  Because he guarded some PGs, initiated some plays, and sometimes brought the ball up?  Plenty of non-PGs do those things.

If you're asking who led the offense on the court, that was obviously Dragic.  If you're asking who created the most opportunities for others, that was Dragic.  You know, actual PG things.  Who is the better ball-handler?  Any time there was a fast break, who were they immediately trying to get the ball to?  Just because Phoenix ran tons of set plays for Bledsoe where he started with the ball in his hands, that doesn't make him the PG.
Likewise, "leading the offense on the court, creating opportunities for others and being the primary fast-break ball handler" aren't PG exclusive things either. Those are delegated to the best offensive player on the team, which was Dragic. James did all that for Miami, Harden does on Houston, Durant while Westbrook was out, Stephenson for Indiana. Heck, anyone who watched the Clippers knew that Griffin became their primary transition ball-handler, he led the entire team in fast break points. Same for San Antonio, Parker didn't push the ball, Leonard did.

Like I said, it was an organic arrangement. I'll admit you probably can't definitively say who was the 2-guard and who played point primarily. From my own observations, Bledsoe was the one who controlled the team in the half-court, he initiated the set offense more often. Phoenix in general rarely played like this. Lastly, if you want more data, NBA.com/stats also deemed Bledsoe as the point guard for the Bledsoe/Dragic 2-man lineup.

« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2014, 03:22:39 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962

Likewise, "leading the offense on the court, creating opportunities for others and being the primary fast-break ball handler" aren't PG exclusive things either.

I didn't say they were exclusive but they are more descriptive of a PG than the other things I listed that Bledsoe sometimes does, and tons of other SGs and SFs do on a consistent basis.

James did all that for Miami, Harden does on Houston, Durant while Westbrook was out, Stephenson for Indiana.

Yeah, FYI LeBron frequently plays point.  Durant played the point when Westbrook was out, don't you remember him averaging 7 assists during that time?  You are making my point (pun intended).

Heck, anyone who watched the Clippers knew that Griffin became their primary transition ball-handler, he led the entire team in fast break points.
Huh?!?!  Leading the team in fast break points has absolutely nothing to do with being the PG or being the primary transition ball-handler/creator.  When a Clipper gets a rebound they look for Paul/Crawford or they hear about.  When Griffin is handling the ball in transition it's because he leaked out ahead of the play or he grabbed the long rebound himself and has permission to go coast to coast

Same for San Antonio, Parker didn't push the ball, Leonard did.
This is false too.  Parker has been the best one man fast break basically since he entered the league, except for maybe this year when, coincidentally, people had Dragic in that conversation.  Obviously the PG doesn't push the ball every time, even Rondo would always give the ball to Pierce or Jeff if they're ahead of the play.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2014, 04:05:19 PM »

Offline Vox_Populi

• Antoine Walker
Likewise, "leading the offense on the court, creating opportunities for others and being the primary fast-break ball handler" aren't PG exclusive things either.
I didn't say they were exclusive but they are more descriptive of a PG than the other things I listed that Bledsoe sometimes does, and tons of other SGs and SFs do on a consistent basis.
Eh, disagree.

Yeah, FYI LeBron frequently plays point.  Durant played the point when Westbrook was out, don't you remember him averaging 7 assists during that time?  You are making my point (pun intended).
James plays point. Harden, Durant, and Stephenson do not. My argument was never about positional responsibilities, which are nebulous, but actual positioning. Those guys do point guard things, it doesn't make them the team's point guard, same with Dragic.

When Griffin is handling the ball in transition it's because he leaked out ahead of the play or he grabbed the long rebound himself and has permission to go coast to coast. Parker has been the best one man fast break basically since he entered the league, except for maybe this year when, coincidentally, people had Dragic in that conversation.  Obviously the PG doesn't push the ball every time, even Rondo would always give the ball to Pierce or Jeff if they're ahead of the play.
I'm not sure what to say, man. We obviously saw different things, which seems to be a recurring problem. But here are some facts. Do you know who led Phoenix in FBPs? Dragic. Do you know who led Houston? Harden. Do you know who led Indiana? George. Dallas? Ellis. Miami? James. Washington? Obviously Wall. Rondo's last healthy season, he led the team. You see the pattern? All those guys dominate the ball in transition, but they aren't always point guards. You don't lead your team in fast-break points, unless you're primary ball-handler on fast-breaks, point guard or not.

Unless you're Corey Brewer.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2014, 04:10:26 PM by Vox_Populi »

« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2014, 04:06:13 PM »

Offline TheTruthFot18

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 263
  • Truth Juice
Rondo by far plus Bledsoe cant stay healthy

This. Scoring PG's are not as productive anyway IMHO
The Nets will finish with the worst record and the Celtics will end up with the 4th pick.

- Me (sometime in January)

--------------------------------------------------------

Guess I was wrong (May 23rd)

« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2014, 04:27:31 PM »

Offline CeltsAcumen

• NCE
  • Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 33
Rondo, because I am loyal and because I think score first point guards are overrated.

« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2014, 05:08:46 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
If Bledsoe were less injury prone I would prefer him due to his age and upside.  I don't like all the injuries from a player so young though. 

« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2014, 06:13:41 PM »

Offline coco

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 146
How about non of the above for max money.  I rather take my chances with Smart than give either a Max deal.

In my eyes, there are about 4 players in the entire league deserving of Max contract....and those two are not on my list. :o