Author Topic: Record Recall: O.C. - Word...Life  (Read 2770 times)

Record Recall: O.C. - Word...Life
« on: August 08, 2014, 03:16:29 PM »

Offline CelticBalla32

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 303
  • Anything is possible
Check out my latest edition of Record Recall over at Rhyme Junkie, where I profile O.C.'s classic debut album Word...Life.

Here's the intro to the article:

O.C. made his debut as the only guest appearance on Organized Konfusion's self-titled 1991 debut album, where he spit a verse on single "Fudge Pudge." That showing wasn't quite enough to elevate the hungry up-and-comer to overnight prominence, but it set the table for what would turn out to make a legitimate impact on the game.

On the strength of his contributions to "Fudge Pudge" and the remix to MC Serch's monumental 1992 smash "Back to the Grill," O.C. proved to the industry that he had his game face on and was ready for the challenge of holding down his own record.

Two years later, a star was born.

O.C.'s inaugural album Word...Life hit the airwaves in 1994 and received universal rave reviews. The album is most known for hit single "Time's Up," which has indisputably gone down as one of the most impressive debut singles of the 90s era, but this wasn't a one-hit wonder situation. Word...Life is a complete record, strapped with bangers from start to finish that amalgamate a remarkable blend of underground smashes with a variety of melodies that penetrate your ears from different angles.

One year into his career, Buckwild put his genius on display, producing eight of the album's 14 tracks and complementing O.C.'s style and delivery flawlessly. O.C. planted his feet and made his presence felt behind top-notch production and showed off his captivating aura on the mic. The slick-talking Brooklyn emcee exhibited a terrific combination of crystal clear enunciation, clean and consistent flow, elite delivery and strong lyrical substance without having to flaunt a fabricated gangsta bravado to get his point across in hard-hitting fashion.

Word...Life is a classic golden age hip hop record. Let's take a look at what makes it stand out.

TAKE A LOOK AT THE FULL ARTICLE HERE

I appreciate all comments and feedback.

What do you guys think of Word...Life? What are some of your favorite tracks from it?
Check out my blog, Chapsketblog - http://chapsketblog.wordpress.com/

Re: Record Recall: O.C. - Word...Life
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2014, 03:38:42 PM »

Offline lon3lytoaster

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 157
  • Word aapp!
OC's dope. Different project, but his LP with Apollo Brown is one of my favorite joints.

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2014, 03:41:56 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
time's up is such a classic

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2014, 04:33:15 PM »

Offline Timdawgg

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 623
It was a decent album but Jewelz was way better. Love My World & War Games..
A winner is someone who recognizes his God-given talents, works his tail off to develop them into skills, and uses these skills to accomplish his goals.

Push yourself again and again. Don't give an inch until the final buzzer sounds.

Larry Bird

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2014, 05:29:24 PM »

Offline sahara

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 84
It was a decent album but Jewelz was way better. Love My World & War Games..

Jewelz is the dopest

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6E6r4tz9Epo

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2014, 06:46:04 PM »

Offline CelticBalla32

• Don Chaney
  • Anything is possible
Thanks for the comments, fellas. Very much appreciated.

I disagree with Timdawgg about Jewelz being better than Word...Life but that one is definitely really good, as well. Especially with production from Premo, can never go wrong there.

I just think Word...Life made more of an impact and has more substance to it. Both are awesome, though.

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2014, 01:34:42 PM »

Offline CelticBalla32

• Don Chaney
  • Anything is possible
Bump